ScottCM

Thank you for the replies, folks.

I am still quite new to running. Fell in love with it around mid-2018.

I mostly do shorter distances, less than 7km. But I have done a half-marathon, as well as the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon. What a blast!

I'm getting over some knee and hip issues, and keen to hit the trails and start increasing the distances.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait… what did I do?

Unless there's 2 people with names like yours in which case this is a shocker coincidence, we tied first at the KZNTR new years run! I almost fell over when I read the email we got a few days later.

Hi Hubbers,

Is there a website like BikeHub, but geared towards running?

I have fallen in love with running and I want to start increasing distances etc, so I am looking at getting some gear (rain gear, hydration vest/pack etc), but to get set up with new gear is mega $$$ as you know. So I am on the hunt for second hand kit. I know there is Gumtree, but I have had good results buying/selling off forums such as BikeHub.

Many thanks!

For well-priced good quality kit you can also check Decathlon - I've been very impressed with the stuff I've bought there.

For well-priced good quality kit you can also check Decathlon - I've been very impressed with the stuff I've bought there.

I popped into the one on Hendrik Potgieter for the first to time on the weekend to buy some run training kit.

Not a single XL pants or a single pair of socks for size 10 or larger. Drove all the way for nothing. Huge store with no stock. Rather pathetic.

find a mountain. Pound it. With feet or wheels. It'll tell you what to do. Listen little grasshopper.

Edited by fusion01

I popped into the one on Hendrik Potgieter for the first to time on the weekend to buy some run training kit.

Not a single XL pants or a single pair of socks for size 10 or larger. Drove all the way for nothing. Huge store with no stock. Rather pathetic.

The one up in Belfast (which is our closest) has a decent supply... But I only but online from them

Where would you recommend buying running shoes ? Mine are dead and gave me blisters when I ran yesterday, I'm looking at getting a decent pair at 1,2/1,4k... I looked on takealot, I imagine sportsman and the likes are way more expensive than online ?

Sportsmans yellow ticket sale was last week. keep an eye for salomons being cleared at places like trappers.

I liked the stats report from Strava for 2019:

https://2019.strava.com/community/en-us/

Wow, how is the lady that ran every single day for 7 years in a row now!

Awesome that Comrades got a mention.

"If you were at the front of a marathon major this year, you’d have seen a lot of swooshes. The median finish time for runners wearing the Nike Next% was 8.7% faster than runners wearing the fastest competitor, the Adidas Boston."

DC Rainmaker's take on the 2019 Strava Stats:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/fascinating-stravas-2019-annual-report.html

I liked the stats report from Strava for 2019:

https://2019.strava.com/community/en-us/

Wow, how is the lady that ran every single day for 7 years in a row now!

Awesome that Comrades got a mention.

"If you were at the front of a marathon major this year, you’d have seen a lot of swooshes. The median finish time for runners wearing the Nike Next% was 8.7% faster than runners wearing the fastest competitor, the Adidas Boston."

DC Rainmaker's take on the 2019 Strava Stats:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/fascinating-stravas-2019-annual-report.html

On Nike Next%'s, I saw the 10k road world record was broken the other day at a Valencia race - 26:24 which is just ridiculous. But... done in Adidas (which for some reason made me oddly happy)

Where would you recommend buying running shoes ? Mine are dead and gave me blisters when I ran yesterday, I'm looking at getting a decent pair at 1,2/1,4k... I looked on takealot, I imagine sportsman and the likes are way more expensive than online ?

Poobie Naidoos... their prices are top notch, but it's obviously an online purchase for you so best you know exactly what you are looking for and the size.

I bought myself shoes last week, they were R1800, the cheapest I could find them anywhere else was R2400. Delivery was less than two days as well.

On Nike Next%'s, I saw the 10k road world record was broken the other day at a Valencia race - 26:24 which is just ridiculous. But... done in Adidas (which for some reason made me oddly happy)

Unreal achievement. It was broken just the other day too

https://youtu.be/QQ3SneWA-LI

Adidas Takumi Sen shoes

Adidas Takumi Sen shoes

'Created by master Japanese shoemaker Omori'

I mean if thats not the coolest description then I don't know!