ScottCM

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the chemo. 

I have cut down alcohol and caffeine already and I have a healthy diet. I drink 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee a day and there is no starch in my diet. 

I think my problem is eating late and then going to bed. Found lots of articles on the internet that you need to eat at least 2 hours before lying down, also to eat two hours before a run, especially if you struggle with reflux. 

This makes my daily training schedule very tricky and something I need to work on. 

I run most nights at 7 pm (due to work and commuting) and then I only eat at 9 - 9:30 pm. Since Monday I have been eating my bigger meal of the day at lunchtime and then something smaller around 6 pm. 

The changes to my eating schedule and taking the medication has already made a difference. I still have the random nauseous feeling but something I will just have to deal with as I have to qualify for OMTOM on the 3rd of Feb...

Good to hear that you already have made adjustments. If it continues i would try cutting caffeine and alcohol out entirely. I find with myself, even just a single beer/wine/whiskey can give me reflux the next day.

Other than that, perhaps a trip to a gastroenterologist. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my problem is eating late and then going to bed. Found lots of articles on the internet that you need to eat at least 2 hours before lying down, also to eat two hours before a run, especially if you struggle with reflux. 

This makes my daily training schedule very tricky and something I need to work on. 

I run most nights at 7 pm (due to work and commuting) and then I only eat at 9 - 9:30 pm. Since Monday I have been eating my bigger meal of the day at lunchtime and then something smaller around 6 pm. 

Probably a silly question.. but why not train in the morning? then you can eat at a normal hour

Some advise requested...

I have at stages run a bit - perhaps as much as 40k's per week at stages.  But I started to suffer from a pain on my right knee at the outer right quadrant (10 o'clock or so) at around 3.5km.  This progresses from mild discomfort to pretty painful which severely limits my running, plus I worry about damaging my knees.  

I have done the very obvious stuff such as stretch before and after running, check my shoes (Asics Nimbus) and I am pretty neutral in my feet.  I have a foam roller but cannot honestly say I used it much.    

I do have tight hamstrings - I can reach to about 15cm from my toes! 

If I want to get back into running without pain, what do I do next? 

• Visit a running store (which one in Northern Joeys) that can relook at my running style and perhaps get new shoes. 
  • Visit a biokineticist?
  • Visit a podiatrist?
  • Use a foam roller and stretch? 

Buying new shoes or visiting medical people is pricey!  Happy to spend the money but not if it doesn't help.  What would you suggest is the best way forward? 

Probably a silly question.. but why not train in the morning? then you can eat at a normal hour

That seems to be the only option at the moment.

Location of pain is pretty to close to what might be itb. If it is then nothing but proper strengthening exercises will work. Glutes etc. Get to a physio for a proper diagnosis.

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the chemo.

I have cut down alcohol and caffeine already and I have a healthy diet. I drink 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee a day and there is no starch in my diet.

The changes to my eating schedule and taking the medication has already made a difference. I still have the random nauseous feeling but something I will just have to deal with as I have to qualify for OMTOM on the 3rd of Feb...

I must be lucky, not even sure what reflux is.

Almost Always eat after 9pm and then go to bed shortly after < 1 hr, drink 3-4 coffees a day

Hardly drink alcohol tho...

Some advise requested...

I have at stages run a bit - perhaps as much as 40k's per week at stages. But I started to suffer from a pain on my right knee at the outer right quadrant (10 o'clock or so) at around 3.5km. This progresses from mild discomfort to pretty painful which severely limits my running, plus I worry about damaging my knees.

I have done the very obvious stuff such as stretch before and after running, check my shoes (Asics Nimbus) and I am pretty neutral in my feet. I have a foam roller but cannot honestly say I used it much.

I do have tight hamstrings - I can reach to about 15cm from my toes!

If I want to get back into running without pain, what do I do next?

• Visit a running store (which one in Northern Joeys) that can relook at my running style and perhaps get new shoes.
  • Visit a biokineticist?
  • Visit a podiatrist?
  • Use a foam roller and stretch?
Buying new shoes or visiting medical people is pricey! Happy to spend the money but not if it doesn't help. What would you suggest is the best way forward?

Why not start with a running store and explain the situation to them.

The Sweat Shop and Randburg Runner are both great...get them to check your running style and go from there.

