- Inov-8

Anything else?

2 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Asking for a friend...

What are the South African running clothing brands? I can think of
- First Ascent
- Inov-8

Anything else?

I'm relatively certain Inov-8 is a UK brand? Happy to be proved wrong though.

3 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Asking for a friend...

- First Ascent
- Inov-8

Anything else?

CapeStorm

Bold Gear

16 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Asking for a friend...

- First Ascent
- Inov-8

Anything else?

inov-8 most definitely not local.

as far as shoes go, well

you can probably count mr price maxed

olympic have just relaunched

but then if you're getting serious, this is the one - https://pivotandrun.co.za/

16 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Asking for a friend...

- First Ascent
- Inov-8

Anything else?

Boldgear. Popular around Cape Town, but definitely not a big brand....yet. They have been doing branding for quite a few big trail running events around here.

K-way also has trail running gear.

Mr Price is mostly made in China (correct me if I'm wrong) so it doesn't count.

Haven’t had much chance to get back on this thread. 
Well done to all those who took on Comrades and achieved your goals or had a tough day out but still took a lot out of the event. Every single person that commits to the training and lines up inspires me. 
The August date wasn’t too terrible I thought but would quite like it being in June. Living in the northern hemisphere though the August date definitely makes training that much easier. For those who complain about training in winter I smile sometimes. Not quite as unpleasant and challenging as trying to train through European winter (indeed dodging potholes in the dark in SA is risky business),  believe me. 
The earlier sunrise and later sunset in August definitely helps, but the potential for a very warm day in August is always there. 
I do believe the aim is for June again. And a Down run again. This to get back into the pattern for a Down run 100th run in a few years. The August date this year was to try make it as late as possible to hopefully be clear of anything covid related potentially cancelling the event yet again. The ongoing roadworks and need for very expensive lighting that would have been needed in the earlier stages for a darker June run also played a role. 

How did everyone go?? I had a goal of silver and chuffed to get it with decent margin. Was definitely concerned how the legs would hold up to the hills given predominantly very flat training in the Netherlands and other flat European countries. Could run the downs okay in the latter stages. 

6 hours ago, b-rad said:

Haven’t had much chance to get back on this thread. 
Well done to all those who took on Comrades and achieved your goals or had a tough day out but still took a lot out of the event. Every single person that commits to the training and lines up inspires me. 
The August date wasn’t too terrible I thought but would quite like it being in June. Living in the northern hemisphere though the August date definitely makes training that much easier. For those who complain about training in winter I smile sometimes. Not quite as unpleasant and challenging as trying to train through European winter (indeed dodging potholes in the dark in SA is risky business),  believe me. 
The earlier sunrise and later sunset in August definitely helps, but the potential for a very warm day in August is always there. 
I do believe the aim is for June again. And a Down run again. This to get back into the pattern for a Down run 100th run in a few years. The August date this year was to try make it as late as possible to hopefully be clear of anything covid related potentially cancelling the event yet again. The ongoing roadworks and need for very expensive lighting that would have been needed in the earlier stages for a darker June run also played a role. 

How did everyone go?? I had a goal of silver and chuffed to get it with decent margin. Was definitely concerned how the legs would hold up to the hills given predominantly very flat training in the Netherlands and other flat European countries. Could run the downs okay in the latter stages. 

Congrats and well done for the silver🥈 that’s damn impressive

Hey guys, I recently got a new pair of trail shoes to do some mountain runs once or twice a month.

More specifically Cecillia Forest and surroundings on a Saturday morning. I know safety is a bit of concern, so probably not ideal to run alone.

Is there perhaps a group that I can join?

Otter Challenge

Hi All - a bit of a plug here for my ad in the classifieds.  Due to a back problem, I can't use my Otter Challenge trail entries for 5/6 October.  I've got two entries and the organisers have confirmed that I can arrange someone to swap the entries to.  Please reach out to me if you or anyone you know is keen.  Am a bit gutted as it's meant to be amazing and this is the first year I was able to get an entry before it sold out.  

Hey Guys looking for a new neutral tempo / race shoe recommendation (5km-10km, max a 21km but maybe once every 6 months). I currently use the following 

Asics Gel Nimbus 23 (for long runs - with inners)

Asics Gel DS Trainer 24 (tempo runs - no inner)

Nike Pegasus 23 (Gym and casual runs - no inner)

Budget is around R 2 000 and I prefer Nike or Asics but open to suggestions. Will probably buy from a factory shop / previous generation to get around budget.

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

Hey Guys looking for a new neutral tempo / race shoe recommendation (5km-10km, max a 21km but maybe once every 6 months). I currently use the following 

Budget is around R 2 000 and I prefer Nike or Asics but open to suggestions. Will probably buy from a factory shop / previous generation to get around budget.

Thanks 

Have a look at the Hoka's.  I was pleasantly surprised by their stability shoe (Arahi 6).

On 9/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, Andrew_Smith said:

Hey guys, I recently got a new pair of trail shoes to do some mountain runs once or twice a month.

More specifically Cecillia Forest and surroundings on a Saturday morning. I know safety is a bit of concern, so probably not ideal to run alone.

Is there perhaps a group that I can join?

Hey Andrew

Did you ever come right?

If I can offer my 2c having run alone extensively on the mountain for many many years.

Avoid Cecilia and rather go from the Nek car park. From there you can head straight up the jeep track onto the contour path or up the road/Single track to the dams. This open up loops back to the car up/down Nursery, Rooikay ravine, Skeleton and other options, or a loop up to and around the dams and back.

All depending on how long you want to go.

It's always busy and probably one of the safest pieces of mountain.

I'm slowly recovering from being out, but you are welcome to PM me and perhaps we can meet up and I can show you a loop or two, albeit slowly for now.

2 hours ago, Zama7 said:

Thanks 

Maybe give the Saucony Endorphin Speed a try. The Endorphin Speeds have a nylon plate (not carbon). 
You might also be able to pick up the Saucony Endorphin Pro (carbon plate) on special. 

57 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Hey Andrew

Did you ever come right?

If I can offer my 2c having run alone extensively on the mountain for many many years.

Avoid Cecilia and rather go from the Nek car park. From there you can head straight up the jeep track onto the contour path or up the road/Single track to the dams. This open up loops back to the car up/down Nursery, Rooikay ravine, Skeleton and other options, or a loop up to and around the dams and back.

All depending on how long you want to go.

It's always busy and probably one of the safest pieces of mountain.

I'm slowly recovering from being out, but you are welcome to PM me and perhaps we can meet up and I can show you a loop or two, albeit slowly for now.

Hey Jewbacca,

Yes, I stumbled across the Durbanville AC Trail group and bumped into an old friend of mine in the process which is great.

I am still relatively new to trail running, but I already love it. I've got the Saucony Peregrine 12 to help with the runs, and I'll use the Triumph 19 to switch up with road running.

This is quite a major shift and adjustment for me coming from cycling, which I used to do, and it was a complete fitness wake-up call for me.

I'm eager to improve my fitness in the upcoming months.