XT vs. SLX: Better or just more expensive?

worriesnot

XT shifters are way better than SLX shifters. As for the rest, not that much difference in performance. More marginal gains on weight. Price tag on XTR just doesn't make it practical for the average person (like myself) to even look at it.

Xtr is very much a different product. It's got its own dies and is largely hand assemble. The parts like the crank are also herf forged and not drop forged like the rest.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get a bike with full XT, buy a bike with full XT, if not don't upgrade. Rather go 1x10 with a 34 on the front and a 11-36 at the back, I'll promise you , you won't regret it. Only after you have done a 1x10 conversion you will realise that you never needed such a moerse granny. make sure you get an XT chain because it doesn't rust and the rest, well leave it like it is.

I have the 2014 full xt on my full sus and my argus bike was a 29er hartail with a complete shimano alivio groupset except for the rear derailer which was deore. I was impressed by the alivio. Not as quick or crisp as xt but never missed a shift , shifting was precise. I am even considering keeping the alivio for my hardtail!!!

Let those that can't afford it tell you wot they like

there's a significant improvement from slx to xt and an even bigger improvement moving to xtr..slx rear der wheels turn on bushes, xtr on bearings,

go click the slx shifter, then the xt one, then notice how little free play and precise the xtr one is..

I too asked the same questionn many times now both my mtb are xtr kitted, including the chain.

and once again the cheapskates will tell you to use a six chain on your xtr drive train. Because they are cheapskates.

go ask an elite to put six ot xt on his Bike!

He will show you the stink finger.

If you cannot afford the sport don't try to convince others they don't need the good stuff.

I have the 2014 full xt on my full sus and my argus bike was a 29er hartail with a complete shimano alivio groupset except for the rear derailer which was deore. I was impressed by the alivio. Not as quick or crisp as xt but never missed a shift , shifting was precise. I am even considering keeping the alivio for my hardtail!!!

you keep telling yourself that

you keep telling yourself that

Such an insightful and meaningful contribution to this thread. Thank you.

I've got Alivio shifters and crank on my bike and the performance is bang on the money. 

I recently had to buy new brakes.

I was torn between the XT and SLX brakeset, both were on sale at CWC.

I read up and did research and found that the only difference was the XT has bite point adjustment and the pads are held in with a screw as oppsed to a split pin on the SLX.

Funnily enought the threads are there for a bolt on the SLX leading me to believe that the cliper itself is in fact the same as the XT.

Can't comment on the performance but the SLX is great, can't see the XT being so much better as to warrant the R1000 price increase.

I recently had to buy new brakes.

I was torn between the XT and SLX brakeset, both were on sale at CWC.

I read up and did research and found that the only difference was the XT has bite point adjustment and the pads are held in with a screw as oppsed to a split pin on the SLX.

Funnily enought the threads are there for a bolt on the SLX leading me to believe that the cliper itself is in fact the same as the XT.

Can't comment on the performance but the SLX is great, can't see the XT being so much better as to warrant the R1000 price increase.

100% with you - SLX brakes are great... but there are added features on the XT over SLX; not necessarily benefits, well not for the average rider at least, but definitely more features. 

I started the thread looking at the XT vs. SLX front derailleur and definitely could not see any benefits / features that makes the XT better, up until the point where GoLefty pointed it out. Not an obvious difference but a difference none the less. At least now I know I did not pay more for the same derailleur with just a different sticker on it and that there is something that makes it a little better and justifies the additional cost, albeit ever so slight. 

there's a significant improvement from slx to xt and an even bigger improvement moving to xtr..slx rear der wheels turn on bushes, xtr on bearings,

go click the slx shifter, then the xt one, then notice how little free play and precise the xtr one is..

I too asked the same questionn many times now both my mtb are xtr kitted, including the chain.

and once again the cheapskates will tell you to use a six chain on your xtr drive train. Because they are cheapskates.

If you cannot afford the sport don't try to convince others they don't need the good stuff.

Welcome Rockerfeller. How's the Veyrons consumption? It is Friday after all...

You are so helpful. So what you are saying is that if you cannot afford a XTR kitted top end bike you should not cycle??? The fact is that every tier in the product line-up is an improvement on the lower tier and you should buy what you can afford.

I am sorry to say but you will probably find that most people cycle with SLX level groupsets and components and there is NOTHING wrong with SLX - it is fantastic products and probably more than capable to work sufficiently for 80% of the guys out there. The SLX level products also has a reputation for being quite robust which some will prefer over a 10g weight saving of an XTR front derailleur typically.

However I have a distinct OCD problem and have changed everything on my bike to XTR piece by piece. I know it is no better for my purpose but I like it and I like having everything the same.

SO keep your judgements as to the cheapskates to yourself. If the OP was asking if he can fit an SLX chain on his XTR kitted bike because he needs a new chain to ride and an XTR is just too expensive for him right now - then he should get the SLX. Simply because it will work and keep him riding. If however he is asking what the best chain to fit is that's another story.

Buy what you can afford and what YOU are happy with or what makes you happy. Don't listen to mr moneybags that tell you everything except XTR is crap and also don't listen to your jealous buddies when they tell you not to buy the XT derailleur that will sooth your OCD.

:thumbup:

I used to have a Deore RD on my bike and switched it to an XTR (older spec admittedly), and anyone who says that there's not much of a difference can kiss my ass.  Shifting is so much more crisp and precise - and that's on the same chain and cassette and shifters.

But if I was getting new stuff now, I'd get SLX.  The new SLX is top class and doesn't break the bank.

I used to have a Deore RD on my bike and switched it to an XTR (older spec admittedly), and anyone who says that there's not much of a difference can kiss my ass.  Shifting is so much more crisp and precise - and that's on the same chain and cassette and shifters.

But if I was getting new stuff now, I'd get SLX.  The new SLX is top class and doesn't break the bank.

But according to Redlight that means you would be a poor person and shouldn't be in the sport.

I mean really, these poor sods are getting everywhere these days and we don't like having to be near them with their inferior kit. And I believe they smell. Or something.

But according to Redlight that means you would be a poor person and shouldn't be in the sport.

I mean really, these poor sods are getting everywhere these days and we don't like having to be near them with their inferior kit. And I believe they smell. Or something.

But I am a poor person, who's trying to fit into an elitist sport whilst simultaneously trying to mask my poor mans odour...  :whistling:

But I am a poor person, who's trying to fit into an elitist sport whilst simultaneously trying to mask my poor mans odour...  :whistling:

So am I but don't tell anybody...

what a champion and rich to boot. I can only dream....