ScottCM

Sorry, I only see again now you got the 2.5L.    That is why I shared the withwind 10L that was on special as well and also recommended the withwind 5L.  They have a dedicated phone pocket with a zip and does not have the issues you listed now.    

I’ll start off by saying that I haven’t tried it on the trails yet.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Running Power Estimator App:

I agree with others that calling this "Power" might not be the most accurate description. Cycling with power for a number of years, this feels more like a variant of Grade Adjusted Pace or Level Of Effort.

Regardless, it is a wonderful tool. I did a 10k test to see what it feels like to stick to a certain wattage. It was a very pleasant experience to be completely honest.

What struck me was seeing afterwards that my 1km splits had Ave HR figures that were within one BPM of each other. Which tells me the App does what it is intended to do, it evens out my effort. I knew that I didn't need to attack the hills like I used to, and at the same time I could speed up on the dowhills without being concerned that I'm cooking myself.

I came within 1min of my PB on that specific loop, without even really trying too hard.

A whole new world has been opened up for me.

Did you ever try the Gradient Adjusted Pace app on GarminIQ? Just found it this morning and wondering how accurate it will be...running again on Friday so will test it out then to see what kind of readings it gives.

Did you ever try the Gradient Adjusted Pace app on GarminIQ? Just found it this morning and wondering how accurate it will be...running again on Friday so will test it out then to see what kind of readings it gives.

Never tried it, no. But I would expect it to give you the same level of Effort Gauge to ensure you keep the work rate at an even level throughout.

The Power placeholder is just a convenient metric for which the online tools already exist to keep track of, which makes it nice.

Saying that, I have to concur with others about running without metrics, it is way more enjoyable.

But I do think there is a balance to be found where you can do targeted workouts with power in the week to maximise your gains for a given session, and then on weekends you "just run" and listen to your body.

I am still inclined to attack any uphill too hard, which needs to be kept in check, so I glance at my watch when climbing to make sure I am not too ambitious.

question time.

I do most of my shuffling early in the morning. I've zip tied a light to my little hydration pack but I see I can get a gopro shoulder mount (my light uses a gopro fitting)

Do any of you run with lights? Looking for something that doesn't go onto my head.

question time.

I do most of my shuffling early in the morning. I've zip tied a light to my little hydration pack but I see I can get a gopro shoulder mount (my light uses a gopro fitting)

Do any of you run with lights? Looking for something that doesn't go onto my head.

I just use a head lamp, but a decent one (nitecore hc60) and it works great. I've seen people with essentially a head touch but on a waist strap and that seems to work OK.

question time.

In winter I use a headlamp, they are actually quite comfortable and some of them can be tilted to adjust the range. I prefer the headlamp because it’s always shining we’re you look whereas a chest or shoulder attached one only shines forwards. There is one disadvantage to the head strap version... just don’t look directly someone with it on... ????

question time.

Every single run I do during the week involves leaving while its still dark. I wear a light 100% of the time. Petzel headlamp.

Two reasons for me:

(1) its actually really hard for an oncoming car to see you without a light, especially if there is a car coming in the opposite direction

(2) there are lots of uneven parts of the roads I run on. I would have done a couple ankles for sure without a light.

Edited: Sorry, realise you were looking for something other than a headlamp...nothing to add there. Not sure why you don't want a headlamp? If its comfort then I'll say that I dont even notice mine anymore. When I had a cheaper one it wasn't as comfortable but the one I have at the moment is perfect.

Edited by travisza

Every single run I do during the week involves leaving while its still dark. I wear a light 100% of the time. Petzel headlamp.

Two reasons for me:

(1) its actually really hard for an oncoming car to see you without a light, especially if there is a car coming in the opposite direction

(2) there are lots of uneven parts of the roads I run on. I would have done a couple ankles for sure without a light.

