Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of those riding this weekend I sincerely hope the wind doesn't blow. That would make it very unpleasant. I'm holding thumbs for everyone.

Awful that this happens at any time but I really feel for the people that have prepared and planned and are all excited for the weekend. The CTCT is organized by top people and if anyone can pull a success out of a potential disaster it is them. Last Argus I did was that very very windy one and that was well handled.

Best wishes to all involved.

I'll put up a weather forecast closer to the weekend, however it seems that the weather is looking favorable for sunday.

Would love to know what the alternate route is, however I hope that we can still do Chappies (original route). 

Let's continue to support @CityofCT #CapeTownFire #CapeFire #CycleTour2015

Can anybody tell me what is the Total ascent of climbing on the Chappies Route ?

I have it as 1115m from last years route

What is the latest news on the Fire? Is it under control yet? Is the wind more fire friendly today?

What is the latest news on the Fire? Is it under control yet? NOPE

Is the wind more fire friendly today?NOPE.

Burning all over now.

at this point in time that concern is not that section of Chapmans Peak as the fire is not burning where the catch fencing is. IF they can get the Noordhaven fire under control then the south slope of Chappies is safe.

The big concerns is the clean up operations and has the tarmac been damaged as these are harder to repair in a few days.

At this stage I fee there is a good chance we will ride on the original planned route

Lefty what is your feeling today - outlook seems pretty bleak?

There were quite a lot of road and civil works that needed to be cleaned up this week along the route. I'm referring to Kalk Bay, Chappies and Suikerbossie. Even if the fires abate, and the route is declared safe, I wonder if the engineering teams will have enough time to get in and finish what was likely a crunch week for them? Especially with all the road closures and emergency vehicles around.   

Fire outlook better today. Wind dropped to almost zero during the night but temperature extremely high today. It is still burning on a wide front but with little wind, it is MUCH easier to control. Control to reduce damage to property is all that can be done. The scale is such that it cannot just be put out. It will just burn up the fuel and stop. This should happen before the week end. 

As far as the Argus is concerned: The outlook is much more positive compared to Monday. Final decision to be marde tomorrow. I think/hope it will run along the normal route.

Biggest issue is going to be how to allow emergency vehicles access to Chappies if needed. So, if Chappies is safe, all should be well.

(My 2c worth of guesswork.)

There were quite a lot of road and civil works that needed to be cleaned up this week along the route. I'm referring to Kalk Bay, Chappies and Suikerbossie. Even if the fires abate, and the route is declared safe, I wonder if the engineering teams will have enough time to get in and finish what was likely a crunch week for them? Especially with all the road closures and emergency vehicles around.   

Muizenberg is a stuff up. Its far too dangerous to send huge groups at high speed through the narrow bits that zip left and right.

Chappies will be fine. They will just move the barriers back like last year.

Suikerbossie is almost complete. They are sweeping and painting lines etc.

going to be hard to make a final decision tomorrow.

must put REAL pressure on the team, hopefully they can still get everything sorted as it's already a busy week.