2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

VB's had a bit of a crazy race last year.

No real cat and mouse tactics.  Just burn from the gun to catch VB.  No game plan from there. 

:thumbup:  :stupid:  ;)

Finished 2:27

Weight 78kg

Avg W:  284 (3.6)

NP:  336 (4.3)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say 3.5W/Kg you mean up the hills or for the whole race? Up the hills not a issue, keeping that up in the middle of the group on the flats for the whole race ,not so sure.

The 3.5W/kg that I mentioned was for Pooks hill at the start.

I did a 2:52, from AL with an normalized power to weight of about 2.9 W/kg.

I basically rode with whoever was around when I got dropped by AL, until I tagged onto BL and later onto CL.

Hopefully I will be further along when BL catches me, and hope to come in around 2:45.

D bunch (06:41) for me this year. My training partner is in this bunch too, so the race is on :lol: ! His strength lies on the hills, am very excited to be racing my pal. Look out for the black/yellow jersey chaps. 

EE bunch in 2013 (1st year, MTB), Q bunch in 2014. Aiming for 2:50 this year. Final race prep is Shova and Midvaal 100. 

Warming up adequately for the start up Pooks, from my memory would seem to be quite important. Unless there's lots more tarmac to warm-up on within Riversands this year, and assuming you didn't ride into Riversands, what are people's strategies for warm-up? Take a trainer and warm-up in the car-park/field? Use Pooks as a warm-up and catch the next group? Rule #5? A.n.other?

That little stretch down to the starting blocks is perfect. I did it last time (almost chundered :oops: ). Up and down pseudo-sprints is perfect. But then you shouldn't miss getting into the blocks first, so it's a gamble. 

Happened to me as well, no racing license but seeded in VB... what now?

Has anyone got more info on this? I have also been seeded VB with no licence but entered open seeded. I won't even be 35 on race day.

Has anyone got more info on this? I have also been seeded VB with no licence but entered open seeded. I won't even be 35 on race day.

Purely speculation, but I think at some point they fill up the V batches with strong A batch candidates to try and keep the route clearer early on. Not to chuck mud, but there are some licensed Vets that fall off the pace early and become rolling obstacles when faster batched come blasting past them later on the route.

This way they get more cyclists through the route quicker.

This is the 3rd year I've been seeded with the Vets without having a racing licence. First year there was a slight pause before getting my goody bag at registration. Second year nobody batted an eye.

Purely speculation, but I think at some point they fill up the V batches with strong A batch candidates to try and keep the route clearer early on. Not to chuck mud, but there are some licensed Vets that fall off the pace early and become rolling obstacles when faster batched come blasting past them later on the route.

This way they get more cyclists through the route quicker.

This is the 3rd year I've been seeded with the Vets without having a racing licence. First year there was a slight pause before getting my goody bag at registration. Second year nobody batted an eye.

You don't need a license to race vets at the 947. They select the top seeded riders per age group with the overflow going into "open seeded".

I rode up to Steyn City yesterday from the Midrand side to check out what the race would be like there. "Not so fast" says the security guard. No entrance through to Cedar road. :thumbdown:

I rode up to Steyn City yesterday from the Midrand side to check out what the race would be like there. "Not so fast" says the security guard. No entrance through to Cedar road. :thumbdown:

Lol, sorry, could have told you. Unless you live there, or know someone who does, the only time you will get to ride that road is in the race.

You don't need a license to race vets at the 947. They select the top seeded riders per age group with the overflow going into "open seeded".

This is what's happened to me - I've been put into VC without entering vets or even wanting it (and have no racing license). Still deciding whether I actually want this or not. The only benefit to me is the very early start.

It's stressed me out to be honest. I'm now eating half the calories I used to, training manically and waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it. I really didn't need this kind of stress. I might just join the all Hubbers in the fun bunch in 'I' and just enjoy the day with them  :thumbup: .

This is what's happened to me - I've been put into VC without entering vets or even wanting it (and have no racing license). Still deciding whether I actually want this or not. The only benefit to me is the very early start.

It's stressed me out to be honest. I'm now eating half the calories I used to, training manically and waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it. I really didn't need this kind of stress. I might just join the all Hubbers in the fun bunch in 'I' and just enjoy the day with them  :thumbup: .

Hey Hey now you talking , if you throw a tow rope or two you will get a lot of hubbers their 1st Sub 3 (Hint Hint  :whistling: )

I see our "I" batch is already up to 12 riders, making it tie with "A" as the most popular batch for the BikeHub.

There was no option to enter in the licensed groups this year. In the past you had to select licensed, open, hand cycles, etc.

I'm entered in the charity group (09:07), but given my licence and seeding in VC, I'm making use of the opportunity to start early and get a quick lap in before the charity group start. No pressure to finish with the VC bunch, and no pressure to get a good time - just finish upright, with no mechanicals and less than 3 hours (allowing 19 minutes to refuel and get to Mnandi Drive to join in from the side). I'll probably enjoy lap 1 more, knowing I'll be a #wheelsucker  :ph34r:  :whistling:

Archived