ScottCM

Very true words. But unfortunately social distancing is only practice by a very small part of the country. Local townships doesn't practice or adhere to any social distancing or rules. They do as they please.. When its SASSA Payouts, it's even worse. 

No arguments there, we know we have many in our society so much worse off and vulnerable than most of us here on the hub. Them not being able to quarantine, practice social distancing etc, doesn't mean that those of us who can, shouldn't...

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No arguments there, we know we have many in our society so much worse off and vulnerable than most of us here on the hub. Them not being able to quarantine, practice social distancing etc, doesn't mean that those of us who can, shouldn't...

Yes, and that's why i'm spending my 40th bday next month at home, alone with just the wife and kid. No Spitbraai or lekker kuier in Mozambique. :( 

Yes, and that's why i'm spending my 40th bday next month at home, alone with just the wife and kid. No Spitbraai or lekker kuier in Mozambique. :(

That is unfortunate... have a friend who's whole wedding got binned, it really is just a rough reality for so many. 

Hopefully you can still go next year, and I'm sure when we can all get back to doing 'normal' things like that, we're going to appreciate the *** out of them. We will have the gift of appreciating our lives a bit more... just need to survive til then  :blush:  :thumbup:

+1

Must say it is sad to see how many ambassadors/athletes are setting really bad examples, travelling all over the country for holidays to run with friends, group runs and coffee posts sans masks. Coaches advertising their services posting pictures of speed/hill sessions with their "athletes" all posing together without masks for pics...

Entered the Boston virtual. At least I've got something to work towards in September. Not gonna be anything fast...a nice easy 4 hour marathon is the plan... But at least a goal.

Why shouldn't it be fast?

Our coach had us all chasing pb's at various distances. It gives you a nice goal to chase without the chance of the event being cancelled. You can do it on your own route own day.

For me it was great to have short and mid term goals set. I have hammered both 5 and 10km pb's, it is good to have something positive and something to focus on.

Why shouldn't it be fast?

Our coach had us all chasing pb's at various distances. It gives you a nice goal to chase without the chance of the event being cancelled. You can do it on your own route own day.

For me it was great to have short and mid term goals set. I have hammered both 5 and 10km pb's, it is good to have something positive and something to focus on.

I guess I got a bit deflated after being 9 weeks into the actual Boston training when it was cancelled. Was the fittest I've ever been. I'm definitely not going to be at pb level in 6 weeks. I've decided to take it easy this year and just tick over

I was getting lekker up to speed with my running pace and distance and then lockdown lvl 5 hit... Was in my running shoes come 1st of May and was determined to bounce back strong, which to me I did. Felt on top of the world. But due to my occupation I had to be at work during this pandemic - couple of positive cases popped up but by the time I self isolated last week the damn covid19 already found a cozy spot in my body. I'm extremely thankful I'm in no immediate danger but the heavy pressure on my chest and the constant shortness of breath and fatigue makes me wonder how badly my fitness is suffering, what my first run will be like afterwards and how long this will take. And I feel betrayed by my body for not being asymptomatic...

Aonijie Moderate Gale 2.5L Hydration Pack available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/aonijie-moderate-gale-2-5l-hydration-pack/PLID56261841

About to pull the trigger on this vest. Anybody have experience with them? Must be honest, I would rather spend the R700 instead of the R2000-R3000 on the Salomons. Fitted it at the Run store in Bellville and spotted it for R300 less on Takealot.

Not sure if you've bought yet?

This is double what you were looking at spending but saw it and thought I'd share anyway

https://thesavage.biz/collections/other-post-lock-down-beauties/products/ultra-vest-4-0

And this is another option closer to your budget

https://thesavage.biz/collections/other-post-lock-down-beauties/products/ultraspire-spy

Edited by travisza

Not sure if you've bought yet?

