ScottCM

I wonder if the Bushy parkrun distance has been officially verified, as this record is standing from 11/08/2012 :

Andrew BADDELEY​ | ​00:13:48

I'm sure they are measured correctly but properly not officially. I reckon there's opportunity to cut corners in a parkrun to the extent that you could share off at least 100m

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone actively target a 'race weight' in a race lead up?

(No not general weight loss battles...)

No I don't really...I measure myself as a guide because I feel I should lose a few kgs during the training period.. But don't necessarily Target a weight

Only time I do target a weight is for the full ironman's.  Otherwise, i generally keep an eye on my weight a few times a week and more closely during the big build weeks up to a race.

Nah..

I AM trying to stay as lean as possible in the build up to Tusker, but I use the feel of my body over weights and measures.

Sometimes, if I'm consistently surfing a lot, I get a bit bulky in the shoulder/lat region and this funnily makes trail running easier as the extra strength helps me keep my shape longer/easier.

But I'm no whippet. I think consistency is way more important than chasing 'race weight' or shedding for the wedding.

I also find if I do lose too much weight I get sick often. I would rather be strong consistently that risk being light and getting ill.

Where did you see this announcement?

I have been sitting on that secret for months now, waiting for the announcement. I know they are all rather excited and been prepping for months already. 

freedom challenge newsletter, maybe i jumped the gun a bit!

It's not the first time people are attempting to traverse the Freedom trail on foot. A few years ago, Australian runner Samantha Gash attempted the entire route. I can't recall how they got on but I remember the attempt. She has subsequently run across India and all sorts of ridiculous things.

roll back to how it all started. Lehana reckoned that running from Ct to maritzburg would be good comrades training. with the route couted he tried to convince other people it would be a good idea. with no takers he then flipped it around, threw in comrades as the Start got onto bikes(he didn't own a bike at the time) and did it with his brother and andrew king the next year. Freedom challenge only came in as the name in 2005.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031123124212/http://www.crosskaroo.com/

The 2004 Cross Karoo Cycle Challenge is a mountain bike race that will do the 2003 route in reverse. 

The 2004 Cross Karoo Cycle Challenge Challenge will start in Pietermaritzburg on Thursday 17 June 2004 and finish in Cape Town when you get there.  

freedom challenge newsletter, maybe i jumped the gun a bit!

roll back to how it all started. Lehana reckoned that running from Ct to maritzburg would be good comrades training. with the route couted he tried to convince other people it would be a good idea. with no takers he then flipped it around, threw in comrades as the Start got onto bikes(he didn't own a bike at the time) and did it with his brother and andrew king the next year. Freedom challenge only came in as the name in 2005.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031123124212/http://www.crosskaroo.com/

The 2004 Cross Karoo Cycle Challenge is a mountain bike race that will do the 2003 route in reverse. 

The 2004 Cross Karoo Cycle Challenge Challenge will start in Pietermaritzburg on Thursday 17 June 2004 and finish in Cape Town when you get there.  

Ha! Indeed yes.... But wanting to do something vs doing something are 2 different things!

Did Samantha Gash make it to Diemers in the end? 

Cheptegai just broke the world 5000m road record. 13:51. Only 14seconds off bekele's long standing world record....oh man.....The Olympics are gonna be insane... I'm literally peeing myself

The time should read 12:51

On a wayyy different topic. I haven't been to school athletics (or any other form thereof) since I was at school. Which is... not quite last year. 

So those from the area will know the 4M Athletics meeting - for those outside the Windelands, 4 all-girls schools from Paarl and Stellies (Paarl Girls, La Rochelle, Rhenish and Bloemhof) have annual 4M (or 4G, sorry) swimming and athletics meetings. 

What absolute awesome athletics and spirit! Wow, it was an amazing experience! 

The time should read 12:51

Correct.. In my excitement I mistyped. To put that in perspective..I was doing 200m intervals last night in and around 35 seconds for each 200m. After 15... With a recovery between I was knackered.... He ran the entire 5km faster or as fast as I was doing those repeats. Unbelievable. His speciality is 10km so between him and Kapruto it's going to be epic.

Olympics...I reckon the races to look out for are:

800m very strong chance if a world record here

10000m

5000m

Marathon

Ladies 1500m and 10000m

This is going to be a fun thread today for the 2 Oceans 58km!

on a serious note though, why that statement?

This is going to be a fun thread today for the 2 Oceans 58km!

I've heard the rumour before but still havent seen any actual confirmation?