ScottCM

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

no plans for 2025 just yet...

not much. I am aware of that being necessary and did make use of the school track when it was marked up for two sessions where I pushed myself towards puking. I should probably do that again before moaning.

but I'm talking about running for 10-15km over the same sort of routes. my average speed is not really dropping (anecdotally!) 

might be worth adding in a session or 2. Coach has me on at least 2 sessions a week of fartleg, intervals or a sustained tempo effort, the rest is pretty much recovering between those and longer runs really.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/4/2024 at 2:44 PM, dave303e said:

Honestly, drop your silver goal and go learn the race, get a comfortable(slower) finish under your belt, then another good year of training on the legs and you will send that silver finish comfortably. Look at guys like Jim walmsley, it took him a few attempts at Western states to win, but when he did the record dropped. Then he moved to France and after a few attempts at UTMB he learned a lot and when he eventually won it the record dropped again.

I also had the one and done mindset but I have realised it is too big event to have a perfect race in 1 attempt. Get a finish, learn the race, learn yourself and you will smash it the following year...

Agreed. It takes years and years to learn about Comrades. And even then one only learns a little bit each time. Having realistic expectations is key. 

On 3/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, ScottCM said:

Shot in the dark here, does anyone know where in SA I can get a pair of Alphafly 1 not the 2 in woman UK size 8 or 8.5 or 9? 

Edit: It doesn't have to be in SA, my sister whom they are for is in SA but I can ship it to her from anywhere. 

Very tricky to find now. I can have a look around at EU options. Why not look for some Vaporfly 2s?

On 3/6/2024 at 10:34 AM, Vetplant said:

Other Friend of mine at work(Who has completed multiple IMSA's) mentioned that it fails on two criteria:

-Doesn't meet the minimum elevation gain requirement

-Start/Finish is not with the required distance from each other(Something like 400m maximum). This specifically put in place to prevent a point-to-point marathon.

I tried to verify by looking at whatever source I can find listing "Comrades Qualifying Races" and the race is not listed on a single one of those websites...

Thus my concern

https://www.runnersworld.co.za/race-news/qualify-for-two-oceans-or-comrades-at-the-scenic-tracn4-elands-marathon/

"The TRACN4 Elands Marathon, the most picturesque Comrades qualifier in Mpumalanga, is once again upon us. "

35 minutes ago, Craai said:

https://www.runnersworld.co.za/race-news/qualify-for-two-oceans-or-comrades-at-the-scenic-tracn4-elands-marathon/

"The TRACN4 Elands Marathon, the most picturesque Comrades qualifier in Mpumalanga, is once again upon us. "

I have discussed it with both parties on my side.
-The entrant successfully submitted his qualifying time on the Comrades website, it was accepted.
-The person making the claim admitted their error.

As you were

and so the taper from hell started last week. So far in this 1 week taper I have got tonsilitis( now on antibiotics) and this morning after my run I think I may have broken a pinky toe on the corner of the shower. Sundays marathon is going to be a hoot

On 2/8/2024 at 7:03 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Entered my very first triple digit ultra a few minutes ago. 100km of trail in as long as it takes basically. Realistically I reckon about 18 to 20 hours for my fat ass. My running heritage is not great so going to hurt a bit I suspect. But, it should be enjoyable and great scenery. 

@ScottCM think about it  

https://www.thresholdtrailseries.com/events/race-to-the-stones/

How is the training going?

20 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

How is the training going?

😔 i have not run in a month. Darn plantar faciilis is not clearing up. Will start cycling a bit this weekend and hopefully it clears in the next few weeks. 

have a marathon planned on the 7th of april, might have to miss that but that would just be a training jog if i make it. then an 80km in may, and lastly, 100 km in july. Will walk it if i have to. more than enough time. 

Oi that's no good. Sorry to hear that bud. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If not and you are forced to walk it (the 100km event), I might join you for company. 

For Sale:

Posting this here cos it's as good a place as I can think of - I've got a pair of NB Hierro 7, brand new in the box, size 44. Bought online, one size too small, and would rather offer them to someone on here than return them cos they were a steal.

R 1 500, same as I paid for them. Will return them on Monday if nobody bites.

As you were.