Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Thanks for the advice and info. Appreciate that.

It's only me and my 7yr old son so will definitely check out the options carefully...

No problem. Just checked our usage now. We've used 250Gb from 1st - 12th and we were away for the long weekend.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So would a smart TV negate the need for an Android box or is there some use in having them working in conjunction?

Technically a smart TV should do just that, in practice they are mostly terrible.

I have never seen a smart TV that isnt slow and laggy as heck, I would 100% still use an external media player like the Ematic.

The most important thing is updates, make sure the device will be support for a while to come.

Ematic and Xioami are two good examples of very long term support and are in essence the exact same device.

Am surprised this Ematic box is only 8GB Flash, when most quad cores are 16GB these days??  Seems expensive.....

Its a very different experience with Android TV vs Android phone OS.

The TV boxes have 2GB of RAM and 8GB of flash which seems low but its perfect for the device type.

The storage size isnt an issue because the play store only has TV apps and not the normal phone version apps. Most of them have an SD card slot too if needed.

Thanks for the advice and info. Appreciate that.

It's only me and my 7yr old son so will definitely check out the options carefully...

Netflix and Youtube both will adjust quality to the speed of your connection.

1080P Netflix chews big chunks of data!

You can set the quality manually in both though and that saves a huge amount.

Soft cap is 500Gb, and we use about 400-450 per month.

Wife works from home - a graphic designer - so about 70-100Gb per month for work.

2 streaming devices for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, as well as 2 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 mobile phones and maybe 1 tablet. Not all at the same time though.

I usually stream at 720p on the Roku device and HD via laptop browser (for sports).

Soft cap is 500Gb, and we use about 400-450 per month.

Wife works from home - a graphic designer - so about 70-100Gb per month for work.

2 streaming devices for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, as well as 2 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 mobile phones and maybe 1 tablet. Not all at the same time though.

I usually stream at 720p on the Roku device and HD via laptop browser (for sports).

We use a local provider.. uncapped without a throttle policy works for us. I work from home and the kids stream a lot.

Super duper premium uncapped from Afrihost. 20/4

streaming, 2 x gaming screamagers wife works from home. Consumption = 640gigs, and it's the 16th.

Although the gaming is restricted to week-ends. But youtube, netflix etc gets revved to the red line. 

Super duper premium uncapped from Afrihost. 20/4

streaming, 2 x gaming screamagers wife works from home. Consumption = 640gigs, and it's the 16th.

Although the gaming is restricted to week-ends. But youtube, netflix etc gets revved to the red line. 

I just checked my package again. We were on a Premium Uncapped 10/5 @R867/month. I saw that Afrihost now have a Pure Fibre 40/20 @ R917/month.

Guess what I did.... :)

I just checked my package again. We were on a Premium Uncapped 10/5 @R867/month. I saw that Afrihost now have a Pure Fibre 40/20 @ R917/month.

You said: "R1.66 extra per day for 4x the speed is too rich for my blood" ;)

Cool ideas ftw Currently I'm on Uncapped,unshaped 10/5 fibre @ R499 pm

Its a very different experience with Android TV vs Android phone OS.

The TV boxes have 2GB of RAM and 8GB of flash which seems low but its perfect for the device type.

The storage size isnt an issue because the play store only has TV apps and not the normal phone version apps. Most of them have an SD card slot too if needed.

All my 3 boxes are 2GB and 16GB flash, 2 years ago you could get this as a spec.... so would expect to go upwards tech wise than backwards!!

Even my first box 4yrs ago in the early days of XBMC had 8GB flash, granted it was 1GB Ram, and functioned just as well on ADSL

My query was specific to the box and not to a comparison of a TV or a phone.  

I"m with Afrihost Home Fibre Uncapped. 50mbps. @R847/m  

Still waiting for Fibre so need to manage LTE data usage closely unfortunately, difficult with premium Netflix as some of the content is UHD and that's the default resolution, and don't even mention Apply TV 4k content [emoji85]. Use media box as an option though that uses less data through the APKs.

By the way is a TV licence not only required if you're using the broadcaster? Or is there no way around it?

By the way is a TV licence not only required if you're using the broadcaster? Or is there no way around it?

If your TV has the ability to tune onto the broadcast channels then you need a license unfortunately regardless of whether you watch the channels or not. One way around it is to but a large monitor with no receiver and connect a device to that. Good luck cancelling your TV license though if you already have one....

Still waiting for Fibre so need to manage LTE data usage closely unfortunately, difficult with premium Netflix as some of the content is UHD and that's the default resolution, and don't even mention Apply TV 4k content [emoji85]. Use media box as an option though that uses less data through the APKs.

Log onto your Netflix account and change the streaming settings. We set ours down to Standard and use about 1/3 of the data (700Mb per series episode vs 2Gb) and it looks fine.