Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bike wash is a lot more intricate than a car wash seeing that you can't just soap up and blast a bike, so the comparison is terrible.

But yes, bike washes are pricey. Especially when they do a bad job of it.

Lesson: Buy a hosepipe and a bucket and learn to take care of your own bike wash.

The comparisons are endless. Some good, some bad. 

At the end of the day, I suppose someone has to put food on the table. As mentioned, I wouldn't was your bike for R40. I wouldn't wash your car for R40!!

It's all about what YOUR time is worth and whether or not you have the "expertise" to do it yourself.

I think that the main issue is being charge for something that you didn't ask for nor give permission for.

And you can buy a small car for the same price as some bikes

Well exactly.

I wouldnt let a backyard mechanic near my C60 or Super Record parts with his greasy shifting spanner!

I also don't feel like washing my bikes some days and my wife also sometimes does not want to do it . Then I got to decide , am I gonna pay R120 to have my bike washed and then spend the after noon at the pub or wash the bike . Economies of scale does not really matter to me at this point and I would gladly pay the R120 . So there are many ,many things that can make you throw that kind of money at a bike wash , but to have your bike washed and then complain when you gotta pay !!  :eek:

I've started outsourcing my bike washes...

attachicon.gifbikewash2.jpg

So my bike wash isn't as awesome as this....but...

I bought myself a Dirt Nurse cleaning kit from the LBS. The cleaning kit was a bit pricey but well worth it!

Has a heavy duty de-greaser, 2 different shampoos, polish, sponge and microfibre clothes all nicely packed into the bucket. The big bottle of polish I bought a while back and works like a dream, that why I went for the full kit. Tested yesterday and and it works like a dream! even gets the horrible sealant off the frame!!!!

Now, I know what you guys are thinking, "he bought it coz of the sexy pin up girls on the bottle"...but you are wrong... I bought it for the final component of the kit... Bubble bath for the rider! Has an even sexier pin up girl on with only bubbles... WIN!!!  :ph34r:

But on a serious note, the kit with a hosepipe kit from checkers cost me a total of R380.00 (bought a cheapy hosepipe kit)...that is 3 and a bit, maybe 4 bike shop washes. This will give me over a years worth of washes, if not more. I personally spend 2 hours, every Sunday, washing and polishing the bike. Yes there is almost always a braai going at the same time. It's my weekly ritual and way of thanking my bike. Also, I pick up on issues your general bike washer wont which saves me thousands in the long run...adjustment is cheaper than replacement!

post-69190-0-78844200-1455533377_thumb.png

Here is a simply test.

How much would YOU charge to wash my bike?

Take your hourly work rate, divide it into minutes, take the value of a bout 30 seconds.... That's how much it will cost to get me to tell you that if you can ride it, you can wash it too! Get off your @ss and show your bike some well deserved love! 

:ph34r:

Edited by WarriorMTB

Take your hourly work rate, divide it into minutes, take the value of a bout 30 seconds.... That's how much it will cost to get me to tell you that if you can ride it, you can wash it too! Get off your @ss and show your bike some well deserved love! 

:ph34r:

If I have a spare hour on a weekend, I am on my bike riding it, not washing it :P

Edited by Patchelicious