ScottCM

For TrainingPeaks, you have to buy WKO5 if you want the power curve, it will record the info but only for pulling through to WKO5 which is their analysis software.

Strava does not record running power, however, there are rumours that they are about to at some point soon.  If they do, then with the help of David at Intervals.icu, we might be able to get a running power distribution curve.

Currently if you want that power curve, then you either going to have to generate it via a spreadsheet and graphs or use Golden Cheetah

Some feedback regarding who is utilising what....

After some editing gymnastics in GC to move the EstimatedRunningPower data over to the Power data column, I push the activity again to Strava. Strava doesn't show the data, but when viewing on intervals.icu, you clearly see the Power data showing up.

So it seems Strava is taking the data and making it available to sites like intervals.icu. I think you are very right in that they will soon be doing stuff with that data, but you will likely need a Premium subscription for that...

If David can filter for activity type we can get separate Power curves for running and cycling on intervals.ice.

Currently the filtering on GC works very nicely and my running power CP graph is taking shape without any effect on the cycling CP graph.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After some editing gymnastics in GC to move the EstimatedRunningPower data over to the Power data column, I push the activity again to Strava. Strava doesn't show the data, but when viewing on intervals.icu, you clearly see the Power data showing up.

So it seems Strava is taking the data and making it available to sites like intervals.icu. I think you are very right in that they will soon be doing stuff with that data, but you will likely need a Premium subscription for that...

If David can filter for activity type we can get separate Power curves for running and cycling on intervals.ice.

Currently the filtering on GC works very nicely and my running power CP graph is taking shape without any effect on the cycling CP graph.

If you are using STRYD then there own analysis platform PowerCentre uses a Power Duration Curve which was broadly based on the GC system

Implementation of a Power Duration curve has been asked for on Intervals.icu forum https://forum.intervals.icu/t/running-power-ftp/535/25

If I may ask a question from the knowers?

I'm currently running around 18 km a week. 2*5k during the week and an 8k on the weekend. I know that's mikey mouse. The running really really takes it out of me but I am loving it and I have no intention of stopping.

My concern is around my cycling. I do a bit of IDT work on Zwift during the week. What I've done is drop my FTP on zwift for my workouts so I'm effectively training at a lower intensity in Zwift. My HR still gets into the red but I'm not killing myself.

Do you peeps think I'm negatively affecting my cycling by doing this? Am I wasting my time? Should I just can the IDT sessions? I really can't see myself training any harder at this point and I'm happy to be in a maintenance phase with the cycling at the moment.

You could probably download a nice Standard Distance Duathlon program off the Internet if you do a search - that will cover all the bases if you are worried. But a good routine could be Bike Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday.  Run Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.  Monday Rest. 

But I wouldn't stress - as my Wife mentions to all her Athletes who are also worried about this lockdown no-racing phase - you are still doing the Aerobic work - whether you run or cycle, so you won't be losing fitness.  You might lose a bit of speed in either discipline (depending which one you favour in training) but that will come back pretty quickly as soon as racing starts again.

I'm actually loving this break - just ticking along, doing nice low intensity stuff and building a solid base for 2021.

Did a longish run today in the countryside and had to have my phone with me (normally never run with it) and could not help to stop and take a few pics.... maybe the steep hills encouraged the stopping for pictures

I know most of our runs are usually close to home and don’t take us to places like our bikes..... but isn’t it time we had a “where did your running shoes take you thread...”?

Did a longish run today in the countryside and had to have my phone with me (normally never run with it) and could not help to stop and take a few pics.... maybe the steep hills encouraged the stopping for pictures

I know most of our runs are usually close to home and don’t take us to places like our bikes..... but isn’t it time we had a “where did your running shoes take you thread...”?

Definitely! Great idea. I did the gone2gone 'race' this past weekend. CBD to constantia following a route over Table Mountain. Sometimes your running shoes do take you places!

Anyone elso doing this 'event'?

I saw a post earlier from Comrades saying that they will be arranging delivery of t-shirts and goodie bags for the 2020 race between 14 and 31 July in bulk to the various running clubs. Then clubs will get hold of their runners. Makes complete sense to me rather than sending individually. I have however just seen the post has been removed?

At Dublin marathon last year.. The 3:10 bus caught up with me in the last 3 miles and I held on for dear life to try join them home... For 1.5 miles I ran behind the balloon guy who had somewhere on route had an accident and now there was a long dried crusty streak running down his leg.... That's commitment to the bus!

Sheesh you supreme athletes are just as siff and funny as the rest. This is more entertaining than the Covid thread. So a question, for a friend. If you wear long socks does that mean that you are prepared for an entire day?

Sheesh you supreme athletes are just as siff and funny as the rest. This is more entertaining than the Covid thread. So a question, for a friend. If you wear long socks does that mean that you are prepared for an entire day?

Ha ha

Im going through a Hoka phase - Cliftons for road long runs and ATR for longer trails.

I like how they ride, but have doubts about durability. The Cliftons have 400km on now, and feel a bit less bouncy compared to new. (It could be my imagination)

Edited by Christie

First time venturing into this thread as I've very recently started running as the universe coalesced it into my life more than me actually wanting to start doing it. Up until a week ago I firmly maintained "why run when humanity has figured out a much more efficient mode of transport called riding a bike?!?". I had tried running for a handful of weeks 6 years ago to lose some weight, but that initiative died a quick and silent death.

Somehow within the last two weeks I was given an old disused Maxed treadmill and bought a Garmin 735XT, which is primarily a running watch (even though I bought it as the cheapest sturdy navigation watch I could find for MTB). With it being two new toys that complimented each other I tried a 5K on the treadmill and ran for ~32 min. My buddy that runs at work told me that's a fair time, but I should try an outdoor run to get the watch calibrated and improve its accuracy.

So I went out this morning for an outdoor 5K in my complex and did a 28:54. I used my cycling HR gauge to manage my pace and ran consistently in my lower Z4 range, increasing it to upper Z4 at the end of the run.

Now, quite surprisingly, I actually enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. Its a lot quicker and a lot less schlep than going out for a ride (in winter at least), and seems to give me a pretty decent workout in a much shorter time than a ride would. While I don't see it becoming my primary activity, I'm excited by the prospect of its shorter duration allowing me to get more than two or three activities a week in. 

Now that I have more of an appreciation for it, if you've completed a Comrades, I consider you a ******* beast.

Im going through a Hoka phase - Cliftons for road long runs and ATR for longer trails.

I like how they ride, but have doubts about durability. The Cliftons have 400km on now, and feel a bit less bouncy compared to new. (It could be my imagination)

I never got more than 450/500km out of the three pairs of trail shoes I bought.

Aonijie Moderate Gale 2.5L Hydration Pack available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/aonijie-moderate-gale-2-5l-hydration-pack/PLID56261841

About to pull the trigger on this vest. Anybody have experience with them? Must be honest, I would rather spend the R700 instead of the R2000-R3000 on the Salomons. Fitted it at the Run store in Bellville and spotted it for R300 less on Takealot.

I never got more than 450/500km out of the three pairs of trail shoes I bought.

I get a similar mileage, probably 500 to 600km. I'm currently using new balance hierro v5, got them in November 2019 and probably got a month left. Very happy with them and 9 months for a pair of trail shoes for me is really good!

I get a similar mileage, probably 500 to 600km. I'm currently using new balance hierro v5, got them in November 2019 and probably got a month left. Very happy with them and 9 months for a pair of trail shoes for me is really good!

I've been looking at these to try, if only they had my size...

Also new Nike trail 2 are dropping soon, keen to give those a go