Maxxis Ikon Delaminating

Spez247

Yesterday noticed 2 Maxxis Ikons tyres, on 2 different bikes, have issues. One is a long strip of "delaminating", the other has two large bumps/bubbles. One is so big, the tire hits the rear derailleur. That particular one is 4 months old with very little mileage. It looks new. Ideas as to what is causing this? The older tire has Stans, the newer one was installed by lbs.

Would they be covered by manufacturer's warranty?

Had the same problem with a large bubble forming under the tread. Mine lasted only 50km.

They swopped it out and I have never put the replacement on. Dont trust it.

If I remember correctly maxxis says you shouldn't use sealent with a ammonia in it. This pritty much rules out 80% of the sealents available. I happen to work in a lbs that sells Maxxis like hot cakes and we hardly see any issues.

Make sure that the cause is not your car exhaust when your bike is on the rack.

I had a maxxis crossmark on the back of my 26" commuter and just this week noticed bubbles on the tread, but quit a few of them. It was forming at the same corner on the top of the tyre right next to the little cross logo in the tread. It was next to every one for about 30/40 cm. Rest of the tyre was fine. The tyre is about a year old and has done about 7000km but mostly on tar as I commute/train on this bike. I had stans in there. I went and bought a new tyre and am trying the conti race king out. The maxxis still had enough tread on for road riding but those bubbles felt very soft so I didn't want to risk it, Its now added to the collection of old tyres that my dogs enjoy playing with.

I had the same happen to my rear tyre but that was only after more than 12 months of riding which include 2 x Pioneer Treks.

its not the tires its the STANS

OP stated that only one tyre was running Stan's. Stan's is not the common denominator to the problem. My wife's bike has had Stan's in for almost a year and there's been nothing like the OP described. 

It has to be a manufacturing fault. This seems to be a common problem with certain Maxxis tyres. 

I seriously doubt mine was caused by the Stan's sealant, it was only on for 2 days before it bubbled.

It's a pity I broke my phone, otherwise I would upload the pics I took of it. The inside appeared torn along a join in the fabric, like it had ripped apart.

I have since used the Crossmark on the rear instead (5 months and lots of riding) and its been 100%, I have nothing against Maxxis, just think there is something dodgy about the Ikon.

Politely ask the shop/seller/Maxxis what the issue is and if there is any way they can remedy the unfortunate situation you find yourself in, often when you try that tactic you will be surprised to find them making the situation right.

I had a similar experience and the shop swopped the item no hassle 3 times, each time there was a fault/wrong specs etc, not the shops fault or mine but they graciously sorted me out in each instance and in the process they must have spent a small fortune on courier fees - sending and returning in all 7x express deliveries for one sale!

Thanks for the comments Guys. Lbs seems to think 2nd tire was sealed with Batseal... They will return the tires under warranty. Reckon I'll give the Ardent Race a bash....

Archived