ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I totally underestimated my first Comrades. It was brutal. Started with high hopes and a proper plan for a sub 10. That went out of the window at about 25km. At that stage I was broken. From the start I just struggled to get going. Decided to tap off and save what was left. Almost died on my way to Drummond, but after that I recovered and could at least sustain an ok ish pace. Finished in 10h40, but over the moon to get under 11. There was quite a few moments where I couldn't see myself finishing.

So I totally underestimated my first Comrades. It was brutal. Started with high hopes and a proper plan for a sub 10. That went out of the window at about 25km. At that stage I was broken. From the start I just struggled to get going. Decided to tap off and save what was left. Almost died on my way to Drummond, but after that I recovered and could at least sustain an ok ish pace. Finished in 10h40, but over the moon to get under 11. There was quite a few moments where I couldn't see myself finishing.

Well Done Mudsimus

Welcome to comrades...a day where your go through 1000 emotions.

Those first 25km are brutal. It's just straight uphill basically.

Genuine question though... Did you walk at any point in those first 25? I would normally have a short walk at 45th, a couple of walks up cowies and then a walk run strategy up fields hill in those first 25

Congratulations on finishing your first one!!

What you have experienced is exactly the emotional roller coaster most Comrades runners experience on the day. I think each Comrades run makes you mentally stronger to handle this roller coaster. One moment it is all systems go and the next you want to crawl under a tree and die... It reminds me of this video:

(just much worse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

You can now learn from your experience and train for your B2B and first down run. :clap: 

Welcome to comrades...a day where your go through 1000 emotions.

Those first 25km are brutal. It's just straight uphill basically.

Genuine question though... Did you walk at any point in those first 25? I would normally have a short walk at 45th, a couple of walks up cowies and then a walk run strategy up fields hill in those first 25

The thing is I knew the first 25 would be hard, but it still caught me by surprise. I just have a total different perception of what a hill is.. ????

Not sure about walking, I had a walking strat of 1 min every 8km, but that never happened. Got caught in the flow of the group and just stuck to that. Had a look at my pacing now and I think my first walk was on 23km, Fields Hill?

Maybe if I started walking earlier I wouldn't have been so knackered at 30ks.

The first 10 hour bus caught me on about 32km and they were moving, I just waved them past. Second 10 hour bus just after half way, stuck with them for about 2min, then the pushing and shoving became to much. At 65km both bus drivers were walking and I passed them again. Luckily by then the one stopped playing his tambourine. I wonder how many runs these bus drivers ruin.

Maybe if I started walking earlier I wouldn't have been so knackered at 30ks.

. I wonder how many runs these bus drivers ruin.

Nope your wouldn't have... Something to put in the memory bank for next year!

Busses...steer clear.. They run according to a strategy and plan that you are not used to. I foolishly jumped onto the 8-30 bus in westville my last run and ran with it to the top of inchanga. At that point I could feel it was affecting my race so I jumped off and had a miserable final 30 as a result. I jumped off just in time and only missed my goal time by a few minutes thankfully. In the bus there was another women who kept on asking the bus driver for a walk period...I looked her up after the race... She came in in 10:50....a 2 hr 20 positive split!

There’s a reason Bruce Fordyce says the toughest marathon you’ll ever run is the first half of a Comrades up run. This is exactly what I felt with my first Comrades as well [emoji23]. Well done on finishing.

I just completed reading the last 30 pages to catch up after more than a month away from the hub.

Well done to all Comrades 2019 finishers. Really proud of you all. For those that didn't make it,(and the novices) join me as I line up for the 2020 edition.

My training has already started(slowly), since Monday 6th May. Looking to qualify in September at the CT marathon.

So I see the usual idiots are being called out on social media for cheating. Guys that are running 8:00mins/km and all of a sudden get a second wind and start doing 3:32mins/km from Polly Shortts [emoji2363]

i see little known runner called Jeannie Dreyer came 30th. 7:26,  must be the top epic finishers there

She is might only running that fast to get to the start of Freedom Challenge :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Or because she wasn't carrying a canoe :ph34r:  :ph34r:

i see little known runner called Jeannie Dreyer came 30th. 7:26,  must be the top epic finishers there

Not a lot of people as comfy in the hurt box as her... incredible diverse athlete. Wonder if she's got any long term running aspirations? Was this maybe a Munga training run?

Well done to all the Comrades runners - some great times out there! 

After seconding this year, I'm extra motivated to get my ass in gear and my back sorted so I don't have to do that again... jeepers seconding is unpleasant work at times. That traffic is soul destroying, not to mention the complete disregard for any form of human decency shown by most of my fellow seconds. It's a good thing I don't own a gun.

Wifey got home in her rock solid way with ten minutes still on the clock. Was a little tight at one point, but she always just keeps chugging on. Proud of her.

She's of course never running again... 

Got a few pics of some of our thread stars I'll post a little later