Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Regarding the PM thing: what is the purpose of saying in the comments "PM Sent" other than informing hubbers you have sent a pm as you interested?

Why not just send a PM?

if i see PM sent i often don't engage further, normally my comment will be, let me know if pm'er didn't take it

i assume this to be good ethics, the pm'er got to the ad before i did so not going to convince the seller with my more/less moola to sell to me

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once sold it is a good idea to put sold on the ad for a few days so that people that were interested can now have closure in their lives knowing it is sold before the ad gets deleted :)

Agree with AlanD but also it gives an indication of the current going rate of said item.

I see plenty of adds with pie in the sky pricing.  Knowing what an item sold for then allows you to adjust your pricing to suit.

It's all about supply and demand unfortunately, and then further linked to current trends too.

A spindly 140mm travel, 32mm stanchioned fork will never go for more than around R3-3.5K yet you see them for R5k at times. Thats just one example of many overpriced items advertised.

if i see PM sent i often don't engage further, normally my comment will be, let me know if pm'er didn't take it

i assume this to be good ethics, the pm'er got to the ad before i did so not going to convince the seller with my more/less moola to sell to me

I have often seen a comment on "PM sent", then one of "Still available?" then "yes" meaning the pm'er didnt take the item. If i see a pm and want the item i will still enquire and if i want to send a PM i send one without putting it in tje comments.

Guess its just preference..

Regarding the PM thing: what is the purpose of saying in the comments "PM Sent" other than informing hubbers you have sent a pm as you interested?

Why not just send a PM?

Compensating for those who disregard their PM notifications perhaps/or just don't know about the facility.?

Will chip in.. what get me is that you add a comment saying you will PM. You PM, so the seller will get notification both here and by email (as I buy and sell, I know you get an email as well).

You say you will take it at the price asked (am not even haggling) and you get no response... the ad is still up and you can see the seller has logged in a day or so after your PM.

Its not as if am a newbie and have a good rating... so the rational of advertising and then ignoring a potential sale baffles me !!

Whilst this is a recent matter... there is often a lack of communication .. even if is just to say it is sold.  I guess anonymous internet breeds it...

I can be a very spiteful person. If your going to ignore me, I am going to ask you again and again and again even after I have lost interest in the item. You will have 50 PM by the end of the day if I get the feeling your just ignoring me  :ph34r:

In the end they tend to reply sooner rather than later  :whistling:

Why not just send a PM?

I do both, so hopefully will get their attention as the seller gets a notification of a comment on their ad as well as an email that they have received a PM.

Yet in the scenario I mentioned both have been ignored... and I see the seller adding comments to wanted ads that he has such an item for sale.  He is trying to create a sale of his item this way yet ignoring a request to from a buyer to purchase it... each to their own I guess

^^^this

what must happen is that it must be mandatory to rate someone... it may not be the answer but it gives a pretty good indication of who's who...

even if its a simple rating system make up 4-5 standard questions, add stars to them, and a last section with a comment less than 200 words.

Transactions don't take place through the hub , so you can't make it mandatory to rate a seller . Else everyone would have to rate everyone for nothing

Stumbled upon this little gem of an exchange, things escalated fast:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/180974-sram-xg-1080-11t-36t-10spd-cassette/

Check the guys others ads, all the same, crazy prices and "used" just about the only description. He's posted strange ads before though, there was an ad he posted a while back, he got properly ripped but still doesn't seem to have got the message.

I have often seen a comment on "PM sent", then one of "Still available?" then "yes" meaning the pm'er didnt take the item. If i see a pm and want the item i will still enquire and if i want to send a PM i send one without putting it in tje comments.

Guess its just preference..

It's like calling dibs and with a public record of it.

It's a bit of a game though in the classifieds, everyone involved doing a bit of jockeying.

Edited by Skylark

I can be a very spiteful person. If your going to ignore me, I am going to ask you again and again and again even after I have lost interest in the item. You will have 50 PM by the end of the day if I get the feeling your just ignoring me  :ph34r:

In the end they tend to reply sooner rather than later  :whistling:

Have PM'd him again... maybe will do it for fun  :whistling:

Check the guys others ads, all the same, crazy prices and "used" just about the only description. He's posted strange ads before though, there was an ad he posted a while back, he got properly ripped but still doesn't seem to have got message.

It's like calling dibs with a public record thereof.

Ok so how does this so called "dibs" work: lets say i call it by saying pm sent, then only can pay for it at a later stagebut promise to pay but another buyer can pay cash now for the item, what does the buyer do ethically regrading this?

Is there an unwritten rule for time frame between calling dibs and making payment?

Ok so how does this so called "dibs" work: lets say i call it by saying pm sent, then only can pay for it at a later stagebut promise to pay but another buyer can pay cash now for the item, what does the buyer do ethically regrading this?

Is there an unwritten rule for time frame between calling dibs and making payment?

With the apps and technology avaliable today, the only really acceptable period I would wait is 30 min. Then it goes to someone willing to pay. When selling my CTCT entry at face value , I had a call and payment reflecting on my account inside 2 minutes of posting the add.

CASH IS KING!!!!

I for one have put PM sent enquiring about a certain product then did some research and opted out. Never committed to taking it though.

There are many who say I will take it, then a day later get cold feet and meanwhile the seller has declined legitimate buyers. That deserves a poor rating straight away. Time wasters

CASH IS KING!!!!

I for one have put PM sent enquiring about a certain product then did some research and opted out. Never committed to taking it though.

There are many who say I will take it, then a day later get cold feet and meanwhile the seller has declined legitimate buyers. That deserves a poor rating straight away. Time wasters

Agreed. I have enquired about items as i am not sure if i want it or not but wont say i sent a PM. I get asnwers on my questions then decide if i want to buy it.

Most times i want to buy pretty much everthing on the hub but then i realize i have a bond, expenses, children...etc...lol

Theoretically it's at the sellers discretion but normally if someone calls dibs then they must move forward making a solid undertaking to pay for the item immediately or at their earliest convenience(when back at the office/home etc). It can be used as a stalling tactic though, dibs I'm keen to take it but wait what size/type/condition, oh sorry it's the wrong one I'm out.

There is an unspoken dibs rule though, first to pm/sms/phone etc the seller and will pay the asking price has right of first refusal. Okes can get seriously miff if they believe they were first and the item gets sold to someone else, but it's not their call to make, just one of those things, move on.

The bottom line is if you see something you want in the classifieds jump right on it, things at the right price go literally in minutes, as anyone who trawls the classifieds will have experienced.

Slx brakes for R1k, gone!

Xt crank for R500, gone!

DAMMIT!

Agreed. I have enquired about items as i am not sure if i want it or not but wont say i sent a PM. I get asnwers on my questions then decide if i want to buy it.

Most times i want to buy pretty much everthing on the hub but then i realize i have a bond, expenses, children...etc...lol

+1