ScottCM

How the new shoes treating you?  Any rolled ankles?

NONE!! Absolutely loving them thanks.

My fiance got herself a pair of Gel Nimbus 22's from the same shop. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you need a polarised, periodic well balanced program. Balance hard days and easy days. Hard weeks and easy weeks and some hard bikes followed by easy runs or hard runs followed by easy bikes. 

Welcome to the world of multisport where planning your training is a lot more complex. Add paddling, swimming, rock climbing and walking the dogs in there to spice it all up.

Ok let me issue the following disclaimer. I ain't no athlete. More of a way below average joe who likes to do a little sweating.

Currently the running is taking preference. Maybe it's coz it's the new shiny thing. Before LD I would do 2 spinning classes during the week and that provided the intensity. Currently the running is doing that. I'm really kuk at it so all running is at a high intensity for me

I don't do free riding in zwift. I'm on a program but there's no way I'd be able to maintain the high intensity sessions in zwift as well as get up at 5.30 the next morning to run. So I've lied to zwift and dropped my ftp in the program to still do the "miles" but at a lower intensity.

Indeed. I aspire to being called a jogger. I'm more of a shuffler at the moment.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. The last time i did any running my first name was Troep.

In that case, you are probably doing the right thing. Manage the cycling to keep a level of base fitness and get out there and improve the running. As Dave mentioned, I would suggest you mix up the running though. Some of the runs should be a slightly lower intensity, you will benefit from this. Even if that means run/walk for now and then throw in a intensity session on the bike every other week. 

I'd also like to agree with the above. You must learn to run easy. Otherwise, no matter what you do on the bike, eventually you'll injure yourself running.

My start to running was filled with the fear of injury, so easy running was part of my build-up. (I actually started running in the build-up to first W2W to stay fit during winter...) So it comes naturally to me to just go for an easy run every now and then. 

Do yourself the favour and learn to run easy. It's not as easy as it sounds!

I was in a chat with Landie Greyling a while ago and she commented how absolutely horribly hard it was when they altered their training to do more low-intensity training. It was an absolute mission to learn herself to run at low intensity. And she's a quite well-trained athlete.

If I may ask a question from the knowers?

I'm currently running around 18 km a week. 2*5k during the week and an 8k on the weekend. I know that's mikey mouse. The running really really takes it out of me but I am loving it and I have no intention of stopping.

My concern is around my cycling. I do a bit of IDT work on Zwift during the week. What I've done is drop my FTP on zwift for my workouts so I'm effectively training at a lower intensity in Zwift. My HR still gets into the red but I'm not killing myself.

Do you peeps think I'm negatively affecting my cycling by doing this? Am I wasting my time? Should I just can the IDT sessions? I really can't see myself training any harder at this point and I'm happy to be in a maintenance phase with the cycling at the moment.

I can relate to what you're feeling, as I'm a relatively newbie to running too (started in December 2017). In 2018, I worked my up from C25K (in 8 weeks), then 10K (after 14 weeks) and finally 21Km by November 2018. I was doing 2x5Km in the week and a 10Km on Sundays. I'd then do 2 IDT sessions in the week and the usual LSD ride with the club on Saturday.

I found that my cycling form took a dip, a big one, and I was struggling with power on the climbs. In 2019 I cut down the runs to 1/weekday and the 10Km on Sunday. I still struggled with the power on the hills.

In 2020 I alternated my runs/IDT session so that I was only doing 2 HIIT efforts per week. Some weeks I'd do two hard IDT sessions and then do a recovery run, or no run that week. Other weeks, I'd split it 50/50 but hardly did a week without an IDT session. While I still struggle up hills, in comparison to the years where I used to fly up without problems, I am not as bad as I used to be with heavy legs.

That's me, others see a benefit in running and cycling, but I don't. To answer your question about it affecting your cycling... I would say yes, as I was affected by doing something similar. As one person said to me: "I'm trying to serve two masters: age group (vets) racing and running 21Km races".

Now to go read what everyone else might have said in the replies between your post and this one.

I'd also like to agree with the above. You must learn to run easy...

Do yourself the favour and learn to run easy. It's not as easy as it sounds!

I was in a chat with Landie Greyling a while ago and she commented how absolutely horribly hard it was when they altered their training to do more low-intensity training. It was an absolute mission to learn herself to run at low intensity. And she's a quite well-trained athlete.

Agreed. This was the biggest factor in improving my running results. When I started running more consistently some years ago I was running almost every run at a hard effort thinking I would get faster. Only once I started running slower on most runs and incorporating interval or hill repeat sessions (quality sessions) in one or two sessions a week did I see decent improvements. My easy pace has now become faster over the years.

As for running and cycling. I have seriously neglected the bike part but did find that hopping on a bike for Amashova a few years back with only 2 or 3 short training rides before, it was surprisingly easy. Running definitely helps the cycling.

As there is no swimming at the moment, so I am currently cycling and running lots.  Cycle and run HIIT workouts on a Tues and Thurs, Wed is a recovery run and spin, very slow and very easy for both.  Saturday LSD ride and Sunday LSD run.  

Until you have a certain level of fitness in your running, you will see it effect your cycling, due to being generally fatigued, once the fitness is there you should be able to improve you cycling.

As other's have said, you need some structure with running and not just running all at the same pace. Start slow, build in intervals and hill repeats to build muscle power.  Some days running really slow because you are tired is not a bad thing.  Not every run has to be chasing PB's.

Eventually running and cycling should compliment one another.

My Asics Gel Flux 4s are about o hit the 2000km mark so I guess it's time to dig into the piggy bank.

What's the best bet for online at good prices? (edit: physical stores are also good if in Jhb northern suburbs).

Totalsports has deals but unfortunately nothing in the size I need.

Edited by Lotus

My Asics Gel Flux 4s are about o hit the 2000km mark so I guess it's time to dig into the piggy bank.

What's the best bet for online at good prices? (edit: physical stores are also good if in Jhb northern suburbs).

Great sale. Not much sizes left though.

https://za.puma.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=SUTAMINA

NONE!! Absolutely loving them thanks.

My fiance got herself a pair of Gel Nimbus 22's from the same shop. 

Great to hear 

Best prices in the country... https://www.poobienaidoos.co.za/

If I may ask a question from the knowers?

I'm currently running around 18 km a week. 2*5k during the week and an 8k on the weekend. I know that's mikey mouse. The running really really takes it out of me but I am loving it and I have no intention of stopping.

My concern is around my cycling. I do a bit of IDT work on Zwift during the week. What I've done is drop my FTP on zwift for my workouts so I'm effectively training at a lower intensity in Zwift. My HR still gets into the red but I'm not killing myself.

Do you peeps think I'm negatively affecting my cycling by doing this? Am I wasting my time? Should I just can the IDT sessions? I really can't see myself training any harder at this point and I'm happy to be in a maintenance phase with the cycling at the moment.

This is funny. I've been debating the exact opposite!

Now that I've recently rediscovered cycling, I'm going to lose a day or two a week to it, and I've been worrying how my running will react.