ScottCM

The heat kicked my ass last year. Nausea + heat isn't a good combo. At 102km I was DONE. Medic came and pulled me off the route as I didn't want to quit. Finished it fine in 2016. People think you are adding tails to the story when you say it was 50 degrees. It really was. Some of the checkpoints had to delay packing up as the tent poles were too hot. It was insane.

I read many race reports on last year's race, it was almost bordering on being too dangerous to continue with the race in that heat, in my opinion. 

Regardless, all the best. 

What gear are you using?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read many race reports on last year's race, it was almost bordering on being too dangerous to continue with the race in that heat, in my opinion. 

Regardless, all the best. 

What gear are you using?

Lets see...

Shoes : Inov-8 TrailRoc 255 + New Balance road shoes for the last 60km.

Pants : Nike 2-in-1 shorts

Shirt : Very soft running shirt from Mr Price Sport

Socks : Injinji (and possibly swop out at CP11 with fresh socks)

Cap : Trucker cap from UpAndRunningStore

Backpack : 15L one from AliExpress

Trekking Poles : K-Way Compact (169g each)

Nutrition : Tailwind drink. If hunger strikes I'll eat real food at the tables. But if between checkpoints, I have at least 10 FarBars on me (salted apricot), and 2 Salted Caramel Gu's for emergency.

Apart from that, the rest of the required gear as per the race rules.

Been avoiding this thread for ages, but visiting and not having a bike, I purchased some running shoes and have been doing half an hour a day for the past 10 days. Running truly does suck, but at least it is fast and easy to get a quick workout to compensate for all the beer, boerie, wine women and song...

Anyone doing the Surrender Hill Marathon in Clarens on Saturday?

On that point - I did it a couple of times when it still ended in Fouriesburg.  Returned last year for the half (+10km) as it was a week after the Deloitte 42 and I didn't want to do another mar so closely spaced, also with ODD coming up.

In that context I think the organisers are missing a big opportunity not to include a 32 as well.  To extend the half by approx 5km would have been very easy to manage with the bonus of turning around practically on the highest point of the route (SH).  (The 21 and 42 are out and back on the Fouriesburg road.)  It would have made a nice alternative to the Sunrise Monster, but alas.

Been avoiding this thread for ages, but visiting and not having a bike, I purchased some running shoes and have been doing half an hour a day for the past 10 days. Running truly does suck, but at least it is fast and easy to get a quick workout to compensate for all the beer, boerie, wine women and song...

I think most people on this thread don't agree with this. 

How long have you been running?

Sunrise monster.... that brings back memories

Great event

Ah the good old Sunrise Monster. My first 32km and one of my all time favourite races!

Just a pity the route got changed a couple of years ago - I think the 'old' SM was a bit more hilly?

About ten days.

Reminds me of a thread a while ago, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/148695-runningit-sucks-but/?hl=running

Would be interesting to know if anyone from that thread has taken up running more regularly and have now found themselves here?

About ten days.

Nice bud. Don't worry its ok, we don't bite and we dont tell your mates either  ^_^

Just be careful that you don't overdo it and pick up an injury cause then it will really suck! 

If you need advice or just motivation ask away there are plenty guys here that are always willing to lend a hand. 

Runner's World has recently published their Sub 2 Half Marathon Program which is over 16 Weeks, here it is if anyone is interested in targeting and event later in the Year.

attachicon.gifHALF-MARATHON.pdf

Thanks, will be interesting to see how it compares with the 13.1 plan I have.

Too much running and not enough cycling... while the running is starting to become enjoyable, nothing beats riding a bicycle - well, almost nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, will be interesting to see how it compares with the 13.1 plan I have.

Too much running and not enough cycling... while the running is starting to become enjoyable, nothing beats riding a bicycle - well, almost nothing.

Yes that is true, however I am much stronger on the bike now.

Yes that is true, however I am much stronger on the bike now.

I’m the other way. My aerobic and anaerobic fitness is still high, but my (bike) racing form is affected... I get dropped after multiple attacks, and the hills.

Nice bud. Don't worry its ok, we don't bite and we dont tell your mates either ^_^

Just be careful that you don't overdo it and pick up an injury cause then it will really suck!

If you need advice or just motivation ask away there are plenty guys here that are always willing to lend a hand.

Best advice I can give as a fellow newbie runner is to keep at it, gradually increasing distance and/or pace, and then maintain the gradual increase over time. I’m into my 12th week (3 runs per week) and although I prefer riding, it is a good workout that doesn’t require a lot of time.

I’m the other way. My aerobic and anaerobic fitness is still high, but my (bike) racing form is affected... I get dropped after multiple attacks, and the hills.

This is the sad dilemma, to be good at something you have to concentrate specifically on that something.