The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 650 & 29er are reported to be very different bikes. Niner just dozers over everything, whilst the 650 is more poppy and feels more alive.

Having said that - my bike felt properly alive yesterday. I can only imagine how it would have felt with a proper shock on teh back (DHX5 Air is a little bit too laggy given that it's a high volume can, and I need a low volume can)

The 650 & 29er are reported to be very different bikes. Niner just dozers over everything, whilst the 650 is more poppy and feels more alive.

Having said that - my bike felt properly alive yesterday. I can only imagine how it would have felt with a proper shock on teh back (DHX5 Air is a little bit too laggy given that it's a high volume can, and I need a low volume can)

I rode both, the 29er is much much easier to ride fast than the 650b. Really steamrolls over anything in your path. If I had the talent to justify owning a Enduro, it would be the 29er for sure.

I rode both, the 29er is much much easier to ride fast than the 650b. Really steamrolls over anything in your path. If I had the talent to justify owning a Enduro, it would be the 29er for sure.

Yeah, they're both VERY capable bikes, and the only Specialized I'd actually buy is one of those. Probably the 650 cos I'm getting more in tune with the trails, and like finding little things to pop off of.

Quite a few in the know (no names mentioned) prefer the feel of the niner. In my experience riding it, when you're going that fast, everything feels alive...

Quite a few in the know (no names mentioned) prefer the feel of the niner. In my experience riding it, when you're going that fast, everything feels alive...

I fell in love with the 29er straight away, while it took me a while to figure out how to ride the 650b. I was much faster and more confident on the 29er. This is not a vs debate, but dammit that 29er is a good bike.

That is very true... 

And, I am a bit of a ham at the technical stuff. So maybe the dozer-ability of the niner would be a good thing. 

But, at the end of the day I'd have to ride both to come to a decision. IF I was in the market for a new bike, which I'm not.

Having said that - this is HOT!!!!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9982855/p5pb9982855.jpg

Specialized is a great bike but unfortunately has become the victim of its own success - coupled with people`s envy and jealousy.

Im not a main stream kind of guy so I try to stay away from Pop Culture.

I go for ride value rather than show value.

Specialized is a great bike and has become the go-to option for many people who fall under the `All the gear - no idea` banner. Specialized has the answer for people who want to `look` pro in all matching kit.

I'm for riders - not show boaters. 

Herewith lies my gripe.

Its the people who `claims` the brand - not the brand - that I have a problem with.

`Anyone with too much money and no imagination can buy a Ferrari - it takes a car fundi to pic a year model, engine, suspension type, interior ect to suit his needs.`

I think you some it up nicely vinny.

I have nothing against Specialized (some top class bikes) or the folk who want to take out a 2nd bond on their house to buy one but I cant help but notice that owning a specialized seems to make people feel more important than they actually are. I'm generalizing yes, but its more obvious compared to those who own other brands...just saying! 

I've been in the market for a new DS MTB and was pretty much against buying a Spez for every negative reason mentioned here and forgot about the actual potential quality of the product... so anyway Spez have been kind enough to loan me a couple of bikes for the last 2 weeks, a Camber and an Epic, long story short... damn they are fine quality bikes and the ride on both has left me smiling from ear to ear. For those of you (like me) who don't like proprietary technology, all I can say is that 'Brain' is absolute genius... So I'm now officially, firmly off the "I hate Spez" Bandwagon.

I've been in the market for a new DS MTB and was pretty much against buying a Spez for every negative reason mentioned here and forgot about the actual potential quality of the product... so anyway Spez have been kind enough to loan me a couple of bikes for the last 2 weeks, a Camber and an Epic, long story short... damn they are fine quality bikes and the ride on both has left me smiling from ear to ear. For those of you (like me) who don't like proprietary technology, all I can say is that 'Brain' is absolute genius... So I'm now officially, firmly off the "I hate Spez" Bandwagon.

I was in in the exact same boat..I spent almost 2 months trying to make up my mind between the Camber and Epic, back and forth on the test bikes. I've got a very patient and accommodating lbs. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140397-what-came-first-the-chickenamber-or-the-eggpic-a-long-probably-boring-read/

I eventually decided on the Camber Comp Carbon and couldn't be happier! bike is awesome! Except for the brakes, I can't fault it at all. (2015 model comes with better brakes, Deore I think)

Guys please help me out, I'm in need of a Spez phenom saddle please. 145 or 155 , even if it has some scuffs .

MY @$$ is used to the profile so i dont want to use something else if I can help it.(I had the 2011/2012 one but a later eddition should also work)

message me (realistically i prefer a second hand hand one, after my crash ...funds are restricted).

Thanks

Guys please help me out, I'm in need of a Spez phenom saddle please. 145 or 155 , even if it has some scuffs .

MY @$$ is used to the profile so i dont want to use something else if I can help it.(I had the 2011/2012 one but a later eddition should also work)

message me (realistically i prefer a second hand hand one, after my crash ...funds are restricted).

Thanks

I have a brand new(well rode it twice) Black 2013 155 Expert that I took off my Epic as I needed a smaller one.

I am not in JHB till the 8th of December again (wedding and honeymoon) but if you can wait till then its yours.