ScottCM

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is looking for a Two Oceans Ultra Entry - drop me a pm

You can take it off my hands minus the subs cost to switch it to your name... 

On the same note, if anyone has a half or trail run entry going - let me know?

Thanks

I can't believe this still happens. Surely its not that difficult to manage, surely....

This apparently happened disastrously for the Delloites marathon in Durban. I saw at least 5 Strava activities where "no water" was included in the title

I stayed over in PTA the night before and left just before 04h00am (should have left earlier) . Managed to park around 05h30 .

I took it nice and easy and ran with a club member who was just hoping for a finish around 6 hours. It was a long hot day out on a tough route and not having water at most of the tables from  around the 24km mark just made it really tough. I find it unacceptable to run out of water especially as entries are capped and you know how many runners are going to be there. There wasn't even any water at the finish line  :cursing: .

One of our club members did Delloites in Durban and pulled out at 26km as they also ran out of water.

I stayed over in PTA the night before and left just before 04h00am (should have left earlier) . Managed to park around 05h30 .

I took it nice and easy and ran with a club member who was just hoping for a finish around 6 hours. It was a long hot day out on a tough route and not having water at most of the tables from  around the 24km mark just made it really tough. I find it unacceptable to run out of water especially as entries are capped and you know how many runners are going to be there. There wasn't even any water at the finish line  :cursing: .

One of our club members did Delloites in Durban and pulled out at 26km as they also ran out of water.

That's just not on. It's patently dangerous, especially as it affects the runners that are out there the longest and are most affected by dehydration and the rising temperatures.

If an event i partook in ran out of water and the organisers knew the amount of participants that needed to be catered for (Capped entries like at ODD), I will never ever give them my hard earned cash again! 

If an event i partook in ran out of water and the organisers knew the amount of participants that needed to be catered for (Capped entries like at ODD), I will never ever give them my hard earned cash again! 

That's the only way to make the organisers sit up and actually do something about it but come  next year it will still be sold out ....

Heard about how disastrous the Durban Deloitte was yesterday. From a few FB statuses from my mates, to hearing it first hand from my sister and brother in law.

Just as well my wife was recovering from flu, and just as well I was recovering from shin splints.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

That's the only way to make the organisers sit up and actually do something about it but come next year it will still be sold out ....

There are a couple of options:

- Report to ASA.

- Report to the National SAPS commissioner responsible for risk management for sport events. This will then be recorded against the event, and the organisers will have to include details on how to mitigate for future events.

- Report to the safety officer/medical officer to report it to the JOC. (Same effect as above).

Deloitte have requested that the organisers give a refund a2e6331ebd83a72110d57b273ecd3d28.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Good on Deloitte for doing that, but how would it work?

There could be a few runners who weren't affected who could still click on that link to get a refund.

There could be a few runners who weren't affected who could still click on that link to get a refund.

Elke sport het sy beserings.

Let the pay this is not on at all.

Even if you run out of water packets have some alternative methods on standby like water tankers

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Not sure how they will control that. Only way I can think of is by the results and times but that could become another disaster. I suppose Delloite didn't have a choice but to suggest a refund as it's there name associated with the race.

I also think it's not just about the entry fee. One of our club members was using it as a qualifier for OMTOM and she couldn't carry on when the tables ran out of water. Throws a spanner in the works for her.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Isn't Deloitte throwing the organisers under the bus here as I would have thought a headline sponsor will play an active role wrt planing, oversight even advice etc?  (Esp an audit company which as a regular sponsor of events in AGN, KZN etc is familiar with the possible risks associated with (and mitigation of) running events.)

Edited by Pieter-za

Isn't Deloitte throwing the organisers under the bus here as I would have thought a headline sponsor will play an active role wrt planing, oversight even advice etc? (Esp an audit company which as a regular sponsor of events in AGN, KZN etc is familiar with the possible risks associated with (and mitigation of) running events.)

I agree with you on the first point, but I highly doubt that they would be involved in the event planning etc.

They must have a safety officer, and medical officer; and those would have had to submit a detailed event plan, including refreshment station details, and contingencies to SAPS and the JOC.

Well done Deloitte. How much effort and money was put into preparing for this race by runners? Only to get to halfway and bomb out because the organizers are not prepared.

They should just refund everyone to prevent confusion.