Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Im sad but understand, but i think CTCT should take half the entry fee and donate it to agriculture & environment department, but most of all to those who have nothing. Use the money for the greater good CT.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about lack of compassion. It costs a pretty penny to get to cape town, it seems not much thought went in to the route. There's no rule that says the race has to stay in town. 55km inland and back. Sadly it's too close to the date for refunds on hotel and flights.

Can the locals suggest a route to head out on after the ride to make the day worthwhile?

Clarens Drive from Gordons Bay to Rooi Els and back, taking the climb to the Pump Station when coming back.

Hijack on

I saw that too 'Dale. Probably the picture that most aptly sums up the situation. So, so, sad.

Hijack off

if you google that image you will find out that it is from America not from Cape Town. I didnt pay R1 000 to get my bike to Cape Town plus airfares to ride 47km so I will probably still choose to get a group together and go ride out in the winelands. While some people can do a 47km ride, others of us use our weekends for training. I salute the cause and if I lived in Cape Town still I would line up with glee, but after the effort and organising of getting there from JHB I would prefer to take advantage of some scenery and a proper cycle. I do 47km before work in the week. 

I have to agree this is a bit of a cop out I completely understand the need to change the route cause of the fire thats understandable but reducing the route to 47 Km that is not what people signed up for at all. I can personally think of several different routes that could be amazing. What about going out as it is on M3 then back via M5 and all the way out to bloubergstrand (beautiful views of table mountain and beaches) then past kouberg then back along a different road and into town on the N1. oh well I hope they let me do it twice at least.

it would be better to cancel the race and save all the expenses that run into millions for traffic officers , venues etc...

Sponsors would keep all their goods for next year's race.

Participants will get a free entry in next year's race.

Lots of people from out of CT will still have time to cancel ( loosing some money ) taking extra pressure off CT.

And Rotary, CTCTT and a host of other charities will have 12 months to get the R 14 Bar they would rely on for 2016 entry fees, and the cost of road closures around the start and finish and shortened route would be abortive, the TV rights would be lost for 2015, people's travel and accommodation costs would be lost, and we would all lose a golden opportunity to ride for something that matters. Edited by GLuvsMtb

Im sad but understand, but i think CTCT should take half the entry fee and donate it to agriculture & environment department, but most of all to those who have nothing. Use the money for the greater good CT.

That is exactly where the bulk of the money go - to charities run by the Rotary - if you are interested, go check on their website exactly what they do. Indeed for the greater good!

it would  be better to cancel the race and save all the expenses that run into millions for traffic officers , venues etc...

Sponsors would keep all their goods for next year's race.

Participants will get a free entry in next year's race.

Lots of people from out of CT will still have time to cancel ( loosing some money ) taking extra pressure off CT.

Why cancel if there's already so much sunk cost to the event and many people are already in Cape Town? What do you think 30 000+ people trying to find a ride of their own on a Sunday in Cape Town will look like????

Kudos to the Organisers for managing to get the City's approvals given the circumstances! Looking forward to riding with people who remember the simple joy of why we started riding a bike in the first place! HHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPLLLAAAAAA!

Clarens Drive from Gordons Bay to Rooi Els and back, taking the climb to the Pump Station when coming back.

Where's the start and finish venue that can host 35000 riders plus their families and supporters? Hands up ANY Events Company who would take this on and have it ready for 3 days time...

Well, now Im not gonna go to bed early. I will be having a few more bottles of wine and then a few more bottles in the hotel. Then I wil wake up with n moerse babbalas. Do the 47km in n swirwing way to make op for the other 62k's. Stop for breakfast at the turning point and hope the wind pumps on my way back to make me struggle even more.

So yes, its sad, but cycle I will cycle!

Jip. I will also be hoping for a PROPER wind. Not that breeze they normally have at this race. I am having my first big glass of red now.

Wil it still be a timed race ? Do we start in our seeded groups like normal ? Can we go around twice ? 

I don't see any reason why people are complaining about this, we should be fortunate. 

if you google that image you will find out that it is from America not from Cape Town. I didnt pay R1 000 to get my bike to Cape Town plus airfares to ride 47km so I will probably still choose to get a group together and go ride out in the winelands. While some people can do a 47km ride, others of us use our weekends for training. I salute the cause and if I lived in Cape Town still I would line up with glee, but after the effort and organising of getting there from JHB I would prefer to take advantage of some scenery and a proper cycle. I do 47km before work in the week. 

Ride through the finish area on to Hout Bay and back. Add the Glen and Signal Hill if the legs are looking for more climbing miles!

Heard ballhairs on the radio, to be honest ask the other options really did have too many ifs and buts. They had to make decisions today and fire is not even out.

Is actually a credit to the organisers and their professional approach that all the moaners assume you can just pull a 100km route for 30 000 people out your ring. This is the largest cycle race in the world.

My memory of the detours was very quiet for the return leg on m3.methinks there will be bigger party vibes round Newlands on this route

To the bottom of Suikerbossie and back. And all buy the PPA tops at registration. So we won't have a road closure but a few thousand doing last Saturday's ride again.

Hi What time do you suggest?

Are we not riding for charity first and foremost? If you want your money back I say these guys should be refunded but don't come back next year. You won't be missed. Thousands of people who can't get entries each year will gladly take your place.

Guys, some percpective here, don't grumble about a race....yes you have trained and geared yourself up for this (financially and otherwise), but look around your home, losing that is of far greater consequence. Some perspective is warranted. Planning can't take in to consideration "acts of God or Smokers" we'd never get anything done.

This is bigger than the cycling community, read about the generosity towards a guy called Scott in 2013 by this community....was expecting more rallying around the local community by the race supporters?!

I have a post up at PPA Facebook page. Will Give them a call tomorrow and found out what they think about this plan :

Hey PPA.

I have something in mind that all the cycles can do. I rather post it up here because i think Cape Town cycle tour have there hands full with people that want answers, and you have the skill and right people to take this msg over to them.

To show our respect as cycles to the unbelievable work that City Of Cape Town Fire Fighters , Volunteer Wildfire Services, Working on fire and all the people that help fighting the fire on the mountain this few days, that every cycles must wear a yellow band around the arm or on there bike.

I think this will really mean something to them and to show something that as cycles we respect the work they doing.

Thanks!!

Kind Regards Gerlach

Edited by Gerlach