ScottCM

Well chaps... Running here is a nightmare.... Flat and fast... With no downhill rest. My heart rate is still through the roof... But I'm sure it will settle we I relax a bit (i.e get my first pay cheque!) And get used to the flat style of running.

Other then that, I am really fortunate to be able to run in some incredibly beautiful scenery with lots of woods nearby to mix up a bit of road and a bit of trail. The weather too has been incredible and today I had an clear cloudless sky to really appreciate my surrounds. Got lost once and have had to do some turnarounds when suddenly encountering a farmer's gate.. But other than that it's all been good.

Also meet up with the local running club and joined them for their end of season prize giving. Needless to say, in true Irish tradition (and no... It's definitely not a stereotype) there was plenty drinking fun and festivity.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was a bit of a sufferfest. Not done any running due to a 5 week ITB in the lead up to CPT marathon. First 15km went well, no real pain, then started feeling ITB with a numbness, 28km , leg felt dead and was actually able to pick up pace and run freely! Around 36kms ITB started to complain a lot and could feel the lack of training and fitness in my legs... The last 5kms was a slog and felt like more of a shuffle than a run... Finished in 4:10hrs. Generally happy considering the lack of any long distance runs in the lead up to the race.

After some much needed physio in the tent at the finish, my ITB is feeling rather better than I thought it would :)

Geez, well done on gritting your teeth through that and banking an excellent time in the end.

So..... We had to make s sudden trip to SA and today my "program" required a 2 hr run. As we are staying in our old neighbourhood my wife who had a a 10k on her program we decided to do our old club (Sunward park striders) 8 km TT route. she would do 1 lap and a bit a while I did a sort of extended double lap lasting 2 hrs.

All went well until we ran into a "temporary" road closure which blocked off the route... bah humbug...welcome to Gauteng suburbia.

Anyway we had a good run up some old but not forogotten streets, was a bit chilly this morning with wind blowing, almost nipple rash weather....

Felt a bit strange running on the road towards traffic as we are used to running mostly on car free paths / roads.

So I decided to enter a marathon secretly, the inaugural Vaal River City Marathon, held yesterday. In secret because I didn’t want to disappoint myself or those who know me. I have entered 2 marathons earlier this year in an attempt to qualify for 2 Oceans 2017 and failed on both occasions due to my ongoing ITB issues.

So number 3 was meant to be defining in a way but not exactly my ‘A race’ – not sure which one will be but the important thing is that I can now take it easier in my training (I have over 1100km for 2017 so far – and I HATE running  :whistling:  ) as my 1st successful marathon with a time of 4:16 and some change now serves as my 2018 2 Oceans qualifier :)

I have certainly learnt a lot from yesterday’s experience and will hopefully apply all the changes for Soweto. The next best news is that my ITB was fine throughout despite feeling rather weird in the week. I hope that in the upcoming marathons, I will be able to dip into sub 4 territory.

In other news, a friend of mine ran in Cape Town yesterday. He wasn’t well prepared but managed to run a 5:28 with minimal training and said that the route change made it tougher.

Hmmm... As I told my buddies afterwards, next time I go run a marathon already injured, just klap some common sense into me. 

Despite that, I altered my aim a little and decided anything sub-4 would do. Was hoping for around 3:50 pre-injury. Sooo, about 3 k's into it, even before the first bridge, my calf started reporting for duty... or aborting from duty is closer to reality. By the time we started coming down towards the grand parade, my knee joined the chorus (where the calf attaches) and I thought I'd be happy to just finish.

Long story short, with that state of mind and 35 k's to go, it was bite the bullet or bite the dust. Compensated like crazy, ran in all funny ways just to alleviate the symptoms. But made it - nogals with a new marathon PB. So all in all quite happy - it was a big test!

Sat on the grass afterwards and could not even bend my knee from there on in. Some funny pains today, but that would simply be due to compensation.

Happy, Oceans qualifier done. Now back to the trails!  :w00t:  (After a bit of rest...and hoping to get this thing better.)

Hmmm... As I told my buddies afterwards, next time I go run a marathon already injured, just klap some common sense into me.

Despite that, I altered my aim a little and decided anything sub-4 would do. Was hoping for around 3:50 pre-injury. Sooo, about 3 k's into it, even before the first bridge, my calf started reporting for duty... or aborting from duty is closer to reality. By the time we started coming down towards the grand parade, my knee joined the chorus (where the calf attaches) and I thought I'd be happy to just finish.

Long story short, with that state of mind and 35 k's to go, it was bite the bullet or bite the dust. Compensated like crazy, ran in all funny ways just to alleviate the symptoms. But made it - nogals with a new marathon PB. So all in all quite happy - it was a big test!

Sat on the grass afterwards and could not even bend my knee from there on in. Some funny pains today, but that would simply be due to compensation.

Happy, Oceans qualifier done. Now back to the trails! :w00t: (After a bit of rest...and hoping to get this thing better.)

Look after the knee/leg.... You don't want to do permanent damage

Happy, Oceans qualifier done. Now back to the trails!  :w00t:  (After a bit of rest...and hoping to get this thing better.)

Respect! Well done for getting through that from such an early stage. Hope you don't have any long-term damage but enjoy the recovery break anyway, you've earned it.

Has anybody here done the PotatoPride Marathon in Frankfort?

Anybody perhaps?     

And then, how about Knysna Forest Marathon?

For those that did the Cape Town Marathon, is this a good one to do as a first marathon?  Im keen to try do a full marathon and from friends feedback, this sounds like a good one.  Im not good at doing a lap run so PMB42 is out, I wanted to try Mandela but have been told im nuts to do it as a first one.

Mental game on piont. well done

Good Day Guys, anyone that can help me with marathons left before the end of the year in gauteng, NW? or just a site where i can get some descent information.

So while out cycling between all the CT Marthon Runners the bug bit me....

So looking at giving running a go, have no idea how i will be able to fit this into an already 10-13 hours a week cycling..

But why not.

Would like to do a half before end of year.

Plan would be

Easy 5km 3 x times a week and start building from there.

Lets hope old body can keep up.

Then the big one, how will this influence my cycling?

Stricker, running benefits cycling big time in my opinion.  I can go without a pedal for weeks on end and get on the bike and still have fun for 25km - 30km..I would imagine if I wanted to do a long ride then Id have to put in some training.

So while out cycling between all the CT Marthon Runners the bug bit me....

So looking at giving running a go, have no idea how i will be able to fit this into an already 10-13 hours a week cycling..

But why not.

Would like to do a half before end of year.

Plan would be

Easy 5km 3 x times a week and start building from there.

Lets hope old body can keep up.

Then the big one, how will this influence my cycling?

Whilst running has not increased my cycling power output a great deal (only specific cycling workouts I do improve that)... it has improved my endurance fitness as well as increased my V02 which benefits my cycling

Edited by shaper