ScottCM

I will def have to buy you a beer for the Skukuza one I missed lol.

Nothing like a Maluti or 6 after spending 7hours in the mountains..

Will be my 3rd , Love that weekend

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a set of NB 1080v8's to replace the ones that were stolen just about a year ago out of my car. Now begins the slog of getting better while taking care of the knees. 

Would have dearly loved a set of trail shoes, but the 2E (extra width) that they had in trails were still too narrow for my foot. I've tried allllll the options that are readily available (salomon / adidas / nike / etc etc) but these are the only ones that fit properly. At least the tread pattern on the 1080's is okay for light trail running when it's dry, and I'm not gonna be doing heavy distances in them... 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Just bought a set of NB 1080v8's to replace the ones that were stolen just about a year ago out of my car. Now begins the slog of getting better while taking care of the knees. 

Would have dearly loved a set of trail shoes, but the 2E (extra width) that they had in trails were still too narrow for my foot. I've tried allllll the options that are readily available (salomon / adidas / nike / etc etc) but these are the only ones that fit properly. At least the tread pattern on the 1080's is okay for light trail running when it's dry, and I'm not gonna be doing heavy distances in them... 

I feel your pain regarding getting wide shoes. New Balance normally comes in 2E width. Only other options are Inov-8 and Altra, but these are not widely available and zero or low drop mostly which you may not like. Sportsmans have started stocking some Altras. You can try Run Store as well. 

Altras all have a very wide toe box, but all zero drop.

Inov-8 Terraultra (widest, zero drop)

Inov-8 Trailtalon 235 (wide, 4mm drop)

Inov-8 Trailtalon 290 (wide, 8mm drop)

Edited by gifs

I feel your pain regarding getting wide shoes. New Balance normally comes in 2E width. Only other options are Inov-8 and Altra, but these are not widely available and zero or low drop mostly which you may not like. Sportsmans have started stocking some Altras. You can try Run Store as well. 

Yeah, I went straight for the only trail shoes they have in 2E, and they were too narrow. But the 1080's (also a 2E shoe) were perfect. 

Will see what the others look like, and if they fit. Mehness. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Guys im running my first marathon in 11 weeks .  At the moment im running 2 x 10km runs and a long 15-18km on sundays.  I still ride MTB 2 x a week plus i do gym 2 x a week .Anything else i should be doing?

Aim is to finish in approx 4h30 .  Basically happy to finish without walking.

Guys im running my first marathon in 11 weeks .  At the moment im running 2 x 10km runs and a long 15-18km on sundays.  I still ride MTB 2 x a week plus i do gym 2 x a week .Anything else i should be doing?

Longer runs!  15-18 km and other training means your cardiorespiratory fitness is good but marathon running requires musculoskeletal conditioning as well. You have no idea how sore your legs can get past 30 km until you've tried it without the preconditioning!

Hill training, both up and down, will also help with getting some eccentric muscle contraction training  to prevent the dreaded DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)

Definitely up your long run, increase it by 10% a week, pull back slightly every 4th week for recovery. Aim for at least 1 30km long run 3 weeks before your marathon.

Longer runs!  15-18 km and other training means your cardiorespiratory fitness is good but marathon running requires musculoskeletal conditioning as well. You have no idea how sore your legs can get past 30 km until you've tried it without the preconditioning!

Hill training, both up and down, will also help with getting some eccentric muscle contraction training  to prevent the dreaded DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)

This.... :thumbup:

But without knowing your fitness, its hard to say. I would definitely add a few 28-32km runs in and try get at least 2 45-50km weekends in.

Uitsoek Is such an awesome race. It's something like 2200m of climbing in 40km. But those views makes up for all the suffering.

Decided to skip Comrades next year and rather do some of the bucket list races I always wanted to do. So I'm in for the Mac Mac 100miler,UTCT 100km and the DNT.

MacMac is epic. I thoroughly enjoyed it this year.. UTCT is very red carpet and 'hoo-ha' which isn't my scene, but it is a very special event. One you will remember. 

I am looking at doing the AMUK 400 next year, so will see you at MacMac!

Nice selection of races. Throw in this... https://kzntrailrunning.co.za/venues/port-edward-port-st-johns/ and you have an amazing spread.

We did a trek leg in 2014 EA from Port Edward to Port St Johns via Fraser George. It was tough!

Edited by Jewbacca

Yeah, I went straight for the only trail shoes they have in 2E, and they were too narrow. But the 1080's (also a 2E shoe) were perfect. 

Will see what the others look like, and if they fit. Mehness. 

Altra shoes dude... They are wide.

My hobbit feet in there with room to spare.

FYI for those who like tights but dont want all the " hey sexy " whistling from the street corners 

i bought a pair of these from Decathlone at R229 been using them for about 2 weeks now .

has a pre built lycra insert in them and super comfy also they a bit longer than normal running shorts so dont feel like hot pants 

post-8504-0-14027200-1565873864_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that im building up to longer runs so i will add 10% per week .  I do run up signal hill a lot so they helps i just need to slowly build up up to the longer distances .  My main query is doing 2 x 10km plus a weekly long run x 11 weeks enough to finish the marathon in a sub 430 or so?

Guys im running my first marathon in 11 weeks . At the moment im running 2 x 10km runs and a long 15-18km on sundays. I still ride MTB 2 x a week plus i do gym 2 x a week .Anything else i should be doing?

Aim is to finish in approx 4h30 . Basically happy to finish without walking.

Yup you need to up the long run to 25 regularly... With one or two 30s before tapering.

Some advice someone gave me for my first marathon was walk all the tables in the second half. You are allowed to walk in a marathon.. In fact.... With 15 marathons and Ultras under my belt..I managed to completely run my first marathon this year only (albeit with a small walk in the final km)

Thanks for that im building up to longer runs so i will add 10% per week .  I do run up signal hill a lot so they helps i just need to slowly build up up to the longer distances .  My main query is doing 2 x 10km plus a weekly long run x 11 weeks enough to finish the marathon in a sub 430 or so?

In theory, yes. But that massively depends on you. Where you are starting from, your mental toughness etc... Theory is one thing but there is no definitive answer here.

If you're doing 40km a week plus strength and change, you should manage. But again, should, not will

you guys are making me nervous now...my first marathon is Cape Town Marathon and the longest run ive done is 24km.  Do around 45km a week.  Now im panicking that I havent done enough long runs.