And then all the suffering from previous down runs came rushing back... :eek:

Any tips, or is less applicable to us ouside the sub 7 club?  :clap:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub 7, yoh. You will have to ask Edgar and Ferret about that. They are the Speed Freaks. :thumbup: .

But just don't start to fast. Be a little Conservative in the beginning. All those guys that start so fast, you will catch them at the 60-70km Mark.

But just don't start to fast. Be a little Conservative in the beginning. All those guys that start so fast, you will catch them at the 60-70km Mark.

I had a look at my run of last year, our first, and my thinking was if I can hit the halfway mark in the same time as last year, that would be a conservative safe target.   Considering that the first half last year was basically just up and then also "covering for what my ITB and fitness may throw at me"

So that would then end up in a conservative first half, then speedwalk the hills and keep the handbrake up until Pinetown and then do what I have left in me? 

Walk Fast

Walk early

Aim for even splits...or even better....negative splits

run very easy to the bottom of little pollys...then take a walk halfway up that long hill after it.

Run easy through camperdown - its vibey..don't let that make you run too fast.

Run easy through the flats and then break Inchanga up into at least 3 or 4 walk run sections.

DONT run too fast down the back of Inchange - that will destroy your quads.

You are halfway now.....Break the run up to Bothas into some run walk strategies on the hills and then run easy down Botha's....again not too fast but faster than your planned average speed.

I found Going through hillcrest and kloof hard work - there are no major hills and if you went to hard down inchange and botha's you are going to battle.

From then on it is just your mind - slowly down fields hill so you can run through pinetown and then walk up cowies..(but fast)

the old main road section is tough and demoralising as there is no support - be prepared for that.....from then on..it is vasbyt

YES - I do have FOMO!!

1. Be careful at the start. Lots of black refuse bags, bottles etc. lying around. 

2. The start will take long - don't stress about it. It takes a good 5 kilometers for the field to open up a bit. Take it all in, it gives me goosebumps every year to see the sea of runners around me. Appreciate the supporters at the start, they are there at 5:30, in the dark supporting us.

3. Run the first half conservatively - Add 20 to 30 seconds to your training pace, not your race pace. The second half can be easily 40 to 60 seconds slower than your training pace, depending on how you feel. You start running with your head from Pinetown, I normally tell myself it is only a half marathon to go. Just keep moving forward no matter what. Drink beer if you have to but don't stop moving. Before you know it you have 15km left, then 10 and then you hit the magical single digits. Stick to your run/walk strategy here, even better if you can run with another runner to keep each other motivated.

4. Remember to stick to your nutrition strategy.

5. DON'T walk every water point -  46 water stations x 30 seconds = 23 MINUTES.  And that excludes the hill walking... My plan is to (try) and run 10kms and walk 2 minutes in the first half, but that is a very optimistic plan.

6. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try ANYTHING new on race day.

No new shorts, running belt, sports bra, or any new bars, gels, rehydration etc. My running mate got given a bottle of USN rehydration last year. He has never used it before and he started puking there and then and it didn't stop to the finish. I ran with new Falke socks and got a bad blood blister. Brude Fordyce beliefs that you need to do a long run with your full kit and all your food.

7. Don't eat anything new on the road - Yes there are lots of support on the road, and they all want to help the runners. If you haven't eaten potatoes at a race don't try it out at Comrades.

8. Take tissues with - to wipe the tears at the the start and finish... especially the finish. 

9. As mentioned before don't think of it as 90km - it is 9 runs of 10km or 7 runs of 15km. 

10. When you hit the grass sprint like you are Wayde... well I always try to do it, I am sure I am not doing it as elegantly as Wayde. It is the best feeling in the world when you hit the grass.

I guess I can go on and on, you got me all excited now!!

One last thing, make sure you have dinner ready for Sunday night, wherever you stay. You are to buggered to stop anywhere for food. I always struggle to swallow so I get myself some Woolies soup or pasta.

Edited by Hacc

Last year I could hardly eat when I got to our Hotel. Had about 3 bites, walk straight to our bed and even before my head touch the pillow I was lights out. Woke up around 03:00 hungry as hell. Ate everything I can get my hands on. :thumbup:

oh....and hydrate

and savour shoshaloza and our national anthem

and collect some flowers...or at least  tip your hat to arthur - i am superstitious like that

and for the guys.....dont let that nice backside in front of you mess with your pacing

and for the girls.....donr let that nice backside in front of you mess with your pacing

:D

Last year I could hardly eat when I got to our Hotel. Had about 3 bites, walk straight to our bed and even before my head touch the pillow I was lights out. Woke up around 03:00 hungry as hell. Ate everything I can get my hands on. :thumbup:

Two years ago we made the mistake to stop at Spur for some burgers. I took one bite and couldn't swallow. Finished my much-deserved chocolate milkshake and left the burger for breakfast.

