New ballot-style entry process for 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

I'm a Capetonian living in Botswana. I missed out on doing the Argus as I only started cycling last year so my first time was the cycle tour solidarity ride. I was SO glad is was shortened because I didn't train as hard as I should have, so 47km on a Sunday morning around my home town was great. I got online as soon as I heard entries were open, stayed online for an hour and got my bookings in. Hooray!

Bottom line: change is the only constant. And where people are reluctant to think too hard, they follow trends. I don't care. I will submit my application or whatever every year (as long as I can afford it), in whatever way i'm required to. If I get in, great. If I don't, subs or try again the next year.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a hub wide CTCT boycott?? Or a slow strike......

I would really feel better if there were any way that they could assure me that my wife, father and I would get places with this stupid system.

I do like the race, and I will fork out the R470 if we are lucky enough to get chosen.

If you look at the corruption stats in the country, I wonder who will need a bit of "$$$$$ motivation" to ensure a place in the race.

And they will almost certainly built in some kind of BBBBEEEEE system into the lucky draw.

Uncalled for [emoji20]

Guys i kind of have a issue with promoting the long time riders 20+ years. I mean wont that be the excuse of every year. How will we build future 20+ year riders if preferences have to be given to certain group? Its unfortunate that it has come to a lotto system but favouritism wont do justice to future or upcoming riders...my 2cent opinion

How many 10+ and 21+ riders do you think there are?

Maybe 5000 tops?

5000 Ppa member slots.

Still leaves 25000 slots.

There's plenty for newbies.

There is also likely a weighting for people who ride more fun rides.

I'd rather ride a mass start event with experienced riders than start in G with a group of spin class professionals with no bike handling skills

Maybe 5000 tops?

5000 Ppa member slots.

I'd rather ride a mass start event with experienced riders than start in G with a group of spin class professionals with no bike handling skills

Of the 25000 left ..how is going to charities....?

Maybe 5000 tops?

5000 Ppa member slots.

Just an observation

There are 15332 people who rode 10+ tours, obviously not all of them would still be active but guaranteeing everybody who did 10 or more tours a spot + 5000 ppa members + the charity entries won't leave as many open spots for the rest as you might think

I started out not being particularly positive about this ballot system, but the organisors do have a problem - what do you do when demand outstrips supply? - and it's going to get worse. I see a lot of bitching on here but not a lot of alternative solutions. I'm sure I'll find a way to be on the starting line early March, even if I miss out on the whole lotto thing.

Just an observation

sniiip

I'm sure I'll find a way to be on the starting line early March, even if I miss out on the whole lotto thing.

Exactly. you can be sure there will be a huge contingent of rogue riders who didnt make the BS lottery, save themselve R500 and decide to rock up and join in  a km or two down the road for the experience...

(probably happens to a small degree anyway...)

Just an observation

There are 15332 people who rode 10+ tours, obviously not all of them would still be active but guaranteeing everybody who did 10 or more tours a spot + 5000 ppa members + the charity entries won't leave as many open spots for the rest as you might think

I started out not being particularly positive about this ballot system, but the organisors do have a problem - what do you do when demand outstrips supply? - and it's going to get worse. I see a lot of bitching on here but not a lot of alternative solutions. I'm sure I'll find a way to be on the starting line early March, even if I miss out on the whole lotto thing.

Interesting stat! may I ask where you found it? I wasn't aware there are that many 10+ tour finishers

Just an observation

This.

Well, just to hedge my bets a little bit, I have renewed my PPA membership, and that of my family as well. We will ride the PPA races anyway and I'm pretty sure we'll get Argus entries, if we don't, we'll buy charity entries as we like the idea of supporting a good cause anyway. See you there.

So, why must I renew my PPA membership if I am not even guaranteed an entry?  Sorry, but I will attempt the lottery come September, and if both my son and I do not get an entry, I will just let go of next year's race then.  Would then rather do the smaller road races with my son. 

Will definitely skip on the Stellies Tour also, since I am sure that one will also be priced close to R400.  And that I will refuse to pay for a race with no full road closure.

Edited by Moridin

I've canned my PPA membership this year (it did nothing for me) so I guess I'm in the pool with all the other plebs this year. I was looking forward to the keyboard battle though...

Am I the only one that thinks that R470 to go around the peninsula is a bit ridiculous? I enjoy going into the Nedbank tent after the race, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. R4.31 per kilometer...

Rather selfish view - the PPA is about bigger things such as Safe Cycling Campaigning and as per their site...

While the largest portion of your membership fees are used to run the Association, any remaining funds are used to fund worthwhile cycling projects, from lobbying for cycle paths to assisting riders from previously disadvantaged areas and creating new MTB paths, so in a small way every member assists the Association to ‘put back’ into cycling.

Guys i kind of have a issue with promoting the long time riders 20+ years. I mean wont that be the excuse of every year. How will we build future 20+ year riders if preferences have to be given to certain group? Its unfortunate that it has come to a lotto system but favouritism wont do justice to future or upcoming riders...my 2cent opinion

ag shame - so you're going to say the guy who has done 20 of them shouldn't get a preference to ride? Really, you wouldn't support the loyalty of your best supporters, that's pretty much why they started the club21 - celebrate the okes who did that many and spur people to aim for that many finishes.

but just incase you think it's lank unfair - go check out the webpage/ viplog - http://results.cycletour.co.za/viplog.aspx?sid=1

there's 1628 guys who've done 20 or more tours. EVER.

now a certain amount of those okes will have moved on and won't be riding this year, but even if you gave them all a slot - then there's 38372 positions for the rest of the guys to get in.

(btw there's 12 284 okes who've done 10 or more, and 124 645 who've completed just one).