ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 10, 15 or 21 k races this Sunday in GP ?

I might be up for some altitude training.. :whistling:

Gerald Fox memorial 21/10 is on Sunday at Johannesburg Zoo. Not sure if you can enter on the day as it is part of the Vitality Series.

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/events/gerald-fox-memorial-half-marathon-10km/

Saturday is Andrew Greyling 21/10 at Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria which will probably be less congested than the Gerald Fox memorial race.

Edited by Hacc

That's such a good summary of the stairs. They are awkwardly spaced so that you're constantly alternating between which leg you launch from, which is fantastic for balanced strength but it also breaks your rhythm and stride so you're constantly working. The hardest part for me, oddly, is the section from that leads across the road to the second section of stairs. I'm sucking in buckets of air at that stage and it doesn't touch sides.

Saturday is Andrew Greyling 21\10 at Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria which will probably be less congested than the Gerald Fox memorial race.

I'm going to give the Brooklyn half a go. Haven't run a half in ages so will be interested to see how my times have changed. I remember it being a really fun distance, short enough to push hard but long enough to get into a nice rhythm.

I haven't run a two lap 21km before so quite keen to see how it works out. You running either of those, Hacc?

Pretty much sums it up. I used them a few years ago to 'help' train some mates who were off to climb mountains and we progressed from walking slowly up them (hard enough on the legs), through speed walking up them, to jogging/shuffling up them, and then with rucksacks. Ah, to have a knee again, that could take that kind of hammer! 

Gerald Fox memorial 21\10 is on Sunday at Johannesburg Zoo. Not sure if you can enter on the day as it is part of the Vitality Series.

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/events/gerald-fox-memorial-half-marathon-10km/

Saturday is Andrew Greyling 21\10 at Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria which will probably be less congested than the Gerald Fox memorial race.

Thanks

Probably will give it a miss, only there for a few days and need to optimise the time I have there

Just thinking...   Is there anything Comrades can do, perhaps just the same as OMTOM with the gogreen campaign, to keep the streets clean.

Comparing the two, it was disgusting how the water sachets were just dumped everywhere during comrades.

Then another thing is the black bags and Bonitas "tops" that you have to avoid like the plague after the start.  I guess this is going to be a problem to sort out, but surely big boxes along the route where they can be thrown away can work.  But I realize this one is wishful thinking, but it is a big problem and nonsense and I guess on the downrun it is going to be a serious hazard in the dark outside Pmb.  

There is however no excuse for the water sachets, there was A LOT of bins to throw them a way, you just have to hold on to them for a 1km or so.

Edited by Jackes

I'm going to give the Brooklyn half a go. Haven't run a half in ages so will be interested to see how my times have changed. I remember it being a really fun distance, short enough to push hard but long enough to get into a nice rhythm.

I haven't run a two lap 21km before so quite keen to see how it works out. You running either of those, Hacc?

Unfortunately not, taking it easy with the running at the moment. Going to be a long day in the saddle for me tomorrow. I need to be cycling for at least 4 hours tomorrow.

I am doing a 100km ride next weekend. 

Good luck to all our CT marathoners! Enjoy the beautiful Cape, take it easy tomorrow, don't spent too much money at the expo and run your hearts out on Sunday!! We want some race reports on Monday.

Just thinking...   Is there anything Comrades can do, perhaps just the same as OMTOM with the gogreen campaign, to keep the streets clean.

Comparing the two, it was disgusting how the water sachets were just dumped everywhere during comrades.

Then another thing is the black bags and Bonitas "tops" that you have to avoid like the plague after the start.  I guess this is going to be a problem to sort out, but surely big boxes along the route where they can be thrown away can work.  But I realize this one is wishful thinking, but it is a big problem and nonsense and I guess on the downrun it is going to be a serious hazard in the dark outside Pmb.  

There is however no excuse for the water sachets, there was A LOT of bins to throw them a way, you just have to hold on to them for a 1km or so.

I agree the GoGreen campaign at OMTOM was amazing this year. It is such huge bins, you cannot miss it.

I agree the GoGreen campaign at OMTOM was amazing this year. It is such huge bins, you cannot miss it.

and even if you do, it is all in one area and there was guys quickly raking it up.

Some guys did manage to missed them but luckily there was a marshall close by who wrote race numbers down? Think there was quiet alot of DQ.

Edited by Zatek

I believe that there is a collection at the CT Marathon Expo for old finishers medal that people no longer want, for the childrens hospital for kids that have come through chemo treatment etc..what a wonderful idea!