Take along a fairly thick carton (box) to sit on before the start.  (Which you can dispose of responsibly before / when you start running) 

Edited by Pieter-za

Sub 7, yoh. You will have to ask Edgar and Ferret about that. They are the Speed Freaks. :thumbup: .

Sub 7 or sub 12 , same 90kms, same rules apply

The Down run is only Down after 54kms... Don't go off too fast... the first 22kms are BRUTAL.. and can end your race.

I plan to average sub4.40s for the day but I wont be much under 4.50 average at 20kms..

1min made up on the first 22kms will be 3mins lost in finish time.

Walk, but walk on your own terms, whether its 90secs every hour like I do (I try and do them on the base of the big named hills) or 60sec walk every 10mins it doesn't matter... If you are walking on your own plan it doesn't feel like your race is unravelling...

Keep moving forward, don't ever go backwards on course, there are water points every 1.5-2kms in the second half, if you miss something wait for the next one...

As Stretch says... Respect Tradition, Say Good Morning to Arthur... Sing the national anthem, No one is bigger than this race..

Yus, you guys are giving me serious butterflys. With this being my first Comrades, I have such a mixed feeling of excitement and nervousness. I just want the day to come now because so much work has been put into training. You almost want to wrap yourself in bubblewrap before to prevent any niggle....haha.

Running seems to be unrivaled in terms of tradition, passion, atmosphere. My aim is to take in everything on the day and ENJOY the day! 

Yus, you guys are giving me serious butterflys. With this being my first Comrades, I have such a mixed feeling of excitement and nervousness. I just want the day to come now because so much work has been put into training. You almost want to wrap yourself in bubblewrap before to prevent any niggle....haha.

Running seems to be unrivaled in terms of tradition, passion, atmosphere. My aim is to take in everything on the day and ENJOY the day! 

When I was doing my maiden Comrades last year, every other runner that had done it told me they were jealous that I was getting to do my first one. There are many memorable days in a lifetime and that one stands up there with a cherished few others I've had so far.

1. Be careful at the start. Lots of black refuse bags, bottles etc. lying around. 

2. The start will take long - don't stress about it. It takes a good 5 kilometers for the field to open up a bit. Take it all in, it gives me goosebumps every year to see the sea of runners around me. Appreciate the supporters at the start, they are there at 5:30, in the dark supporting us.

3. Run the first half conservatively - Add 20 to 30 seconds to your training pace, not your race pace. The second half can be easily 40 to 60 seconds slower than your training pace, depending on how you feel. You start running with your head from Pinetown, I normally tell myself it is only a half marathon to go. Just keep moving forward no matter what. Drink beer if you have to but don't stop moving. Before you know it you have 15km left, then 10 and then you hit the magical single digits. Stick to your run/walk strategy here, even better if you can run with another runner to keep each other motivated.

4. Remember to stick to your nutrition strategy.

5. DON'T walk every water point -  46 water stations x 30 seconds = 23 MINUTES.  And that excludes the hill walking... My plan is to (try) and run 10kms and walk 2 minutes in the first half, but that is a very optimistic plan.

6. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try ANYTHING new on race day.

No new shorts, running belt, sports bra, or any new bars, gels, rehydration etc. My running mate got given a bottle of USN rehydration last year. He has never used it before and he started puking there and then and it didn't stop to the finish. I ran with new Falke socks and got a bad blood blister. Brude Fordyce beliefs that you need to do a long run with your full kit and all your food.

7. Don't eat anything new on the road - Yes there are lots of support on the road, and they all want to help the runners. If you haven't eaten potatoes at a race don't try it out at Comrades.

8. Take tissues with - to wipe the tears at the the start and finish... especially the finish. 

9. As mentioned before don't think of it as 90km - it is 9 runs of 10km or 7 runs of 15km. 

10. When you hit the grass sprint like you are Wayde... well I always try to do it, I am sure I am not doing it as elegantly as Wayde. It is the best feeling in the world when you hit the grass.

I guess I can go on and on, you got me all excited now!!

One last thing, make sure you have dinner ready for Sunday night, wherever you stay. You are to buggered to stop anywhere for food. I always struggle to swallow so I get myself some Woolies soup or pasta.

And the biggest lesson I took from last year, watch out when running behind the older green number runners. Those guys have lost all inhibitions about farting loudly in a pack.

When I was doing my maiden Comrades last year, every other runner that had done it told me they were jealous that I was getting to do my first one. There are many memorable days in a lifetime and that one stands up there with a cherished few others I've had so far.

Funnily enough my third was the most emotional. Maybe it was just the circumstances and being part of a bus for 1/3 of the race but there was many a lump in my throat throughout the day