ScottCM

3 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Toying with the idea of attempting comrades in 2024. A quick question for the more knowledgeable than I. For the qualification martthon, is there a list of sanctioned marathons where one can qualify or is any timed organised marathon accepted? ( for international runners) 

My wife has done 2 while living in Switzerland.

If you have a valid SA ID document and join a local SA running club it’s quite easy and cheap….even if you are resident overseas. She renewed here old club membership in SA and had an official South African cloth running number.

If you register as a non SA citizen then you pay the international price $$$$$$$$$$

You can use any official sanctioned marathon as a qualifier (wifey used Zurich and Valencia), make sure you submit your finishing time and not your actual moving time (moving time at some international marafuns can be substantially longer and negatively affect your comrades starting position) 

I’d love to give it a go as well, sadly my feet won’t handle those kind of distances…. Struggling with them just to train for a 21k

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/18/2023 at 3:19 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Toying with the idea of attempting comrades in 2024. A quick question for the more knowledgeable than I. For the qualification martthon, is there a list of sanctioned marathons where one can qualify or is any timed organised marathon accepted? ( for international runners) 

Any full ironman is a qualifier as long as you complete it. #Justsaying 

10 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

Any full ironman is a qualifier as long as you complete it. #Justsaying 

Get thee behind me satan. 

2025 I reckon I will do another Ironman. As a 60th pressie to myself. Just not decided which one yet. 

26 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Get thee behind me satan. 

2025 I reckon I will do another Ironman. As a 60th pressie to myself. Just not decided which one yet. 

Best one I ever did was IM Wales..... It's hilly compared to pretty much all others, which is why I enjoyed it.

Highly recommend the entire experience if you're Europe based

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Best one I ever did was IM Wales..... It's hilly compared to pretty much all others, which is why I enjoyed it.

Highly recommend the entire experience if you're Europe based

IM Wales is on my radar as it’s close to me and means no shipping bicycle on airplanes etc. and I am now beginning to enjoy suffering* so the hills lure me.

* somewhere along my ‘active’ journey in life I crossed over into the dark side in that I now actually enjoy suffering. Like self flagellation 😂. Like finding peace, solace and satisfaction. But maybe that’s a whole new discussion. Any psychiatrists around ? 😂

8 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

IM Wales is on my radar as it’s close to me and means no shipping bicycle on airplanes etc. and I am now beginning to enjoy suffering* so the hills lure me.

* somewhere along my ‘active’ journey in life I crossed over into the dark side in that I now actually enjoy suffering. Like self flagellation 😂. Like finding peace, solace and satisfaction. But maybe that’s a whole new discussion. Any psychiatrists around ? 😂

hahahahahaha there is something in that. Some say suffering, some say fun!

• 4 weeks later...

My first marathon is hopefully coming up 15 Oct - the very flat Cpt Sanlam. Been training for 18 weeks, started off beyond unfit to 30km on my long run feeling kinda good. My speed is internet explorer on dial up slow but I'm happy with that. My last long run (the 30k) was 2 Sept and due to personal problems and work schedules I only did 5 short runs the last 2 weeks, missing my 2 most crucial long runs. My question for the seasoned runners - is 770km base km's over 22 weeks going to be enough; have I unavoidably already started tapering beyond salvation; can 2 weeks of slacking iow 50km vs the goal of 95km make or break my fitness? Was at the physio today to sort out my stress spasms and she slapped me on the back saying to keep faith, don't try and make up for the missed runs and make the call closer to the race, depending what my runs add up to this last 3 weeks. My poor husband is gatvol hearing running complaints and advise me to rather get back on the mtb or stick to trail running.

My 2c and unprofessional opinion.

I have done less and furnished a 100 miler. It was not pretty but I have that belt buckle and cherish it. I took my mind to many dark places that day and the finish time was not something to be proud of. If you just want to finish, you will be ok. Just be ready for a long really tough day out...

13 minutes ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

My first marathon is hopefully coming up 15 Oct - the very flat Cpt Sanlam. Been training for 18 weeks, started off beyond unfit to 30km on my long run feeling kinda good. My speed is internet explorer on dial up slow but I'm happy with that. My last long run (the 30k) was 2 Sept and due to personal problems and work schedules I only did 5 short runs the last 2 weeks, missing my 2 most crucial long runs. My question for the seasoned runners - is 770km base km's over 22 weeks going to be enough; have I unavoidably already started tapering beyond salvation; can 2 weeks of slacking iow 50km vs the goal of 95km make or break my fitness? Was at the physio today to sort out my stress spasms and she slapped me on the back saying to keep faith, don't try and make up for the missed runs and make the call closer to the race, depending what my runs add up to this last 3 weeks. My poor husband is gatvol hearing running complaints and advise me to rather get back on the mtb or stick to trail running.

My advice would be to forget long runs. 

Do 10 to 14km easy runs consistently between now and the end of the month, get miles in the legs without the big recovery.

Then just continue the taper as normal from October.

The long run is just to remind the brain how to push through the barrier. No need to do lots of them at all. 

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

My advice would be to forget long runs. 

Do 10 to 14km easy runs consistently between now and the end of the month, get miles in the legs without the big recovery.

Then just continue the taper as normal from October.

The long run is just to remind the brain how to push through the barrier. No need to do lots of them at all. 

Thanks Jewbacca, gonna stick to that sage advice.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2023 at 3:00 PM, Vallende Vaandel said:

How did the marathon go?

On 11/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, ScottCM said:

How did the marathon go?

So apart from the disrupted schedule and knee injury, I had a 6 day stomach bug followed by a cold. And since I'm not mature enough to know when to call it quits I still rocked up to the start line sniffling into a tissue and fearing to cough should something cough back...

Loved it, hated it, a lot went wrong and none of you irresponsible people told me how addictive marathons are.

But the worst was having only 1h20min of interrupted sleep the whole friggin night. I'm happily addicted to coffee - drink 2 cappuccino's a day. We have a Simonelli Oscar 2 and consider it our marriage councilor and closest thing I have to a personality. I can - and often do - drink a cup at 21:00 and still fall asleep within 5mins. Had a cup at 5 the night before because I'm convinced I'm somehow invincible. Ate an early dinner, popped a Slowmag... and my close to deceased GI tract gasped it's second invigorating breath and my heart decided it's time to join the sokkie jol into the wee hours of the morning. I eventually fell asleep at 03:21 from exhaustion. Lekke. Veeeeery lekke.

Don't know how I got to the start line but I fell asleep sitting in my batch queue waiting and only realized I was actually attempting my first marathon when my watch gave the first of many little buzzes - 1 down 41 to go. Then my tired party animal of a stomach decided to reminisce about bfast and brought it back up for discussion, at the 4km mark. Twice the taste, zero the callories I guess? I just kept going, slow as hell but going. I swallowed some tears at 14km as I force fed myself Maurten bars and gels - worth its over priced hype for me - and went into elevator music mode. The supporters, fellow sufferers and lays chippies on offer were my saving grace. At 25km I realized there is no way out of this and at 30km I had an internal dialog that will make Charlize Theron blush.

Anyway I did it. It was a terrible intro to the game but I loved it? At least the shoes, nutrition and gear were on parr with no hassles. Just stupidity that won't get solved anytime soon, but that's why I married a smart man so I can ignore his advice. Already signed up for next year and then some. Def have to see how far is too far. Literally.

15 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

So apart from the disrupted schedule and knee injury, I had a 6 day stomach bug followed by a cold. And since I'm not mature enough to know when to call it quits I still rocked up to the start line sniffling into a tissue and fearing to cough should something cough back...

Loved it, hated it, a lot went wrong and none of you irresponsible people told me how addictive marathons are.

But the worst was having only 1h20min of interrupted sleep the whole friggin night. I'm happily addicted to coffee - drink 2 cappuccino's a day. We have a Simonelli Oscar 2 and consider it our marriage councilor and closest thing I have to a personality. I can - and often do - drink a cup at 21:00 and still fall asleep within 5mins. Had a cup at 5 the night before because I'm convinced I'm somehow invincible. Ate an early dinner, popped a Slowmag... and my close to deceased GI tract gasped it's second invigorating breath and my heart decided it's time to join the sokkie jol into the wee hours of the morning. I eventually fell asleep at 03:21 from exhaustion. Lekke. Veeeeery lekke.

Don't know how I got to the start line but I fell asleep sitting in my batch queue waiting and only realized I was actually attempting my first marathon when my watch gave the first of many little buzzes - 1 down 41 to go. Then my tired party animal of a stomach decided to reminisce about bfast and brought it back up for discussion, at the 4km mark. Twice the taste, zero the callories I guess? I just kept going, slow as hell but going. I swallowed some tears at 14km as I force fed myself Maurten bars and gels - worth its over priced hype for me - and went into elevator music mode. The supporters, fellow sufferers and lays chippies on offer were my saving grace. At 25km I realized there is no way out of this and at 30km I had an internal dialog that will make Charlize Theron blush.

Anyway I did it. It was a terrible intro to the game but I loved it? At least the shoes, nutrition and gear were on parr with no hassles. Just stupidity that won't get solved anytime soon, but that's why I married a smart man so I can ignore his advice. Already signed up for next year and then some. Def have to see how far is too far. Literally.

Congrats and well done, the heat, humidity and WIND made it quite a challenging race this year! Learn from your experience and marathons on race day if you have done the training are all about pacing and nutrition, get those right and you can have a great day out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Jhb based members - Is anyone here an orthopedic surgeon, or has anyone had any experience with injectables for an ITB (or other) issue? My doctor recommended it to me over the weekend. I am running at what, for my abilities, seems to be a blistering pace but I can't seem to go comfortably over a half marathon distance. I need to start my prep for Comrades 24 soon, and need a solution to achieve a decent experience at the Ultra. My last 2 marathons went well until halfway in 1 and 30km in the other. Please advise?

6 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

Hi All

Jhb based members - Is anyone here an orthopedic surgeon, or has anyone had any experience with injectables for an ITB (or other) issue? My doctor recommended it to me over the weekend. I am running at what, for my abilities, seems to be a blistering pace but I can't seem to go comfortably over a half marathon distance. I need to start my prep for Comrades 24 soon, and need a solution to achieve a decent experience at the Ultra. My last 2 marathons went well until halfway in 1 and 30km in the other. Please advise?

is strength work part of your training regiment?

6 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

Hi All

Have you been to a good physio versus Doc ?

Much more to it than just getting an injection.

what volume/km per week are you doing , whats a blistering pace ie are you running too hard too fast relative to your bodies running experience ect.