Edited: Sorry, realise you were looking for something other than a headlamp...nothing to add there. Not sure why you don't want a headlamp? If its comfort then I'll say that I dont even notice mine anymore. When I had a cheaper one it wasn't as comfortable but the one I have at the moment is perfect.

Thanks.

I've not used a headlamp before so this is helpful. I guess I'm going to have to sort out a headlamp or 2. The reason I'm angling towards the gopro shoulder mount is coz our cycling lights are gopro mount compatible.

Pretty much all of our runs at least start in the dark.

Don't laugh. Currently I'm zip tying a 500 lumen light to the shoulder strap of a small hydration pack. I also put my rear light from my bike on my pack.

Thanks.

I've not used a headlamp before so this is helpful. I guess I'm going to have to sort out a headlamp or 2. The reason I'm angling towards the gopro shoulder mount is coz our cycling lights are gopro mount compatible.

Pretty much all of our runs at least start in the dark.

Don't laugh. Currently I'm zip tying a 500 lumen light to the shoulder strap of a small hydration pack. I also put my rear light from my bike on my pack.

No laughing at all. I'd definitely rather find a way to use the lights I have rather than running without one

If I go out in the dark (running or riding), I’ll wear a hi-viz vest. I had a few people tell me they can see it much better than a head lamp, as it’s visible from quite far.

As for the potholes... bike has a light, but running I am fairly fortunate that the subway suburb runs are well lit.

edit: correct the "incorrectly autocorrected text" on phone.

Edited by Frosty

We try to route it that the out run is on lit roads and on the way back there should be enough light to see. Unfortunately the amount of non functioning lights in the area is rising at an alarming rate. We are also routinely getting out earlier (around 6.30) at the moment which means our runs are almost entirely in the dark. I guess headlamps are going on the shopping list.

I have to say. Riding in the dark I DO NOT ENJOY AT ALL. I feel super vulnerable. Even with 1600 lumens on the front of my bike and a rear light that lights up more than a brothel. Running in the dark feels fine and being out at that time of day really is incredible.

We try to route it that the out run is on lit roads and on the way back there should be enough light to see. Unfortunately the amount of non functioning lights in the area is rising at an alarming rate. We are also routinely getting out earlier (around 6.30) at the moment which means our runs are almost entirely in the dark. I guess headlamps are going on the shopping list.

I have to say. Riding in the dark I DO NOT ENJOY AT ALL. I feel super vulnerable. Even with 1600 lumens on the front of my bike and a rear light that lights up more than a brothel. Running in the dark feels fine and being out at that time of day really is incredible.

Advantage of running is (1) you are slower so more time to react to anything in the road you need to avoid and (2) oncoming cars are on your side so its also easy to see if you need to quickly step onto the sidewalk or move further to the side if it looks like the car is going to be close. I love running in the dark...cycling I'm definitely more nervous.

If you are going to try headlamps, I chose mine as it had the strap atop your head, so it doesn't slide down. Something to consider.

That's weird, I actually feel safer in the dark on my bike compared to in the day, the lights actually work properly and are much more visible, I've confirmed this while driving and seeing other cyclists ride with lights on.

The main downside is higher probability of drunken fools driving around in the early hours of the morning.

Nothing better than seeing the sun come up on a run. I use a head mounted light as well, cheapie that I bought years back and just never got to upgrading. Does the job well enough as you only need it for an hour maximum in winter. Also despite the obvious advantage of not twisting an ankle on a run the far bigger advantage is that cars and cyclist spot you much earlier.

Nothing better than seeing the sun come up on a run. I use a head mounted light as well, cheapie that I bought years back and just never got to upgrading. Does the job well enough as you only need it for an hour maximum in winter. Also despite the obvious advantage of not twisting an ankle on a run the far bigger advantage is that cars and cyclist spot you much earlier.

This was from my run on Saturday with a fast approaching cold front. Encountered some sleet rain halfway in.

post-734-0-31942700-1594882351_thumb.jpg