Comrades 2018 Route changes and distance - Comrades Marathon 2018 official distance revealed as 90.184km. Slightly longer than the 2016 down run route distance of 89.208km.

There are some route changes in Pietermaritzburg and approaching the finish.

http://www.comrades.com/2018-comrades-marathon-route-changes-and-official-distance

Thats going to be an extra 10 min for the 12hour runners. No more pit stops.????

Extra 10 min is a bloody long time for the 12h runners. I really feel bad for those guys. And Bill Rowan and Silver Cut Offs will be a tight one again...

But they don't call this the Ultimate Human Race.

Think the longer Route will Suite Camille Herron.

Picked up a calf injury on my run Weds... my post ride running injury issue continues. This is why I pretty much stopped riding as this is probably the 5th time my calf has packed up going for a run after a ride... 

I was sure to have a proper stretch after my ride on Sunday and was having a great run until this shot out of nowhere and I ended up limping home. Could barely walk yesterday despite lots of ice, it's a bit better today at least, but no Johnsons Crane for me Sunday.

Anybody else struggled with this? I know the two sports counter each other to a point, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I really want to get back into my riding, but can't afford to lose training time. I train too little as it is already

Any thoughts? Seeing my physio Monday and then will most likely will book in to see my Bio and try get some further insight from her

Bloody frustrating  :mellow:

Picked up a calf injury on my run Weds... my post ride running injury issue continues. This is why I pretty much stopped riding as this is probably the 5th time my calf has packed up going for a run after a ride...

I was sure to have a proper stretch after my ride on Sunday and was having a great run until this shot out of nowhere and I ended up limping home. Could barely walk yesterday despite lots of ice, it's a bit better today at least, but no Johnsons Crane for me Sunday.

Anybody else struggled with this? I know the two sports counter each other to a point, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I really want to get back into my riding, but can't afford to lose training time. I train too little as it is already

Any thoughts? Seeing my physio Monday and then will most likely will book in to see my Bio and try get some further insight from her

Bloody frustrating :mellow:

That sucks man!

My thoughts (besides for the usual culprits):

- Weak hamstrings

- Myofascial 'tightness' and adhesion in the back/hamstrings/calves

- Neural 'tightness'

Mine has been from neural

That sucks Andrew. Sorry to hear about that. My week of running also hasn't been like I want it to be. Lots of work stress made my legs feel like lead... So I struggled the whole week.

Working tomorrow morning 06:00, so I have to get up at 03:30 for a long run..

But that's life, if it was easy, everybody would do it.. :thumbup:

That sucks man!

My thoughts (besides for the usual culprits):

- Weak hamstrings

- Myofascial 'tightness' and adhesion in the back/hamstrings/calves

- Neural 'tightness'

Mine has been from neural

Thanks man, can you explain neural tightness to me?

I have been a bit slack on my bio work so will get back into that, but haven't felt any obvious weakness/imbalances in the legs in quite some time. Also played squash on Friday for the first time in ages, so that might have had some input in this too.

Thanks man, can you explain neural tightness to me?

I have been a bit slack on my bio work so will get back into that, but haven't felt any obvious weakness/imbalances in the legs in quite some time. Also played squash on Friday for the first time in ages, so that might have had some input in this too.

I'll try and do the short version.

I'll focus on the stuff running down the leg, and ignore upper body stuff.

Nerves cells are extremely long, often running the entire length of the nerve.  These are encased an protected by sheets of collagen.

If the nerves or the sheets become irritated/not used for a while/subjected to poor posture etc., they can shorten and/or adhere to surrounding structures (often muscle fascia).

This can result in neural tissue tightness, and are often secondary to acute compression onto the nerve structures (over stretching can cause this), chronic overuse (especially unaccustomed activities), muscle imbalances, joint issues, poor posture, etc.

That then causes changes in the nerve structures - swelling, local lack of oxygen, chemical irritation, decreased blood flow, etc. - all causing pain.

The pain causes muscle guarding/spasm to protect the inflamed neural tissue.  If the issue persists, it may lead to fibrosis around the nerves, leading to deceased elasticity, and adhesion to the surrounding structures.  This then causes more load on the nerves, and you become stuck in a downward spiral.