Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. I'll definitely pass on the gratitude. Just enough time to also mention here that without your support and without Amarider this would all not have been possible... 

..to date!

Edited by (Deon)

Thanks all. I'll definitely pass on the gratitude. Just enough time to also mention here that without your support and without Amarider this would all not have been possible. 

Hey hey hey!!  No acceptance speech until we see open trails!  :ph34r:

Nope. Small issue of mountain bikers having a stigma of.. well, just look above.

Funny how farms in the North seem to love MTB despite the terrible stench attached to us bikers.

I also have my doubts the owners of Constantia Uitsig see MTB in this light, at a guess. 

Maybe its actually more to do with not wanting anyone on their property - on foot or otherwise. 

Has an approach actually been made to any farm owners?

Funny how farms in the North seem to love MTB despite the terrible stench attached to us bikers.

I also have my doubts the owners of Constantia Uitsig see MTB in this light, at a guess. 

Maybe its actually more to do with not wanting anyone on their property - on foot or otherwise. 

Has an approach actually been made to any farm owners?

Yes. Chris Nixon is probably the best person to give you the blow-by-blow account of the meetings. As a result his XC track is planned at about 1.5km's only, not the originally envisioned trail that stretches across several farms.  

Ah well. I saw that as more factual considering I did not see him at any of the builds, certainly in 2014. Besides, we pulled aliens on every build but then you wouldn't know this either.

Here's two tweets calling for help. Total (mountain biker) turnout - or should I not state the obvious?

https://twitter.com/AMA_TokaiMTB/status/690898703406764032 

doesn't look like much alien pulling took place unless Thor was in there somewhere signing autographs

doesn't look like much alien pulling took place unless Thor was in there somewhere signing autographs

They saw us coming. See Tony in the middle pointing to the warp signature..

As far as access to the farms in the constantia valley, the two main problems were people possibly riding where they were not supposed to, and the farmers wives not so keen on the idea. This is just something I heard offhand , dont know all the ins and outs. But would you really want a bunch of smelly mtbers on your back garden? Or would your wife....

As far as access to the farms in the constantia valley, the two main problems were people possibly riding where they were not supposed to, and the farmers wives not so keen on the idea. This is just something I heard offhand , dont know all the ins and outs. But would you really want a bunch of smelly mtbers on your back garden? Or would your wife....

speak under correction, but the BikePlus constantia valley series was looking at opening the area up as a bit of a test event. 

amongst other things some chops went and then trespassed on the route so that ended pretty quickly.

speak under correction, but the BikePlus constantia valley series was looking at opening the area up as a bit of a test event.

amongst other things some chops went and then trespassed on the route so that ended pretty quickly.

Drives me mad. And then it's just expected that some poor sod will be sent cap in hand to beg forgiveness.

Drives me mad. And then it's just expected that some poor sod will be sent cap in hand to beg forgiveness.

Because it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Problem is those sods who adopt this attitude don't know how much work went into the permission

Because it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Problem is those sods who adopt this attitude don't know how much work went into the permission

Just hang around the Constantia Shopping Centre parking lot for a bit and you will see how much entitlement mentality there is in that area - frightening.

Deon, I was wondering and maybe its something you have covered already, but has the Apostle Battery site ever been considered/ approached for mtb, I know its current use is quite specific and I think the biggest issue would be parking/ access.( Maybe there is a way around that.)

The site is covered in bluegums and is in my opinion ideal for some sort of XC track from a terrain and environmental point of view.

I​t could be a major money spinner and that could be ploughed back into the facilities and the kids who mostly use the current camp are always in need of sponsorship.

Its got quite similar features to Chrysalis.

Just a thought?

Just hang around the Constantia Shopping Centre parking lot for a bit and you will see how much entitlement mentality there is in that area - frightening.

last weekend I was at CV for a coffee at vida with a pal who was in town.

After coffee I walked over my car and spotted the reverse lights of the RR parked next to me had been on for a while. I wondered what was going and noticed the driver seemed confused so I stood behind the car and did my "Kom Planes" Batman carguard routine.

Oh she was so grateful she slipped a R50 and told me to keep the change. I thanked her and hopped into my 2015 Golf.

Such a kind lady, paid for my coffee :rolleyes:

I slipped the R50 into the hands of the car guard who had been trying to get her attention while she struggled to vacate the two bays she was occupying...

Felt right chuffed being such a good samaritan :wub: