ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our sincere condolences to the family.

(How close must the heli go to the mountain to see a body. Surely it's difficult to spot unless they use binoculars? Must be very difficult.)

Edited by Let's Ride

Odd question, as I am still coming to grips with all this pain cave technology. 

I managed 2 short run sessions on the treadmill. One was fine which was a zone 1/2 steady jog that I did a walk run for the duration. 

The second session called for warm ups and then various times in certain zones :

20 sec zone 4 and 40 secs recovery, how is this even possible, by the time I get the treadmill to 13 or 14 speed it's taken 20 sec to get there and equally so on getting back to fast walk recovery. 

I have an old trojan cardio coach 5000, not sure if newer treadmills deal with these speed changes much quicker. 

I I have noticed I run like a hippo, while trying to be aware of how I am landing and rolling off (usually heel, but if I concentrate I can strike more flat then roll onto the balls and off to next stroke. 

I really should get out on the road, working from home, it's just easy to hit the treadmill or indoor trainer for my sessions. 

Really itching to take both the bike and run outside, but do want to master indoor training as well. 

A suggestion on doing your speed session, 20 sec on 40 sec off seems to be more about anaerobic Capacity building so bearing that in mind I would advise after a solid warm up with some accelerations, stand on the side of the treadmill and put the speed up to 20 sec pace, when ready support yourself on your hands on the rails and jump on, you will be able to be running within a stride or two.  At 20 Secs put hands on rails and again jump off.  So you dont have to build up pace and slow down.  Obviously the distance on the treadmill will not quiet match what you actually do but the important aspect of this session in the 20 sec and the recovery for a short duration can be static. 

A suggestion on doing your speed session, 20 sec on 40 sec off seems to be more about anaerobic Capacity building so bearing that in mind I would advise after a solid warm up with some accelerations, stand on the side of the treadmill and put the speed up to 20 sec pace, when ready support yourself on your hands on the rails and jump on, you will be able to be running within a stride or two.  At 20 Secs put hands on rails and again jump off.  So you dont have to build up pace and slow down.  Obviously the distance on the treadmill will not quiet match what you actually do but the important aspect of this session in the 20 sec and the recovery for a short duration can be static. 

Great suggestion thanks, I was almost doing similar, jumping off and slowing the belt down, but this sounds far easier to get the actual work in more effectively

Great suggestion thanks, I was almost doing similar, jumping off and slowing the belt down, but this sounds far easier to get the actual work in more effectively

Sounds like you have converted a cycling micro intervals workout for running?  Would be better to do such speed work intervals out on the road rather than on a treadmill.  Else change and adapt the workout to perhaps  60s Zone 4 and 60s recovery, which will give you time to adjust the treadmill speed and actually have the extended time in Zone 4, which will be more beneficial.

Sounds like you have converted a cycling micro intervals workout for running?  Would be better to do such speed work intervals out on the road rather than on a treadmill.  Else change and adapt the workout to perhaps  60s Zone 4 and 60s recovery, which will give you time to adjust the treadmill speed and actually have the extended time in Zone 4, which will be more beneficial.

It’s just a generic base program for Olympic , so luckily just one like this for the week, the rest are 30-32 min z2 efforts x 2 sessions 

but I think its a great idea to start getting outside and not rely on treadmill and indoor all the time, only outside training I do is mountain bike ride once a week if lucky lately. 

10 - 20 sec intervals at max effort with 40 sec to 2 min recovery are going to force a different training adaption to do 60 sec on and 60 sec off. 

I actually often prescribe very short intervals, 10- 20 sec in length as a way of improving NM  power and recruitment. ( Obviously depends when in the periodisation.)  In the majority of cases this will be out on the road on a hill but I do have athletes who are forced to do these type sessions on a treadmill.

I know a lot of people feel that the treadmill is a poor substitute for road, but hey I had a novice female Veteran runner do a 9:00 Up Comrades with 80% of her running done on a treadmill.  Also Greta Waitz multiple world champ at 10 000m and marathon trained large proportions  of her runs on a treadmill.

10 - 20 sec intervals at max effort with 40 sec to 2 min recovery are going to force a different training adaption to do 60 sec on and 60 sec off. 

I actually often prescribe very short intervals, 10- 20 sec in length as a way of improving NM  power and recruitment. ( Obviously depends when in the periodisation.)  In the majority of cases this will be out on the road on a hill but I do have athletes who are forced to do these type sessions on a treadmill.

I know a lot of people feel that the treadmill is a poor substitute for road, but hey I had a novice female Veteran runner do a 9:00 Up Comrades with 80% of her running done on a treadmill.  Also Greta Waitz multiple world champ at 10 000m and marathon trained large proportions  of her runs on a treadmill.

Agree, some of my workouts have 20s flat out sprints, but would do all on the road.  Just think that if you are confined to a treadmill longer sprints with recoveries will be more beneficial and "easier" to do.

I would always advocate that sprint work be done on the road or a track if at all possible.  

Treadmill has it's place and can be great for those 4-5 minute intervals where you can set and know it is a constant pace, without having to try to judge this on the road and have hills and/or downhills, or road crossings which may have an influence.

Edited by shaper

Agree, some of my workouts have 20s flat out sprints, but would do all on the road.  Just think that if you are confined to a treadmill longer sprints with recoveries will be more beneficial and "easier" to do.

I would always advocate that sprint work be done on the road or a track if at all possible.  

Treadmill has it's place and can be great for those 4-5 minute intervals where you can set and know it is a constant pace, without having to try to judge this on the road and have hill and/or downhills which may have an influence.

and staircase runs are great on a treadmill. start at a fast pace and then speed up each km for 5km.

I find for 20s and other short striding intervals a treadmill doesn't react fast enough. Better to run outdoors/track for that.

The body of the runner was found. So very sad. RIP

So sad. Consolences to his family and friends.

Run in Peace fellow runner

powerful

Shame these medical professionals are taking a hammering.

Dr Carey- also a flipping strong local runner, her blog hits home hard with me some days.

https://malcarey.wixsite.com/lockdowndiaries/post/me-uncensored?fbclid=IwAR2MxZQJwUhufwGC3qOy986EwBSGWXmk3B-0VMeUcpJabigZpwRN7awhNVs

Brilliant read... sadly, I've come to realise, people just do not read.

You'd need to summarize this into 50 words and add a pretty picture to get any traction.

And even then, because it doesn't tick the confirmation bias box, it would be written off as fear mongering or fake news...

Don't we live in such wonderful times 

Brilliant read... sadly, I've come to realise, people just do not read.

You'd need to summarize this into 50 words and add a pretty picture to get any traction.

And even then, because it doesn't tick the confirmation bias box, it would be written off as fear mongering or fake news...

Don't we live in such wonderful times 

Very true words. But unfortunately social distancing is only practice by a very small part of the country. Local townships doesn't practice or adhere to any social distancing or rules. They do as they please.. When its SASSA Payouts, it's even worse.