ScottCM

Well done to all who qualified this weekend.

Carpet, my love!!!!!! Edited by Vetseun

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon reflection, Kaapsehoop was spectacular but having had two days of shuffling, I far prefer an undulating marathon. Thank the flying spaghetti monster it's my end of season break for the rest of the month.

Edited by Barry Stuart

Hey guys.

What do you eat for breakfast before a marathon and during the run?

I try to eat what I always eat. A bowl of uncooked Jungle Oats in milk with a few raisins and some honey about two hours before the start. Followed by a glass of rehydrat.

I'm still experimenting with race fuel. This time I took two sachets of Hammer Perpetuem mixed into a very thick paste and kept in two very small bottles. I finished the one over the course of the first 21km, having a little bit with some water at each water point. The second I took at 28 and 35km. It seemed to work quite well.

Hey guys.

I'm with Barry - I eat what I normally eat: Oats/ProNutro with milk. I've never had any issues with what I eat. In my younger years I've had a McD meal before Comrades... (silly youth).

Some people have issues with excessive dairy beforehand.

O, and a Rehidrat.

During the event, I just use (dink) whatever is at the water stations.

Edited by Pulse

I also have oats and a protein shake for breakfast.  Nothing different and nothing new to what I normally have, which is usually a couple of hours before running.  30mins before the start I eat a protein bar.

On the run, I eat a few jelly babies/bean and drink water at the stations.  I am not a fan of gels

I also eat what I normally eat before any run.

I eat a little bit of cooked oats 2 hours before the start. I tried mieliepap before but it just feels too heavy in my stomach. 

If it is a marathon I eat a racefood every hour. (30g of carbs every hour) I don't like sweet things so if I really hit a wall I have some diluted coke or half a cup of coke and half a hammer gel (This is in case of emergency). Gels seem to upset my stomach.

At Comrades I will eat potatoes on the road at the potato stations.

I drink hydrochoice (rehydrate) every 15kms.

A friend of my said she is experimenting with adding plain salt to her water when cycling. It seems to help her with cramping on the bike. I tried it on Sunday, I only added a quarter of a teaspoon to my water and it helped. I am thinking of giving it a try while running as well. 

Cool thanks guys! I’ll do the oats thing and I brought some energellies so I’ll use them during the run. From what I have heard there is no food at the watertables but I have done a few lsd runs on only a bananna and protein bar so I reccon I’ll do that because that can fit in my belt.

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys.

BF : Two or three eggs, and a mug of coffee.

During - nothing, only water occasionally. 

I also eat what I normally eat before any run.

I eat a little bit of cooked oats 2 hours before the start. I tried mieliepap before but it just feels too heavy in my stomach. 

If it is a marathon I eat a racefood every hour. (30g of carbs every hour) I don't like sweet things so if I really hit a wall I have some diluted coke or half a cup of coke and half a hammer gel (This is in case of emergency). Gels seem to upset my stomach.

At Comrades I will eat potatoes on the road at the potato stations.

I drink hydrochoice (rehydrate) every 15kms.

A friend of my said she is experimenting with adding plain salt to her water when cycling. It seems to help her with cramping on the bike. I tried it on Sunday, I only added a quarter of a teaspoon to my water and it helped. I am thinking of giving it a try while running as well. 

As I train pretty much every day twice a day for my triathlons, I take salt tablets daily.  I cannot remember the last time I cramped, whether doing an LSD or high intensity workout.  I also heavily salt my food.

As I train pretty much every day twice a day for my triathlons, I take salt tablets daily.  I cannot remember the last time I cramped, whether doing an LSD or high intensity workout.  I also heavily salt my food.

Do you take salt tablets as in a daily supplement like vitamins, or only during training sessions?

Do you take salt tablets as in a daily supplement like vitamins, or only during training sessions?

Yes I take salt tablets, as well as Omega 3,6,9 and Magnesium Glycinate (find it works better than slow mag) daily