GPS for Development Triathletes - recommended?

Andymann

We have two development Triathletes who need GPS and HR monitors for training. The sponsor has agreed to an amount of R3500 each. I have already placed an ad in the classifieds for two used 910XT's, but there is always a risk of buying second hand - hence my question - Is there a new cheaper alternative to a used Garmin 910XT? The most important requirement must be that they can be downloaded to Training Peaks. After that, Running and cycling compatible (Paces and Speeds), and then swimming is a bonus, but not absolutely necessary. We don't need cadence or Power compatibility.

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks!

What distance races are they looking at?

The tomtom multisport(non cardio) would tick those boxes but its battery life is around 7 hours in the real world.

What distance races are they looking at?

The tomtom multisport(non cardio) would tick those boxes but its battery life is around 7 hours in the real world.

Only Olympic distance for now - maybe 5150 in time.

Thanks - I'll look into that!

• 6 years later...

Perhaps have a look at the Garmin Forerunner 35. It seems to cover what you need, plus more. 

can be used with wrist based HR, but I would suggest pairing with a chest HRM. You should be able to buy the watch and chest HRM within your budget. 

0A151096-2310-4E77-AE4A-10F1D21FA0CF.jpeg

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

So... 6.5 years later how did the development develop 🤟

I'm afraid it didn't.  If I recall the program lasted about two years before it was cancelled.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:13 PM, Andymann said:

I'm afraid it didn't.  If I recall the program lasted about two years before it was cancelled.

Sadly, like most development programs in this country. CSA gives zero f's.

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Triathlon doesn't fall under CSA. 

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

CSA, rather their schools division, have a development officer ... making all the right NOISE ....

But somehow they think that MORE than TRIPPELING the school affiliation fees is the way to go .... so much for an inclusive developmental mindset ....

Noting that this is but one part of developing a tri athlete.  Sadly this part of development is going the typical CSA route ....