Bonus

Do you think Sky would throw a race to silence the doping criticism?

Haters gonna hate irrespective of evidence or logic. Even your post, whilst not hating, plays to this logic.

Commercial considerations mean win the event. Then suck up/ignore any negative publicity.

no they won't throw the race, that's not what I said. froome will however still finish 2nd to Nairo.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been discussed before over the years but in this case, if the winner is cheating and wins by less than 2 mins and most of that time was gained on a windy section of an earlier stage, what does that say about the guy who came second?

It's been discussed before over the years but in this case, if the winner is cheating and wins by less than 2 mins and most of that time was gained on a windy section of an earlier stage, what does that say about the guy who came second?

as we just saw in the Tour the guy who is 2nd is the saint only the Gc leader from that team was a "doper"

Fantasy Vuelta, a lite version... are you interested in taking part?

• Basic scoring - points for the top 10-15 in each of the categories.
  • Categories are:
    • GC (Red jersey);
    • Sprint (Green Jersey);
    • KOM (Blue Polka Dot jersey);
    • Combined (White jersey);
    • Team;
    • There will be points for both the daily and overall top positions in the above categories.
  • Pick 9 riders and 2 teams - no subs.
  • No prizes - just for fun.

Everything will be managed and run on Google Sheets.
It's all setup, I just need the RIDER names and of course the loyal hubbers.

Fantasy Vuelta, a lite version... are you interested in taking part?

• Basic scoring - points for the top 10-15 in each of the categories.
  • Categories are:
    • GC (Red jersey);
    • Sprint (Green Jersey);
    • KOM (Blue Polka Dot jersey);
    • Combined (White jersey);
    • Team;
    • There will be points for both the daily and overall top positions in the above categories.
  • Pick 9 riders and 2 teams - no subs.
  • No prizes - just for fun.

Everything will be managed and run on Google Sheets.

It's all setup, I just need the RIDER names and of course the loyal hubbers.

will you start a seperate thread, where we can submit names etc?

will you start a seperate thread, where we can submit names etc?

Yes, I can start a new thread.

Names can be submitted next week once the Vuelta organisers release the names of the riders.

Yes, I can start a new thread.

Names can be submitted next week once the Vuelta organisers release the names of the riders.

dankie meneer

Eish!

Some preview here:

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 7.

STAGE 16: LUARCA–ERMITA DE ALBA (184KM)

There’s no Alto de l’Angliru in this year’s Vuelta, but the region of Asturias could possibly have gone one better with the Ermita de Alba. While, at less than 7 kilometers, it’s only half the length of its more famous neighbor, this never-before-climbed especial mountain averages a 11.2-percent grade and features pitches up to 30 percent! Many of the steepest sections come in the final kilometer, which averages around 15 percent, and coming as it does at the end of a very mountainous 184 kilometers—with the last 65 kilometers featuring the Cat. 2 Alto de Tenebredo and Alto del Cordal, and Cat. 1 Alto de la Cobertoria before the closing climb—the unthinkable could happen and we could see riders forced to walk to the finish line. Whoever is wearing the red jersey at the end of this stage will likely be the final winner in Madrid.

If I was a rider, I'd probably be thinking the Vuelta organisers have gone too far to 'out do' the other grand tours. 

Every year these organisers want to make things harder (more "spectacular for the fans") for TV ratings.

So they make a stage with 6000m of climbing (Stage 11) and now this mad summit finish on Stage 16.

The problem with making things impossibly difficult is that it achieves the opposite result: riders stop thinking about racing and revert to a 'survival mode' mindset. The average pace drops way down, there are no exciting attacks during the stage - the peloton just focuses on getting through the stage in one piece. Super hard stages basically become neutralised due to their difficulty.

Going back to the TDF this year with the incredible first week of racing. It was some of the best stage racing I've seen in many years. And that's because the parcours were more like Classics racing. The distances weren't impossible, the climbs were shorter, more punchy, there were a lot of teams and riders who thought they could win so they all raced full gas, whole teams working together with thoughtful tactics, laying everything on the line for the win. The yellow jersey was changing hands almost daily and nearly everyone was in play.

The opposite is going to happen with these insane stages. Everyone just goes into their shell. Pointless.