ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Over two months since the last post, what has happened to all the runners? I was sure that we would see some posts about Soweto or, Kaapsehoop

Basically: sick, holiday and winter but planning a comeback 😁

Some might say sick, lame and lazy

I would like to think that there is no longer a problem, CoVid made all issues seem like a non-entity. I really miss the way this thread used to entertain us. I no longer enter events, I just do my training and monitor everyone's progress.

Started out pretty good, slowly but surely building up the mileage again. But then I got a bad case of Influenza in October. (I personally thought it was Covid). Since then, I struggled to run a 5km without walking. Feels like my lungs are only working at 50% capacity when running. 

I've also been sidelined since March after having Viral Meningitis and nearly dying.

3 lumbar punctures, 7 days in ICU and a fairly lengthy recovery process this year has seen me tentatively put my shoes on again recently.

I can't put the body under stress, so I've managed a few slow, easy 5km trail runs with the dog. 

Been a rough year, but things are healing and coming on nicely. I still have some quite serious vision issues in my left eye where the swelling of the brain pushed against the optic nerve, but it's getting better slowly. 

Hoping to be back running freely and fit by this time next year!

On 9/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, dave303e said:

I might have just picked these up and depending on size they are going for a steal

Adizero Takumi Sen 8 Shoes (adidas.co.za)

And yes now I own road race shoes and the nearest tar is 8km away...

Takumi Sen 8 is a great shoe - Ive done 130km in mine, use it for interval and speed workouts and also shorter races like the mile, and on track for 1500m and 5000m events. It is a light, fast shoe. Possible down side: tongue is very thin, may not suit every runner's preferance. The fit is also very tight on the sides and around the heel, I only use thin socks with mine  (try on  before you buy.)

It may be a bit firm for a 21km, but that depends on the runner.

Another option would be the Nike Next%, similar racy feel, I find the Nike effective over a wider distance range, ride feels more plush.

It has been a very, very long time since I lasted posted on this thread. I have not done a lot of races these past 2/3 years - been struggling massively with my left knee for quite some time and finally got it fixed in August. So I'm slowly building up again, but hopefully will run a marathon or 2 in the next year. We are moving as well, so I will find out later it will be more trail or more road next year....

5 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Had my first run in the snow on the weekend. Was quite an experience.  Loved every min 

20221211_092216.jpg

20221211_095818.jpg

There is always one.... who runs in shorts during freezing temperatures, this one takes the cake though with the T-shirt only as well. His skin is going to be bright red quickly 😁

On 12/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, dave303e said:

I had a similar thought about how quiet it was the other day.

UTCT seemed a big hit this year with a new 100miler.

If you want to do the UTCT without the big entry cost all the route markings are still out on the pavements. Quite smart by doing it all in permanent spraypaint, super environmentally friendly as they won't need to redo them next year!

15 hours ago, Shebeen said:

If you want to do the UTCT without the big entry cost all the route markings are still out on the pavements. Quite smart by doing it all in permanent spraypaint, super environmentally friendly as they won't need to redo them next year!

but did you actually do utct if you haven't posted on social media about it at least twice a day since the race?

Year started okay. Training more for triathlons than running. Then in August went on a cruise and ended up running more than cycling or swimming. Came home with shin splints. Rested a while, saw a bio and then was told to go for an easy run. Hello, stress fracture. Only getting back t running now - 20 minutes at very slow pace. So frustrating. At least my swimming has improved 200%

• 1 month later...