ScottCM

Apparently some do :thumbdown:

Cannot understand this. Have made peace with the no Comrades this year and revised my goals. Doing some treadmill work with lots of core and cross training. My revised goal for post Covid wil be a new 5km pb. Maybe even try and finally break that sub 20. Not gonna spend my lockdown running thousands of 70m loops around the house l.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the number of back yard laps and people who running who don't run the rest of the year is a joke.

Remember Strava took a lot of time and money to build a special feature to protect your house privacy yet every single runner feels the need to prove to the world they are still running and show a map of, well, their house.

I have said it before, I will say it again. As a Geospatial expert, Strava is a criminals dream, they just don't know it yet.

Pick up patterns as to when you are home or not based on when you are running/cycling which also indicates work patterns. Add to it a list of who has what bikes stored where...

you're talking about the privacy zone?

which is just a self determined radius around wherever you want?

i have that on in 2 places, and am really surprised that many don't do it.

For one.. It's not even a difficult decision.. It's a no brainier that it won't go on.. And we all knew that over a month ago. Second point..... Because of the uncertainty people are trying to train in conditions that are not really suited for training.. And their minds should be in other things not in trying to get their miles in.. Thirdly.. Their lack of decision downplays the seriousness of this.

If I compare this to what Boston did.... An event that had a lot more history... And had never ever been postponed or cancelled in it's 124 years.... They announced they will be as making a decision on the next few days and then 2 days later they announced it. Ok that's end of April... But April, may, June, July.... It's all going to be in the air. To be Frank I don't see any sports events happening this year

It's quite obvious to everyone that the correct decision is to cancel or postpone. They should have announced it a month ago.. And that's what I find spineless about them

I'd rather suggest that "spineless" (probably a bit to harsh a word choice) would have been to simply give up all hope and postpone long ago.

Despite the odds against them, they are hanging on...Kind of like reaching 60km on comrades and everything is hurting.

Keeping their and the runners options open is not doing any serious harm, if a postponement option is taken they will need the delay to figure out when / how to achieve the new date.

The April news letter basically says it all:

"Considering the ramifications of the 21-day National Lockdown, and as Covid-19 numbers in South Africa and around the world continue to escalate, it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the 2020 Comrades Marathon will be staged on 14 June"

you're talking about the privacy zone?

which is just a self determined radius around wherever you want?

i have that on in 2 places, and am really surprised that many don't do it.

Is the privacy zone available for the free version of Strava? 

I'd rather suggest that "spineless" (probably a bit to harsh a word choice) would have been to simply give up all hope and postpone long ago.

Despite the odds against them, they are hanging on...

Kind of like reaching 60km on comrades and everything is hurting.

Keeping their and the runners options open is not doing any serious harm[/b][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

I don’t understand why its upsetting some runners so much. If you already made up your mind not to run, even if it gets postponed then move on.

I it is becoming increasingly unlikely 

I just want them to grab their balls and say it. maybe it is just me - but i just find their indecision alarming. But then It kind of falls in line with the changes in the CMA...the stories I hear make me actually not surprised. 

I just want them to grab their balls and say it. maybe it is just me - but i just find their indecision alarming. But then It kind of falls in line with the changes in the CMA...the stories I hear make me actually not surprised. 

That's my point, by not saying it they are literally kicking it in the balls and down the road...even if we all know it wont happen in June...it could still happen in August  :whistling:

Edited by SwissVan

Little bit from myside of the screen.

I've been so busy working I haven't even got lonely yet.

Suzie my pug is loving lockdown. She keeps an eye on me the whole time. Sleeps under my chair or sit on my lap.

Goodness me I washed more dishes this last 2 weeks than the last 20 years all together.

The fact that none of the events are happening does not bother me at all.

For me the most annoying thing is that my operation that was scheduled for 1 April has been postponed until after lockdown.

Which means I would have been discharged latest yesterday.

I am staying in a double story house and have 15 steps to get to my bedroom. Yes it is getting more of a challenge to get to the top.

My restriction of movement started end of January and will continue for at least 6 week after lockdown is lifted.

The good news is nobody is going anywhere at the moment so I do not have any FOMO.

I'm also a new subscriber to netflix and loving it.

Despite the odds against them, they are hanging on...Kind of like reaching 60km on comrades and everything is hurting.

Keeping their and the runners options open is not doing any serious harm, if a postponement option is taken they will need the delay to figure out when / how to achieve the new date.

The April news letter basically says it all:

"Considering the ramifications of the 21-day National Lockdown, and as Covid-19 numbers in South Africa and around the world continue to escalate, it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the 2020 Comrades Marathon will be staged on 14 June"

Thank you very much..... 

Suzie my pug is loving lockdown. She keeps an eye on me the whole time. Sleeps under my chair or sit on my lap.

Goodness me I washed more dishes this last 2 weeks than the last 20 years all together.

For me the most annoying thing is that my operation that was scheduled for 1 April has been postponed until after lockdown.

I am staying in a double story house and have 15 steps to get to my bedroom. Yes it is getting more of a challenge to get to the top.

My restriction of movement started end of January and will continue for at least 6 week after lockdown is lifted.

The good news is nobody is going anywhere at the moment so I do not have any FOMO.

That's sucks Mattie.... But at least you are keeping yourself occupied and your mind together

Netflix, The Money Heist. Excellent series. 

Don't know which is worse, dishes or the laundry... 

Still working long hours at home (me and the missus)... and home schooling, laundry, feeding kids 47 times a day, dishes, poop pick up (4 dogs) and soon I will have to tackle my silly big lawn which will be a strava workout all itself.

1st world problems  :D

But they didn't even say it... They put out some half arse weak media announcement saying maybe if and but. Spineless and directionaless

Seems like a lot of politics and fear factor creeping in with CMA, especially after the unhappiness of Minister Mthethwa after the last announcement. It's very clear that ASA want to call the shots here and have made that very clear to CMA. CMA therefore resorted to making, or felt it safer to make, the broad and slightly weak announcement?