ScottCM

Did the Deloitte Phobean's Pretoria half marathon yesterday.

If you want a hill challenge, do this one next year. Those hills will humble you.

Better still - do the marathon and see the hills twice.

did Deloittes marathon. Elevation gain is 767 according to Strava. I missed my 3:30 target by 15mins. Next challenge is Sunrise Monster 32km  :)

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After almost two weeks of no running, the leg felt good over the weekend. Went for a very gentle little run this morning. Leg felt really good... Halfway through the morning I got up from my chair for coffee. Cursed and sat back down.

Long story short... the first appointment I could get at my bio is only Friday. My wife's response - about bloody time you went to see her.

Guess it's back to light riding till then... 

Ran the new Capital City half marathon yesterday (old PMB marathon), my husband ran the full marathon...what a great, well thought out route.  Only negative is that we started in the dark and the first 3km were very slow because there were no street lights and plenty potholes and the marshalls and water tables were not quite ready.

I can only think that they will better it next year and a really good route for a qualifier judging by the times friends of mine did it in.

Ran the new Capital City half marathon yesterday (old PMB marathon), my husband ran the full marathon...what a great, well thought out route. Only negative is that we started in the dark and the first 3km were very slow because there were no street lights and plenty potholes and the marshalls and water tables were not quite ready.

I can only think that they will better it next year and a really good route for a qualifier judging by the times friends of mine did it in.

My friends all PBd, but they have been putting in the effort, so not sure if it was the course [emoji1787]... Perfect weather conditions for running too on Sunday in Pmb. But yeah, great route.

Haac was there too

I completely underestimated the route. I loved the scenery! The first 10km is basically uphill. It was quite hot and the last 10km is flat without much shade. Most of the waterpoints had luke warm water and not much coke. I enjoyed the experience, not a big field so it was good mental prep as you are mostly running alone.

Thought I’d tell you my running story so far.

ive never done any endurance sport before.

Been riding since last year January and threw in some running as cross training,couple of kms here and there.

By June I was comfortably doing 5km,then end of July I went in for my 2nd cardiac ablation which stopped my running for about 8weeks.

Slowly build up my running and by December could run 10kms comfortably.

I mentioned to my wife at Christmas that I’d like to do a half marathon in 2020, 2nd of January my with says why not enter the Bay Ultra half on the 1st February,so I did

Longest training run was 15kms.

Race day felt good,started pacing behind a couple doing about 5-45, running into a slight sea breeze,at the turn still felt good.

But as I turned no more breeze and the sweat poured struggled to get a gel down and breathe at the same time,took about 1km to get my breathing under control.

At the 15km mark the struggle became real,by 18km my feet,legs,lungs and heart were all telling me to walk for a while but head wouldn’t let me(stubborn) it was the longest 3kms of my life in utter pain.

Crossed the line in 2h01m22 sec,the pain was replaced with utter elation,it was a bucket list moment. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

That was my first race but looking forward to my next,hopefully not as undercooked

Well done!

This was my second time doing a half marathon event.

Finished in 2h28, which I am happy with. Got a bad case of runner's stomach though.

While the hydration points were great, I think they should have said there wouldn't be any food. And most importantly, that there wouldn't be toilets!

I know for a lot of people a half marathon doesn't require food, but just knowing exactly what would be provided would have been nice.

But otherwise, a really great run!

Anyone here run in Saucony?  What are your impression of them?  Im looking for a trail shoe and find the Asics Trabuco quiet "stiff"

Anyone here run in Saucony?  What are your impression of them?  Im looking for a trail shoe and find the Asics Trabuco quiet "stiff"

Meeeee!!! I love them, but it's a very personal thing.

I use (for trail) the Peregrine range, have since the P 5. They are not too heavy, nice grip and esp the later versions works well on rock as well. (The 5's had agro tread but was slippery as anything on the smooth granite-type rock - was fine on more "rough" rocks.) 

Note that there's a 4mm drop on these - most people are used to more.

I had one - the first one where they had the more knit-type upper - where the upper itself did not last all that well. But I'm still running in it... 

Forefoot is nice and wide enough and rear has a comfortable tight fit - not sloppy and not Achilles-hindering. 

Don't know what more you want to know? But like I said, it's very personal. It will take some convincing to get me to run in any other trail shoe. (Except maybe Altra, but they're too hard to find!)

Look at the HOKA One One Speedgoat. 

5mm drop and good cushioning. 

I see the Nike/Salazar doping issue is back in the headlines here with Sir Mo at first denying and then admitting to some form of doping. But reckons he ran crap anyway. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

Thanks guys

I bought the Hoka Speedgoat, only shoe that I ever spent a fortune on and I last 200km in them and gave up.  I battled with the stack height and felt I was always trying to "hang on" to the shoe.  Now I use them to hike in and have accepted that im just not a Hoka person.

Think I must go see what Poobie has in the Saucony range, their prices are usually pretty much the same as One day Only.

I have one set of Triumph road shoes and I really really like them, and I say that with 5 pairs of Brooks Ghosts from versions 9-12 next to them.   

The peregrines keeps on crossing my path and I believe that will be my next pair of trail shoes.    My colleague says it feels like pantoffels on his feet!

Thanks guys

I bought the Hoka Speedgoat, only shoe that I ever spent a fortune on and I last 200km in them and gave up.  I battled with the stack height and felt I was always trying to "hang on" to the shoe.  Now I use them to hike in and have accepted that im just not a Hoka person.

Think I must go see what Poobie has in the Saucony range, their prices are usually pretty much the same as One day Only.

Edited by soslow

Thanks guys

My wife only runs in saucony and recently bought the new ladies saucony peregrines from Poobies and absalutely loves them.