ScottCM

I also managed to crawl in at 3:46...

But having told a friend of mine the afternoon before that I'm feeling so crappy that I'm most likely not even going to make sub-4 and expecting to do another run to quali for Oceans (if I do it) I am very happy with it. Which was the point where I grabbed some wine and stopped worrying about it. Lo and behold, all was fine, hip became a bit of a beach later on, but I'm happy with what transpired. 

And ironically, after the shower my hip felt better than it had in months! Even now... Who says running don't cure injuries?!  :ph34r:  :whistling: 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for the advice - I almost made a rookie error - luckily I read the instructions and saw that the water stations are cupless - I would have blundered forward and then been really grumpy when I got to the water station and not been able to drink.

I am now the proud owner of a collapsable cup from First Ascent!

FFS.  WTF.  That was nothing like I had in mind.  I realized when we went up the bloody steps to get to the trail that there was no way I was going under 2hrs.  So that plan rapidly went out the window.

And then had a sense of humour failure when at about 17km we hit the road and you could hear the announcer I thought yes please, 2:10 is doable.  So I upped the pace, only to have the 22km route split off again up the damn mountain for about the 10th time.  Big mistake!

Eventually hobbled in at 2:20.  My fitness was fine, but there was no way I was going to be able to run up and down the rocks like the real Trail runners.  And my quads and calves are hammered.

Was a spectacular route though, and the scenery was brilliant!

Greetings,

CANSA Active would like to invite riders to Ride for a Purpose - CANSA Active at the 94.7 race. You can Ride for us in the Road and MTB race. We aim to get people moving.

For more information please contact me: Liesel van Zyl lvanzyl@cansa.co.za

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Liesel

So how did everyone’s race work out? Mine fell apart at about 25km’s. Was going along merrily hitting my targets and all of a sudden my gut just refused to work with me. Cramps and extreme heartburn. Had to resort to walking lots more than I planned and also sucking down water in an effort to try and get the heartburn sorted which of course led to a sloshing, uncomfortably full stomach. Really disappointed thought I had finally sorted out my nutrition issues with the Tailwind. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Managed to crawl over the line in 03:45 when I had thought a sub3:30 was on the table. Everyone around me cannot understand why I’m so disappointed in that as it is not that bad a time but ja, really hoped to do much better.

I also managed to crawl in at 3:46...

But having told a friend of mine the afternoon before that I'm feeling so crappy that I'm most likely not even going to make sub-4 and expecting to do another run to quali for Oceans (if I do it) I am very happy with it. Which was the point where I grabbed some wine and stopped worrying about it. Lo and behold, all was fine, hip became a bit of a beach later on, but I'm happy with what transpired. 

And ironically, after the shower my hip felt better than it had in months! Even now... Who says running don't cure injuries?!  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I think you two need to re-evaluate your definition of "crawl". If you want to know what actual crawling entails, I'd be happy to assist  :P . (It does not involve running a sub 4 marathon btw)

Haha, mine should've been in comics font - I joked with Ronnie's "crawl"...

I was very happy with my time and would have been happy with it even if I was feeling good! Having not felt good in the lead-up and having the niggle returning (which you can clearly see in my splits) I am actually over the moon with my time. And despite everything, and maybe because I was aware of not feeling top of the pops, I ended the run feeling good and never felt so good after any marathon - even today the stiffness is nowhere compared to my usual agony shuffle up the stairs. (I am deliberately not mentioning down!) A colleague also just said that I really don't look like somebody that ran yesterday.

I expected the hip to stiffen up during the day - nothing! I am sooo baffled about that. 

Craai apologies for using the term ‘crawled’ haha. After a nights rest I feel much better about yesterday’s effort and know I will hit that goal sometime or the other. Yesterday was just not that day. In the midst of all this self induced ‘anguish’ I am still very happy for those that reached their targets including my buddy with a 4:27 in his first ever marathon.

Woohoo boston entry confirmed.. Major bucket list!

Congrats... somehow "Vaal marathon entry confirmed" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. (even though they are more or less on par prestige wise)  :ph34r: