Rave: Thule roof rack crash

Andrew_Russell

Rave about an (almost) tragic accident:

For real technical expertise, Dr George (PhD) is the only place to go.

Everyone had warned me about getting a roof rack for my car.  Needless to say, after one month of bike transport bliss, I slammed my gold vintage Falcon (hand made in Britain) into the carport.

The bike was mangled - frame bent, handle bars bent, both wheels locked and warped.  A total write-off.  That is, until Dr George (he has a PhD from a Canadian University) at Mean Machines bikes got his hands on it.

Unlike other bike shops, Dr George has 35 years of experience and does all the work himself. My gold Falcon was returned to me after a week and I couldn't be happier

The before and after pics show just how good the repair is.

Before

post-72008-0-61349300-1423816944_thumb.jpg

After (only a slight bend remaining after cold bending)

post-72008-0-26433300-1423816993_thumb.jpg

For real technical expertise, my vote goes to Dr George at Mean Machines in Germiston. As with all doctors, its best to make an appointment: 071 656 4207 or 071 6591097

*** Updated:  Close up picture of repaired bend  ***

post-72008-0-48730400-1425373370_thumb.jpg

-Andrew 

Edited by Andrew_Russell

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rave about an (almost) tragic accident:

For real technical expertise, Dr George (PhD) is the only place to go.

Everyone had warned me about getting a roof rack for my car.  Needless to say, after one month of bike transport bliss, I slammed my gold vintage Falcon (hand made in Britain) into the carport.

The bike was mangled - frame bent, handle bars bent, both wheels locked and warped.  A total write-off.  That is, until Dr George (he has a PhD from a Canadian University) at Mean Machines bikes got his hands on it.

Unlike other bike shops, Dr George has 35 years of experience and does all the work himself. My gold Falcon was returned to me after a week and I couldn't be happier

The before and after pics show just how good the repair is.

Before

attachicon.gifIMG_5201.JPG

After (only a slight bend remaining after cold bending)

attachicon.gifIMG_5389.JPG

For real technical expertise, my vote goes to Dr George at Mean Machines in Germiston. As with all doctors, its best to make an appointment: 071 656 4207 or 071 6591097

-Andrew 

Sorry Andew, i can't see much difference? Is the 1st pick what it look liked originally or after the smash? Nice bike!

Some 'during' pictures would make this thread a LOT more credible.

More credible than it currently is - on a Friday??  Unlikely...

I see the main difference as the cables running over the bars vs under the bars.

The lock and lights have disappeared.

Your cranks aren't in the same position, indicating that you took these at different time (12 o'clock and 3 o'clock).

Well, Watson, that's all I can see...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

post-1372-0-92569300-1423825674_thumb.png

BTW, where are the bottle cages?