loadshedding

Matchstix

Why is it that in every single news article about load shedding they have to tell us how many mw are shed in stage 1 and how many mw are shed in stage 2 and how many mw are shed in stage 3?

Surely everyone knows this already. It is probably the most regurgitated piece of useless information on the internet at the moment.,

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that in every single news article about load shedding they have to tell us how many mw are shed in stage 1 and how many mw are shed in stage 2 and how many mw are shed in stage 3?

Surely everyone knows this already. It is probably the most regurgitated piece of useless information on the internet at the moment.,

But wait until they sneak in a change to those numbers...especially the Stage 2 and 3 ones.

It is just one big mess (F_Up). The last few times we have been shed, power comes on post the shed for a few minutes and then goes off again as a result of some other technicality. The longest we have been off was almost 40 hours.

The grid was never designed for this load shedding bull**** and every time they flick the switch back on, every thing else takes strain such as transformers,cables etc.

expecting lots of loadshedding babies in sep-nov this year

You are?

Just how many "Lady Friends" do you have Shebeen?  :eek:

It used to be like that every time the petrol fuel price went up.

"Close your windows (when driving), switch off the aircon, make sure your car is serviced, tyres balanced, drive under the speed limit, etc., etc., etc."

I invested dropped some cash I dont have on an Eskom Winter Survival kit.

Gas bottle, sigle plate gas cooker

Gas heater.

It's not even cold yet, and Eskom is blowing it's load all over the place, can you imagine when he temps hit close to zero in Gauteng and other regions?

Working on LED with battery solution as "emergency lights"

You are?

Just how many "Lady Friends" do you have Shebeen?  :eek:

loads...but they all too cosy with my wife (who has declared our kid factory closed).

but seriously, quite a few of our contemporaries are expecting...the stats analyst in me would like to see the birth rates at private hospitals in the 2nd half of the year

It is just one big mess (F_Up). The last few times we have been shed, power comes on post the shed for a few minutes and then goes off again as a result of some other technicality. The longest we have been off was almost 40 hours.

The grid was never designed for this load shedding bull**** and every time they flick the switch back on, every thing else takes strain such as transformers,cables etc.

This happens everytime in Boskruin. Apparently power just event off again.

I noticed the other eve during load shedding that the trains are still operational. By what means is this possible? as the generators needed to power the train lines would have to be huge and alot will be needed.

I noticed the other eve during load shedding that the trains are still operational. By what means is this possible? as the generators needed to power the train lines would have to be huge and alot will be needed.

IIRC trains are diesel electric so can produce their own power on board as well

Nice to hear of the judicial inquiry, but please go for the government and not the Eskom engineers.

Eskom (when it was the Electricity Supply Commission) was one of the best companies in the world. It was owned by all South Africans, and was a non-profit making organization. Money was always set aside, by selling electricity for more than it cost to produce, for replacement and expansion.
THEN (1) it was turned into a business with the government as sole shareholder.. This was done to collect further tax from those who actually pay for electricity, and to provide a vehicle for the implementation of government policies. Profits, and the money set aside for replacement and expansion was paid to the government as dividends.

Then (2) the sole 'shareholder' directly appointed most of the executive, and non-executive directors - called appointments !!!!

Then (3), people started getting appointed & promoted based on potential. They couldn't actually perform the work, so the people who could, stayed around as contractors. Although no additional work was getting done, the workforce increased by 23%, but this was also fine because the government wanted to reduce unemployment.

Then (4), in an attempt to reduce unemployment, by boosting exports (by making them cheaper) Eskom was instructed to produce the cheapest electricity in the world. This didn't work - instead of expanding and creating jobs, business just made bigger profits. All investment was stopped due to this.
Then (5) the sole shareholder in the Mbeki era, wouldn't allow Eskom to build any further power stations, saying that this would be done by private investors. The private investors didn't come to the party because electricity was too cheap to provide adequate return on investment.
5 years too late Eskom was allowed to expand and build 2 huge, new power stations, but it didn't have any money - this had to be borrowed.
Then (6) the ANC (in control of the sole shareholder) wanted a piece of the cake and 'got' a big piece of Hitachi - the company who 'won' the contract to supply the boilers for these power stations. Because of this Eskom wasn't allowed to take Hitachi to court when $h
..t was supplied. Then Eskom, with its reduced standards, attempted to project manage the construction of these new power stations by itself.

What a calamity !!!!!
The money was borrowed from the world bank, however because they are coal stations a requirement was the installation of flue gas desulphurisation. This hasn't happened (yet) because of insufficient water. So Eskom is in the $h
...t with the world bank.

So, because of taxation, affirmative action, transformation, employment equity, BBBEE, lots and lots of corruption, a bloated and bureaucratic workforce etc. Eskom has run out of money and generation capacity, standards have dropped dramatically, corporate memory is being lost at an alarming rate ...............................
Today Eskom is attempting to borrow the money for the steam generator replacement at Koeberg from a French bank.

One of the questions that this bank is asking is about post Fukushima safety improvement progress. Guess what !!!!! Because there is no money ...........
As is always the case, SOMEONE must pay. So Eskom wanted to dramatically increase its price. The government (who is also the sole shareholder) wouldn't allow an increase large enough to cover the cost of its mismanagement. So Eskom is bankrupt, and its shares and bonds have been becoming "junk status".

The 'old' engineers are still doing their best.

IIRC trains are diesel electric so can produce their own power on board as well

really even all these metro rail trains with the electric thing at the top that connects to the wires

really even all these metro rail trains with the electric thing at the top that connects to the wires

separate system

separate system

now thats what I was thinking. How is it possible that trains and traffic lights operate and yet households and businesses cannot? and if so then why load shed? I always plenty of street lights in various areas on during the day. 

Well its somthing I suppose I wont understand in the inner workings of