ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am 1.47mins slower on the timing v my Garmin?

Elevation 562m on Fenix5

hard to tell because I ran to the race but mine looks almost exactly spot on. Seconds difference maybe.

I see Hot Legs's results are out on Raceresults - what was the (watch indicated) elevation as I see can't find the activity search on Strava anymore?

Thanks 

On Facebook it said 600m, mine was 573m on Fenix 3. It felt more than that...

Edited by Hacc

What are everyone's thoughts on running the Deloitte Durban 42km on 18 March bearing in mind I ran the Surrender Hill 42 this past Saturday (3 March)?

I didn't run Surrender Hill very hard and the legs are feeling good and I don't plan to run Deloitte hard either but rather use it as a training effort. Ideally I'd prefer 3 weeks between marathons. Thoughts?

What are everyone's thoughts on running the Deloitte Durban 42km on 18 March bearing in mind I ran the Surrender Hill 42 this past Saturday (3 March)?

I didn't run Surrender Hill very hard and the legs are feeling good and I don't plan to run Deloitte hard either but rather use it as a training effort. Ideally I'd prefer 3 weeks between marathons. Thoughts?

I haven't seen many coaches or training plans recommending two marathons in two weeks. Most recommend 3 weeks at least as you mentioned, but that doesn't mean you can't do it if you are running both easy.

Also depends on your next race? How long do you have to recover post Deloitte before your next race?

I am starting to think about Two Oceans Ultra race strategy:

So the starting slow theory, what is slow?  Is it running at say 5:40 instead of 5:20 or a 5:30 per km.

If that is the case, what would it mean, by running 10 seconds/km "slower" will you start hurting at 38 km instead of 32 km?

Doing my first one, so just wondering how one tackle this thing.

I haven't seen many coaches or training plans recommending two marathons in two weeks. Most recommend 3 weeks at least as you mentioned, but that doesn't mean you can't do it if you are running both easy.

Also depends on your next race? How long do you have to recover post Deloitte before your next race?

Im doing 2 ultra's with 2 weeks recovery in between - Irene (48km) and Loskop (50km). Think it all depends on your prep leading up to the races and what speed you will be running. 

So the starting slow theory, what is slow?  Is it running at say 5:40 instead of 5:20 or a 5:30 per km.

If that is the case, what would it mean, by running 10 seconds/km "slower" will you start hurting at 38 km instead of 32 km?

Ultra's are all about self preservation (keeping your heart rate as low as possible and having good hydration/nutrition EARLY on). Generally you would run them 20-30 seconds/km slower than your comfortable pace for the first 30km and gradually up the pace if you feeling good. Many people make the mistake of going out too quick and hydrating/eating after hitting the wall - which is too late. A race like Comrades you could even slow down to 60 seconds/km slower than your comfortable pace.

Edited by Gringo111

The real hurt in this case starts at 42 as you exit Hout Bay and the level of that hurt depends on how you handled the 6kms going down into Hout Bay...

Apart from that, pull the handbrake up a nudge of two from the start.  Adrenaline is rushing and it is a lovely "flat/down run" to Chappies, which you will regret even more come Hout Bay if you went out to fast here.  Rather enjoy the scenery and the first one experience here, the pain will come.

My next one would probably be the Bergville to Ladysmith 52km on 7 April.

Maybe I should look at doing the Deloitte 21km instead but at a harder effort.

The one year that I actually entered Comrades I did this + 1 extra marathon (one marathon was the Wally Hayward on a Wednesday public holiday).

It all went fine, we ran really slow, walked and had fun.

Miles in the bank I thought.... going to kill comrades... snigger....

Until one day running the Boksburg AC Colgate 32, my ITB suddenly remembered the previous marathon abuse and that was it.... no running for many months and definetly no Comrades.

Undertrained is better than overtrained

I have run Om Die Dam 50km and Two Oceans two weeks apart in 2016. For me it didn't work, my legs felt tired from the start at Two Oceans. 

Unfortunately, I am doing the same again this year... Om Die Dam and Oceans two weeks apart and then Loskop 3 weeks after Oceans. I am not aiming for any special times this year and see them all as training runs. I am hoping for a good Loskop.

The ultra month has arrived! I am a little bit freaked out about Om Die Dam, I suffered on Sunday on the 32km... just thinking about another 18km makes my stomach turn. I truly hope the reverse route is going to be easier, but then again it is an ultra and the wheels always come off at 42km, it doesn't matter what the profile looks like...

So who is doing which ultra in March and April?

I would suggest 20seconds slower for the first 28km. Going down Chappies you must also pace yourself. It is a very lekker downhill and if you don't pace it properly you will feel it in the last 14km. (from 42km onwards, which means the Houtbay section, going up Constantia Nek)

If you have something in the tank when you get to the top of Constantia Nek, you can make up time in the last 8km. 

PS. I agree with the comments regarding hydration and nutrition. Make sure you stick with your nutrition plan and be careful of overhydration. At marathons, you get used to water tables every 3.5 to 4kms, at ultras they tend to have water points every 2kms for the last couple of kms... 

Edited by Hacc