ScottCM

5 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

sounds like it, all this politics in sport is just draining. Seems like it is everywhere you go, at least in all sports I've been involved in. Glad the one Comrades I've done Anne was at the realm. Apparently most of the current board members that removed her have not run a single Comrades marathon let alone a run at all.

But then, again, and I've seen this in business myself. You don't always have to be an insert professional description in order to function as competent executive member. Maybe when it comes to sports, the passion for the event, and surrounding yourself with the correct people will win you most of the battle. 

It seems the CMA is stuck with a bunch of incompetent people trying, seeking lucrative opportunities. 

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

advice needed please - long distance fueling. I'm a die-hard Maurten fan but on longer distances they now give me nausea, nerves and cramps. (I have a snowflake princess stomach)

My setup was a combination of Maurten non caffiene gels and solid bars, with Tailwind naked flavored drink mix. I run slow so I don't need to go overboard with high energy input. But on all my longs runs I use fuel to familiarize and train my gut, and dial in my consumption strategy.

Recently switched to 32Gi endurance range - chew tablets and jelly bars. Taste is a 10/10. They do seem to work since their fame is slow releasing energy, just wondering what else is out there?

I've tried Gu throughout the years but that's a definite no-no for me.

11 minutes ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

advice needed please - long distance fueling. I'm a die-hard Maurten fan but on longer distances they now give me nausea, nerves and cramps. (I have a snowflake princess stomach)

My setup was a combination of Maurten non caffiene gels and solid bars, with Tailwind naked flavored drink mix. I run slow so I don't need to go overboard with high energy input. But on all my longs runs I use fuel to familiarize and train my gut, and dial in my consumption strategy.

Recently switched to 32Gi endurance range - chew tablets and jelly bars. Taste is a 10/10. They do seem to work since their fame is slow releasing energy, just wondering what else is out there?

Define 'long run'?

And road or trail?

30 minutes ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

Road training, 20km+

Ah... 

I'm no help with that unfortunately. 90min to 3 hrs I would drink water and probably eat some jelly sweeties and some exercise fudge if I had with me.

Or I would stop and buy something at a shop if I bonked I guess, but that is unlikely if running at a reasonable 'long run' pace.

On a lighter note for the Monday morning.

So my friend joined me on Saturday for a Trail Walk.  5km with about 120m elevation, thus a nice relaxed event.

Except .... we start walking at a speed walk pace .... not too worry, he tired quickly last time round, so I hang in there .... first long climb he keeps the pace, I am digging DEEP to keep up ....

Brief respite when we stop to take photos of the sunrise.

By 4km we turn and see the last long climb, and the steepest of them all .... time to drop my shoulders, lean into the hill and get up there !!

Not surprisingly, knocked a few minutes of my previous best.

1 hour ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

How much Maurten will you take on your long runs as it sounds like you have been going overboard already which is causing the cramps?

If you have eaten well and hydrated with a carb drink before you start, up to 75 min runs you shouldn't need anything else but water.  If you are going longer then look to digest 30-60g of carbs for every hour you expect to be on the road longer than 75 mins, but start taking 20-30 mins into your run, so that you don't deplete and bonk before the 75mins.

Anything up to 2:30hrs on easy long runs and I can happily run with water only and may carry a gel just in case I need.  If racing hard for a half marathon distance then will be taking gels every 30 mins as you are consuming your glycogen stores quickly.

Long easy training runs you are at fat adaption pace, so will get your fuel from your fat and do not need that much carbs to top up glycogen, so you maybe over doing the carbs intake on already still full glycogen stores, hence the nausea

Edited by shaper

2 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

Your nausea could be caused by drinking or / and eating to much, how much are you drinking before and during?

If your longest distances are 21km try drink less before / during the event and dilute the mixture with more water.

Nausea during an event is horrible, been there and learnt my lesson….

21 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

Another take on it - What I heard recently was that the nausea from gels is most likely because people don't realise they need to have fluid with it for it to digest. Without the fluid it just sits in the stomach and doesn't get absorbed, and causes nausea. I'm interested to hear what other people say about this.

I've been training my gut and trying to see how a new fuelling strategy works for recovery too. I pretty much always have a 500ml soft flask with me now with kitchen sugar or my own maltodextrin/ fructose mix and sodium. I find it easy enough just to carry in my hand on my runs. (It's more cost effective to mix my own because I'm using so much of it, otherwise I'd be happy enough to use stuff off the shelf.)

Edited by ridr

20 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Your nausea could be caused by drinking or / and eating to much, how much are you drinking before and during?

If your longest distances are 21km try drink less before / during the event and dilute the mixture with more water.

Nausea during an event is horrible, been there and learnt my lesson….

I fuel slow but I now deduce that I start too soon. I don't use any fuel on a run below 18km's, but do use water since I sweat profusely. If I run 20km or longer, I start using a gel/bar from 9km onward and stick to 9km intervals as opposed to time. As mentioned I qualify as a jogger not a runner and my LSD sits at an average of 6:40min/km to 7min/km depending on elevation gain. Still working on speed but all in good time. Drink mix only come into play at 25km's and up. So a 30km run for me will see me 3h20min+ on the road and then I aim for one drink mix sachet and 2, perhaps 3 fuels (gel and bar mix). I forget to drink water on the mtbbut force myself when running since I can't handle a gel without it. The 32Gi on the other hand feels completely fine without any water with no issues. But it hasn't been too long since I started them, will see how the next 4 long runs go.

I'm going to stick with the 32Gi for now, see if I can get away not using a drink mix and prolong the fuel introduction to prevent overloading. Worst that can happen I can bonk, have a pity party and call my husband sniffeling and ask him to come pick me up feeling sorry for myself! I'm just scared stiff of electrolyte loss since I look like a livestock salt lick after 10km's...

Edited by Vallende Vaandel

On 6/27/2024 at 1:30 PM, ScottCM said:

One a different note, See there are two Saffa's about (29/06 @ 14:00 SA Time) to start their maiden Western States. Best of luck Gents!!!

image.png.5c2179ea25ee77c9afa67376e313747f.png

Jack was a big part of Karkloof 100 in the early days. I see he had a good finish in 21:32

On 7/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, Vallende Vaandel said:

Recently rode the maurten train to see if the hype had any substance. this was training/racing building up to comrades.

Comparing gels directly with 32gi and gu, I was pleasantly chuffed at how it actually loaded so many carbs into the system without stomach issues, the only vomit urges I ever had was on seeing the price before buying. I'm a convert now, but only on special occasions!

so surprised to see you're struggling with it, and it seems like something has changed in your approach/system anyway.

i think you can do worse than following this episode to get some basics on what to put in and why/how it works.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Thanks for this. I too have been struggling with my nutrition (in events) and with my first ever 24hour event coming up I'd like to get my nutrition dialled in or test future plans.

Stomach is also a muscle, you need to train it. Build up your ability to process carbs slowly over time. Much like the opposite of fat adaption.

This is what I was told by the dietician at least. it is worth seeing a sports focused dietitian if you can.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Stomach is also a muscle, you need to train it. Build up your ability to process carbs slowly over time. Much like the opposite of fat adaption.

This is what I was told by the dietician at least. it is worth seeing a sports focused dietitian if you can.

Agreed. Also you need to test your body in rave conditions and know that there are so many variables that you can't discount something after one bad experience.