ScottCM

Any advice for calf cramps please? 

Of late I started to feel my calves during and after my runs and during last years Comrades I struggled with it and also this past weekends marathon.    I am able to walk it off and go on, but it is on the limit the whole time then, biting the whole time.   My calves are always tight and sore as well.

I have never struggled with cramps before and always run the long stuff with Hammer endurolytes fizz and extreme tablets and I lean towards over hydrate, not dehydrate

I did run this marathon harder than normally, so I do keep that in mind, but the weather was cold and perfect.

Is there perhaps something that I might be missing to add to my diet, exercise or running nutrition?  It is not a train smash, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something small perhaps.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of late I started to feel my calves during and after my runs and during last years Comrades I struggled with it and also this past weekends marathon.    I am able to walk it off and go on, but it is on the limit the whole time then, biting the whole time.   My calves are always tight and sore as well.

I have never struggled with cramps before and always run the long stuff with Hammer endurolytes fizz and extreme tablets and I lean towards over hydrate, not dehydrate

I did run this marathon harder than normally, so I do keep that in mind, but the weather was cold and perfect.

Is there perhaps something that I might be missing to add to my diet, exercise or running nutrition?  It is not a train smash, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something small perhaps.

From the little I know, this was the issue. Not nutrition. Muscles reacting to being hammered differently in a race than in training. I was guilty of this when I did more cycling, found the reason, altered training, viola, no more cramps.

Of late I started to feel my calves during and after my runs and during last years Comrades I struggled with it and also this past weekends marathon. I am able to walk it off and go on, but it is on the limit the whole time then, biting the whole time. My calves are always tight and sore as well.

Is there perhaps something that I might be missing to add to my diet, exercise or running nutrition? It is not a train smash, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something small perhaps.

Do you do strength training /lift weights?

What condition are your shoes in?

I'm with SeaBea... Running a marathon 'harder than normal' will cause havoc.

Train for that sustained effort. If you can imagine a non runner running at your normal pace for a marathon, then just translate that across the varying degrees.

What condition are your shoes in?

Brand new.

I also thought it should just be the fatigue on C day and the harder marathon.

Anyone been watching Nick Bare on youtube?

The oke is a unit, powerlifter/crossfit build, but he is currently trying to qualify for Boston Marathon.

Last year he put 5 months aside to train for an Ironman and hammered an 11h28min there so it will be interesting to see. He is down 15kg as at mid January and looking a lot less bouncer like-it is cool to see the mental switch and focus.

Hey guys left my two oceans qualifying a bit late so I over trained the last couple of weeks and gave myself shin splints. Need to run a martahon in two weeks so looking for any recovery tips and alternative exercises to keep fit? Thanks

I thought that I might be developing shin splints about 2 months ago and found it quite strange due to not taking too many breaks in training. I bought a container that would be knee height for me, filled it with ice and water, spent 15-20 minute sessions treating the issues and now it's all gone. I also started wearing compression sleeves, and I now use these two methods after the harder training sessions to prevent any recurring issues.

I thought that I might be developing shin splints about 2 months ago and found it quite strange due to not taking too many breaks in training. I bought a container that would be knee height for me, filled it with ice and water, spent 15-20 minute sessions treating the issues and now it's all gone. I also started wearing compression sleeves, and I now use these two methods after the harder training sessions to prevent any recurring issues.

Which compression socks did you buy ? 

Anyone been watching Nick Bare on youtube?

The oke is a unit, powerlifter/crossfit build, but he is currently trying to qualify for Boston Marathon.

Last year he put 5 months aside to train for an Ironman and hammered an 11h28min there so it will be interesting to see. He is down 15kg as at mid January and looking a lot less bouncer like-it is cool to see the mental switch and focus.

Seriously impressive, I hope he gets that sub 3.

That feeling when your hard 10k looks like this on Strava when you're done. Stupid "smart"phone!

I had enough of those to just bite the bullet and get a watch. Demoralizing when you finish your run and see that [emoji2363]

That feeling when your hard 10k looks like this on Strava when you're done. Stupid "smart"phone!

basic suunto or garmin will solve the issue sadly

Hard 10k... I'd say (given the 1s/km splits you hammered out there)