ScottCM

So... last year this time I had a shocker of a Luzern marafun.

This year I chickened out so next Sunday we are running the Luzern half marafun....

Let’s hope the rather pleasant autumn weather we have been having continues until at least then.....

Full house of 7000 entries for the half ????

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see our strava club has grown to 38members, that's awesome guys and gals :clap:

Please help me find the bikehub runners Strava group.

Thanks

Okay, so trail running is hard work. I wanted to do a 10km shakedown/fitness tester in anticipation of Kaapsehoop this weekend but, with kids, only one of us can race at a time so I let me wife do the CSIR in Pretoria yesterday and the only other short race I could find for Sunday was the 13km Land Rover Modderfontein.

First trail running lesson for me: Forget about pace, it means nothing. I normally negative split so I zoned in on what I thought would be my comfortable road pace for the first five kays. It wasn't comfortable after five kays.

Second trail running lesson: You're always working. Even in the flat sections, they were so twisty that there's very little opportunity to find a groove and sit there.

Third trail running lesson: I rely on other runners a lot. In a road race, I like to latch onto a pack or a couple of runners at a pace just on the edge of my comfort zone and use them to tow me along until I feel I need to change up my pace later in the race. On trail, you end up on your own and it's REALLY hard motivating yourself to push when you don't have someone else's heels to stare at or some loud footsteps right behind you.

Fourth trail running lesson: this wasn't even a technical trail. Which makes me currently a dirt roadie.

But the big lesson; I loved it. That was hard work, I had my time ambitions humbled, but it was a great experience. I'm looking forward to switching over to trail after Comrades.

One more rest day then I’m back in action. We geading to Jordan for a little break away, staying on the shores of the dead sea, some of the hills in the surrounding area seems to have trails on them. Looking forward to running outside again.

Okay, so trail running is hard work. I wanted to do a 10km shakedown/fitness tester in anticipation of Kaapsehoop this weekend but, with kids, only one of us can race at a time so I let me wife do the CSIR in Pretoria yesterday and the only other short race I could find for Sunday was the 13km Land Rover Modderfontein.

First trail running lesson for me: Forget about pace, it means nothing. I normally negative split so I zoned in on what I thought would be my comfortable road pace for the first five kays. It wasn't comfortable after five kays.

Second trail running lesson: You're always working. Even in the flat sections, they were so twisty that there's very little opportunity to find a groove and sit there.

Third trail running lesson: I rely on other runners a lot. In a road race, I like to latch onto a pack or a couple of runners at a pace just on the edge of my comfort zone and use them to tow me along until I feel I need to change up my pace later in the race. On trail, you end up on your own and it's REALLY hard motivating yourself to push when you don't have someone else's heels to stare at or some loud footsteps right behind you.

Fourth trail running lesson: this wasn't even a technical trail. Which makes me currently a dirt roadie.

But the big lesson; I loved it. That was hard work, I had my time ambitions humbled, but it was a great experience. I'm looking forward to switching over to trail after Comrades.

Lekker!! I love the trails. Road is a lot different and has its own challanges but trail is more stimulating for me.

It's amazing how a good running base can help ones cycling. I rode in my 10th Amashova today finishing in 2h43.

Cycling this entire year included 3 rides- as lead bicycle for a 42km run in March, a 40km ride in April and a 35km on Wednesday.

A running race can really take it out of you but cycling not so much.

Thats an excellent time, well done!  :thumbup:

Barry, trail is the absolute best and no-one cares how fast or how slow, when, where and if you walk, thats why I LOVE it.  Weve done some of the 2 day trails and nothing beats it! I always run with a phone to take photos!

One more rest day then I’m back in action. We geading to Jordan for a little break away, staying on the shores of the dead sea, some of the hills in the surrounding area seems to have trails on them. Looking forward to running outside again.

Jordan! Wow that will be a fascinating trip, enjoy!

Thats an excellent time, well done!  :thumbup:

Barry, trail is the absolute best and no-one cares how fast or how slow, when, where and if you walk, thats why I LOVE it.  Weve done some of the 2 day trails and nothing beats it! I always run with a phone to take photos!

I think that's what's beginning to appeal to me. On road I find I'm always chasing PBs, it's a head-down sufferfest and if you're a minute off your last time you feel a bit bleak, even if you had a great run. On trail, each course is completely different so PBs are meaningless and I feel a lot less competitive, which suits me. Plus everybody seems super chilled, you guys are hogging all the fun.

One more Comrades and, if I hit my goal, then I'm moving over to trail completely, I think (maybe with the odd 10km and 21km road race because sometimes running as fast as you possibly can is a lot of fun.)

If I remember correctly, the dead see is below sea level, isn't it? You're going to feel doped up on oxygen, running will be amazing.

Must say I am also eagerly looking forward to some trail runs after my recent Run the Berg experience... it's chilled, you see places that take your breath away, you take photos and you've got the time and space to take it all in - unlike in the hysteria of most chicken koop like PB charging road race batches. 

You still flipping smashed that race Barry - I wish my suffering times looked like that  :w00t:

You still flipping smashed that race Barry - I wish my suffering times looked like that   :w00t:

Ditto.

Thats why I refuse to run with my husband..he does times like this and when I ask him if he saw this bird or that river etc..he says what river!! :eek:

Two weeks ago I did a trail run half marathon. It was raining and muddy, so stupid me decided to run in an old pair of Salomons, with 800km plus on them. Long story short, I ended up with tendinitis in both feet. Had to lay flat on my back for two days, unable to even walk. Today is the first day I can move around with almost no pain...touch wood.

Its just amazing how quickly an injury can pop up. School fees paid, but 3 weeks before Comrades qualifying...????

Jordan! Wow that will be a fascinating trip, enjoy!

Thanks! Looking forward to it but we will have to go again to do all the sites. We are staying on the shores of the Dead sea and is quite far from Petra and so on. It is only a long weekend so we will check out that area thoroughly.

Thanks! Looking forward to it but we will have to go again to do all the sites. We are staying on the shores of the Dead sea and is quite far from Petra and so on. It is only a long weekend so we will check out that area thoroughly.

We were just this weekend talking about signing up for the Ironman 70.3 in Dubai (Return flights to Dubai are 5 grand! Unbelievable) - it would be my first time in the Middle East, but for years we've talking about checking out areas like Jordan, Israel, and across to Bahrain, Qatar, Oman.