Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

So im in a stuggle now: i had a guy interested in something i was selling and asked if i could keep it for him for a few days. I said yes. He then came back to be amd said its not the right size stem for him. Fine, no issues.

I offered it to the second chap who showed interest. At the same time i had another chap wanting it urgently so told him he is third in line.

The second guy in line did not respond in almost two days so offered to the third chap. We exhanged details amd he said he would pay as we agreed. Then chap two came back to me saying he is still interested sobyold him in offered to chap three as i did not hear from him and we was ok with that.

Now chao three has gone quiet after two messages to him asking when he will make payment but no response. What now? Do i go back to chap two and look like a fool? Why do they do this to me?

I would give the guy another day, if payment doesn't reflect in the next day then go back to the second guy and ask if he still wants it as you were stuffed around.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well recently had a bad experience as well. Started getting the ball rolling on buying a fork, had a death in the family and left the guy hanging unintentionally for a few days, guy was very understanding, about everything, and we continued the deal.

Asked for detailed photos of the sanctions an through axle. Got some odd angled photos. But took it in good faith that its a solid bloke due to his courtesy in the matter.

Concluded the deal (even paid an exta 50 bucks admin fee on top of the postnet fee :huh: ) and was very shocked at the condition of the fork when I received it. Sanctions had three gouges out of it (photos cleverly angled so that you can see the damage), more bald spots than paint, seals busted, and fork basically dry inside.

Seller gladly reimbursed me the money for a new seal kit though.

Luckily the bikehub community came to my rescue with a new upper crown assembly and new seal kit (thank you again Popcorn Skollie, David Marshall and Droo  :clap: )

Now the question, how does one rate this seller, on the one hand he gave good before and after sale service, on the other, he was not truthful and forthcoming about the true condition of the fork?

Edited by Otero

Well recently had a bad experience as well. Started getting the ball rolling on buying a fork, had a death in the family and left the guy hanging unintentionally for a few days, guy was very understanding, about everything, and we continued the deal.

Asked for detailed photos of the sanctions an through axle. Got some odd angled photos. But took it in good faith that its a solid bloke due to his courtesy in the matter.

Concluded the deal (even paid an exta 50 buck admin fee on top of the postnet fee :huh: ) and was very shocked at the condition of the fork when I received it. Sanctions had three gouges out of it (photos cleverly angled so that you can see the damage), more bald spots than paint, seals busted, and fork basically dry inside.

Seller gladly reimbursed me the money for a new seal kit though.

Luckily the bikehub community came to my rescue with a new upper crown assembly and new seal kit (thank you again Popcorn Skolle, David Marshall and Droo  :clap: )

Now the question, how does one rate this seller, on the one hand he gave good before and after sale service, on the other, he was not truthful and forthcoming about the true condition of the fork?

this^^^

copy and paste, and that's your rating! put a link to this thread if buyers want more info

Rate him.  He tried to get away with something.

If it was not mentioned in the add then rate him.....badly.

Edited by Sepia

this^^^

copy and paste, and that's your rating! put a link to this thread if buyers want more info

Rate him.  He tried to get away with something.

If it was not mentioned in the add then rate him.....badly.

Made it a neutral rating for now, not sure if I can name the person. He is actually dealing on behalf of a very notorious buyer and (markup) seller causing much debate in the classified section. 

I would give the guy another day, if payment doesn't reflect in the next day then go back to the second guy and ask if he still wants it as you were stuffed around.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This third chap was so adamant on the stem and asked for banking details and then quiet. Not a word out of him after a few messages to him.

I mean really, why? I am sure there are guys that just do this for fun.

• 5 months later...

Is that the same BMC that was bought for R23k and now being sold for R32k?

yes!

if you watch the classifieds close enough, yes i do this, you will see quite a few cheap/good deals don't last long and get snapped up, and then weeks later, with different photos or/and good camera angles, bam they for sale and a higher price

Is this the case with most of BikeMarket's bikes?

It would not surprise me! There is a few bikes I've followed and noticed the price jump as soon as you see the same bike advertised behind that brick wall...

Me, I've decided NEVER to buy or sell with them, just out of principle. Just my opinion!

I have no problem someone making a bit of cash because they were quick enough to spot a bargain. But don't rip a new ring out of it...no one will pay that price and you probably deprived some honest hubber from owning a dream bike.  

Also not a fan of resellers... Especially when you know they are trying to rip you off.

Luckily there is a comments box and people who aren't sleeping