ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to make a lot of people unhappy including me!!

NEWSFLASH:

Following the South African Police Services Priority Meeting for the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon, scheduled for Saturday 20 April 2019, the OMTOM NPC Board has been informed that disruptions along the Ultra Marathon route, are a credible and real threat to Event safety.

The Two Oceans Marathon NPC has, after comprehensive and careful consideration, implemented

a route diversion for the 56km Ultra Marathon. While this diversion affects the Ultra Marathon, it effectively also negates the possibility of hosting what would have been our inaugural Relay, meaning that there will be no Relay Race. Given the constraints on numbers, we will communicate personally with all Relay participants.

The Half Marathon route remains unaffected, as do the four separate start times.

The TOM NPC has reached this decision after having had extensive discussions with all stakeholders including the South African Police Services, the Provincial Government of the Western Cape, the City of Cape Town, Disaster Management Services, Provincial Emergency Medical Services and Cape Town Traffic.

A roll-out plan is in place to communicate this decision regarding the alternative route taking runners through Ou Kaapse Weg and not along Chapmans Peak.

We are confident that this route deviation will still live up to the promise of our milestone 50th marathon celebrations, and will consistently update you of the progress.

Unfortunately sport events like these are easy targets, and get massive (indirect) publicity for the protesters

Not this year the SABC didn't have money to broadcast they race this year. And ASA was to useless to try and give the rights to someone who could

**** show all round

Well good luck to everybody doing the revised route. That profile looks hectic. I would have loved to do it myself just to say I done it though.

All the best to the Hubbers doing OMTOM tomorrow. I did my one and only last year, and I loved every moment of it. I'm sure that you will too. Pity about the protest affecting the route but if you have trained enough, no route change should affect you. Oukaapseweg is only a long climb, not really steep, although there can be some surprises.

What were your thoughts on the Live stream of Two Oceans?

I thought it was really good. Good focus on the actual race, and no continual interruptions from interviews with politicians ala SABC 3. Cuan certainly knows his stuff too. He would do very well working on the big world Marathon events.

Fantastic racing by Bongmusa and Gerda!!

Oukaapseweg is only a long climb, not really steep, although there can be some surprises.

Thats a bloody lie???? Its longer than long and its the steepest hill Ive seen in my life. That said I am from the Free State.

The start was a litte hectic in the drizzle. Dodging E groupers and black bags wasnt fun. I felt great, Oceans was only part of my Comrades training so I never intended to go hard. Pace up until Ou Kaapse weg was about 5:45/5:50. Then the fun started. Luckily I could convince myself to do a run walk strategy up there, and it took me a good 40 mins to get to the top. The downhill was quite painful but atleast I made up time with a quick few kms.

After that I just kept things steady. Had a really painful left ITB from 50 onwards, Im sure its from all the camber running. Finished in 5h42.