Some okes really don't want to do the Epic

Pure Savage

Is there not a stage after the Prologue? - I then assumed once they finished at UCT they would just cycle off down the N2 to the next stage/hotel for the night.

Is the prologue today or Sunday ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for the other 364 days of the year where along that road are bicycles allowed to start riding? I obviously only ride in that lekker city once a year.

in short - nowhere. M3 is a no cycle zone

The stage after the prologue is stage 1... Damn roadies...

At least us roadies know which roads we should be riding on unlike these crazy MTB folk :P :D

So there we have photographic evidence that it (CT) deserves the name Slaapstad

Just about zort cars on the road on a Friday...where is everyone?

in short - nowhere. M3 is a no cycle zone

Does edingburgh drive fall into that? I can understand the part from town to the varsity and then "the blue route" but the part in the middle before paradise motors and up what I saw on Sunday is now called momentum hill.

Does edingburgh drive fall into that? I can understand the part from town to the varsity and then "the blue route" but the part in the middle before paradise motors and up what I saw on Sunday is now called momentum hill.

If the road sign is green, its not a freeway and cycling is allowed if it is blue, it is a freeway and no cycling allowed. It was weird for me in 2013 when I was in Vancouver to see cyclists on the highway from Vancouver to Squamish / Whistler. Aparently they just hop on their bikes after work on a Friday and cycle through, meet up with family / friends and then cycle back on the Sunday. Imagine having something similar to the sea-to-sky highway here... 

http://www.whistler.com/pdf/brochures/sea-to-sky-highway-road-cycling-safety.pdf

You are legally allowed there, since it's not a freeway.  But it's still dodgy.

And we campaign for Bicycle Safety.

Then we do this!

How can you fight a war if you don't keep to the rules yourself?

That is not just a few cyclists to the general public, the public see that as ALL mountain bikers.

Just not on

If the road sign is green, its not a freeway and cycling is allowed if it is blue, it is a freeway and no cycling allowed. It was weird for me in 2013 when I was in Vancouver to see cyclists on the highway from Vancouver to Squamish / Whistler. Aparently they just hop on their bikes after work on a Friday and cycle through, meet up with family / friends and then cycle back on the Sunday. Imagine having something similar to the sea-to-sky highway here... 

http://www.whistler.com/pdf/brochures/sea-to-sky-highway-road-cycling-safety.pdf

Ya, but everybody drives so slowly down that road...  It's not the same here.

That is a beautiful road though, but right from Vancouver next to the water.

No, not technically as that becomes a suburban area, but for the sake of self preservation, I wouldn't ride there - there are FAR nicer ways to get through that section without facing the chance of becoming a grille ornament. 

At least us roadies know which roads we should be riding on unlike these crazy MTB folk :P :D

There are lots of homeless MTB riders around at the moment. With the fires at Tokai and Jonkershoek they are riding around scared and afraid looking for sanctuary.

And we campaign for Bicycle Safety.

Then we do this!

How can you fight a war if you don't keep to the rules yourself?

That is not just a few cyclists to the general public, the public see that as ALL mountain bikers.

Just not on

If these guys are from Canada they are not even aware of breaking any rules. Perfectly legal there to cycle on the highway. 

If these guys are from Canada they are not even aware of breaking any rules. Perfectly legal there to cycle on the highway. 

Bull! When you visit a country, you make yourself aware of the rules. I don't get into my car in the USA and drive on the left hand side of the road, I ensure that I understand the rules. It is a visitors obligation to be aware of laws in a country

Archived