ScottCM

On 4/2/2024 at 9:39 AM, Shebeen said:

interesting vibes off the 2oceans website.

they have two versions of the ultra map and route profile.

this one is on the individual dashboard section and is labelled 2023

RouteMapUltra.jpg

this one is on the race day info and is labelled 2024

2024-Ultra-Marathon-OuKaapse-Weg-Route-Map-Updated-NEW1-724x1024.png

I'm pretty sure we are running the 2023 route. the road closures would suggest that too. But it's not like they are not big organisation with fulltime employees to check up on this sort of thing.....

So a little birdie whispered that if the wind doesnt settle down then Ou Kaapse Weg route may become a reality. I sincerely hope not.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, ScottCM said:

For those running Oceans this weekend, how is the taper going? Any phantom injuries? What is everyone's goals for the event?

I leave for Cpt tonight to have Eid celebrations with my siblings. Had no intention to be there at this time of year but decided to go a few weeks ago. This obviously means that I didn't enter the race but I'm trying my luck with the organisers to let me run. Either way, I will do an ultra training run in Cpt. I'm feeling good, and if I get the chance, I would like to test my ITB on the camber going down Rhodes Drive. Sub 5 is the aim.

9 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

They had me until 10mm drop, that's insanely high

For a speed/race day shoe a 10mm drop is probably perfect.

I'd not use it for high mileage training or social runs, but my Mizuno Wave have 8mm and they feel awesome when I want to go fast. 

The overall stack height is also high, but all of these speed shoes are. Purpose built race shoes are a different breed and I find all of them hurt my eyes in terms of aesthetics and general numbers.

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

For a speed/race day shoe a 10mm drop is probably perfect.

I'd not use it for high mileage training or social runs, but my Mizuno Wave have 8mm and they feel awesome when I want to go fast. 

The overall stack height is also high, but all of these speed shoes are. Purpose built race shoes are a different breed and I find all of them hurt my eyes in terms of aesthetics and general numbers.

You're probably right. I've just gotten so used to 6mm and below that'd I actually forgotten that even Pegasus are 10mm drop.

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

So a little birdie whispered that if the wind doesnt settle down then Ou Kaapse Weg route may become a reality. I sincerely hope not.

hmmm interesting

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

It makes sense. That wind and storm could have caused some serious issues with the nets and stones etc above chappies. 

More pretty serious wind from Thursday through to Saturday night, so if it's enough to close Chappies for any reason, Ou Kaapse is always the contingency. 

It's a tough route up there, but if there are falling stones etc it's the right call. The wind over there also causes issues with litter blowing into the sea. I remember they banned water sachets but the cups and entire black bags and gel packets all landed up in the sea. 

Holding thumbs for you guys that they can sort it out and keep it safe

22 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

2 months until Comrades #justsaying 😉

eish, I pulled the plug on the comrades plans yesterday. Toe/foot keeps swelling up after I run. Haven't run in over a week and it is still tender walking barefoot. Maybe running a marathon on a stuffed toe was not the best life decision. Lesson learned, there is always next year.

Plus side is that I had my first proper swim in 5 years this morning.

18 minutes ago, dave303e said:

eish, I pulled the plug on the comrades plans yesterday. Toe/foot keeps swelling up after I run. Haven't run in over a week and it is still tender walking barefoot. Maybe running a marathon on a stuffed toe was not the best life decision. Lesson learned, there is always next year.

Plus side is that I had my first proper swim in 5 years this morning.

ah man, sorry.

This road running thing is not so straightforward as it seems, ain't it?! There will always be next year, and you've definitely learnt a bit this year.

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

ah man, sorry.

This road running thing is not so straightforward as it seems, ain't it?! There will always be next year, and you've definitely learnt a bit this year.

You guys sound like Sport captains being interviewed!

'It didn't go to plan, but we learned a lot and we will definitely come back stronger and better prepared for the next game' said every losing sport captain ever!

@dave303e sorry dude. Foot and lower leg injuries don't mix well with the repetition of road running. 

14 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ah man, sorry.

Definitely a lot to figure out, I think finishing a marathon is easy enough, you can suffer that, but racing on flat tapped at max is a very different beast. I also think there is a time and a place for marathons and we should all spend a lot more time on flat out pace.

The other thing I learned is to wear shoes all the time in the lead up to a race, especially when you are fumbling around in the dark early mornings around shower corners.

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys sound like Sport captains being interviewed!

'It didn't go to plan, but we learned a lot and we will definitely come back stronger and better prepared for the next game' said every losing sport captain ever!

@dave303e sorry dude. Foot and lower leg injuries don't mix well with the repetition of road running. 

This is too true, but eff there is no other way to look at it. Got to find the positive somewhere or it is depressing watching so much time/kms run go to a ball of sh...t because your toe looks like a strangled smurf after every run or even walking to far on the farm...

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

The road is still closed currently. I think that is mainly due to the stormy weather we had, and therefore rockfalls from resettling slopes. it is windy again wed, and ....saturday too. borderline windy enough to close chappies, and no rain predicted so I'd guess they would run the normal route if the road is open by wed lunchtime.

pink = windsurfing weather

image.png.c3a01a7dd8ecceea1179b96fee193d15.png

I'm not sure what time they make the final call, friday 10am maybe?

On 4/4/2024 at 2:39 PM, peepeekaitjie said:

so with the winter slowly approaching in the Cape. I have been wondering how to negotiate running throughout as this will be my first winter. the majority of my runs will be in the afternoons. I think a base layer and a shirt should mostly be fine. maybe a windbreaker in case. anything else seems like overkill, probably.

How do you Kaapenaars manage training throughout the winter?

A bit late to the reply - as snowflake as I am to the cold - shorts, mohair blister resist long socks, decent longsleeve breathable running shirt and in heavy rain my Salomon Bonatti pro waterproof jacket. Thin gloves to help with wind chill and early mornings I might opt for leggings. Base layers, wind breakers and thermal tights make me feel like those Robinsons Cook-in Chicken bags and imo not needed here. And as a female runner alone, I plak myself full of reflectors and lights - you will be shocked how 'polite' the cars are here and especially in our omnipresent downpours and fog it's best to mimic a krismis tree. But I can't think of any better time to run than in the winter rain here in the cape. Enjoy!!

question to the crowd.

doing Two oceans ultra on saturday, mainly an experience/training to build up to comrades.

I have been running to the loo since last friday with this gastro bug. think it's sorted now though. probiotics kicking in.

I was hoping to test out nutrition for Comrades, but reckon need to go a bit more conservative. What are the easiest digestible locally available gels one can use. (I know about maurten, wondering if the hype and $$$ tag is justified.). Normally my stomach is ok with anything, and i've tried all different brands along the way. Was going to go with a combo of (zero caffeine) Gu and 32GI