This is double what you were looking at spending but saw it and thought I'd share anyway

https://thesavage.biz/collections/other-post-lock-down-beauties/products/ultra-vest-4-0

Ultraspire only a couple hundred more

https://thesavage.biz/collections/other-post-lock-down-beauties/products/ultraspire-spy

I have pulled the trigger on the Aonijie yes. Have taken it for a run and as I told the wife it is good enough for road running but will probably end up buying another better suited for the trails. Ok I didn’t tell the wife that as she would undoubtedly point to the cupboard full of belts/backpacks/bottels that were good enough for the road/trail/etc [emoji2363]. Thanks for the link [emoji1474]

I was getting lekker up to speed with my running pace and distance and then lockdown lvl 5 hit... Was in my running shoes come 1st of May and was determined to bounce back strong, which to me I did. Felt on top of the world. But due to my occupation I had to be at work during this pandemic - couple of positive cases popped up but by the time I self isolated last week the damn covid19 already found a cozy spot in my body. I'm extremely thankful I'm in no immediate danger but the heavy pressure on my chest and the constant shortness of breath and fatigue makes me wonder how badly my fitness is suffering, what my first run will be like afterwards and how long this will take. And I feel betrayed by my body for not being asymptomatic...

Eish, good luck with the recovery, it took me months to get my resting and running heart rates down after pneumonia last year, good luck with the recovery, take it easy. Aren't you glad you started with a good set of lungs...

Speedy recovery  :thumbup:

Friend got it, well their whole household got it.  6 weeks later her lungs are still not clear .... and this from somebody that took part in weekly sports.

Some are lucky, and hardly notice it, other really take a beating ....  HOPE you are one of the lucky ones

I have pulled the trigger on the Aonijie yes. Have taken it for a run and as I told the wife it is good enough for road running but will probably end up buying another better suited for the trails. Ok I didn’t tell the wife that as she would undoubtedly point to the cupboard full of belts/backpacks/bottels that were good enough for the road/trail/etc [emoji2363]. Thanks for the link [emoji1474]

As a matter of interest, why is it not suited for trails? 

As a matter of interest, why is it not suited for trails?

I’ll start off by saying that I haven’t tried it on the trails yet. In terms of comfort I found it to be exactly what I hoped for. It easily took my soft flasks and none of the jiggling and movement I had with the backpack. However, the compartments at the back are inaccessible to me without having to stop and take the vest off to access it. That in itself isn’t a deal breaker as I can theoretically stow everything I would need to access in a hurry in front. The issue though is that none of the pockets have drawstrings but are instead elasticated. I would feel really uncomfortable stashing a phone in there and having to worry about it popping out unnoticed. Also once the elastic starts wearing I don’t know if it would hold my bottels securely?

Like I said I would use it for my 30km long runs on the road with no issues. I would hesitate taking it out on the trails and having to worry about losing my phone or keys. Might have to strap one of the other belts for the sole purpose of carrying my car keys and phone.

I’ll start off by saying that I haven’t tried it on the trails yet. In terms of comfort I found it to be exactly what I hoped for. It easily took my soft flasks and none of the jiggling and movement I had with the backpack. However, the compartments at the back are inaccessible to me without having to stop and take the vest off to access it. That in itself isn’t a deal breaker as I can theoretically stow everything I would need to access in a hurry in front. The issue though is that none of the pockets have drawstrings but are instead elasticated. I would feel really uncomfortable stashing a phone in there and having to worry about it popping out unnoticed. Also once the elastic starts wearing I don’t know if it would hold my bottels securely?

Like I said I would use it for my 30km long runs on the road with no issues. I would hesitate taking it out on the trails and having to worry about losing my phone or keys. Might have to strap one of the other belts for the sole purpose of carrying my car keys and phone.

I put my phone in the same compartment as the soft bottle. I find I can pretty easily get my phone in and positioned closer to my body and then the bottle "on the outside".

Very secure, no way the phone is coming out but easy to hand.

My model is slightly different to yours though (WithWind 5L)

I put my phone in the same compartment as the soft bottle. I find I can pretty easily get my phone in and positioned closer to my body and then the bottle "on the outside".

Very secure, no way the phone is coming out but easy to hand.

My model is slightly different to yours though (WithWind 5L)

I had the unfortunate incident with last years Three Peaks that my phone popped out of the pouch on my pack and shattered the screen. Hence me being quite worried about it. Luckily I don’t need it on the road that much but on the trails definitely.

Will try your suggestion and see how it goes.