ScottCM

I still prefer shorts. But when it gets -6 in the Free State you dont mind wearing tights.

I did a training session in sleet and snow this winter, and honestly your legs just done get cold. As long as your hands and head are warm you are fine because your legs are continuously pumping blood. I actually think you might overheat with tights

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THE PASSING OF NO 1 - CLIVE CRAWLEY

(30 April 1931 – 8 June 2020)

Comrades Runners throughout the world mourn the passing of Comrades number ONE, Clive Crawley on Monday 8 June 2020.

Clive was 89 years of age and will be fondly remembered as a pioneer and adventurer amongst the running community and particularly in Kwazulu Natal.

This was not your typical Bank Manager, but a gentleman whose competitive and adventurous spirit saw him seek out challenges.

He debuted in Comrades in 1957 finishing 15th in 8:02:30, behind Mercer Davis (6:13:55), but would go on to be the first runner to achieve the quadruple wreath for 40 races.

Virtually all his running was for Savages Athletic Club with his last finish, and 42nd medal, in the millennium comrades of 2000 with a time of 11:37, but his journey included a 5th place Gold in 1965.

He finished in the top 10 in both 1961 and 1972, (7th and 10th), but at the time Gold was only awarded to the top six.

In 1971 and 1972 he was first in his 40-year age category and had his fastest finish (6:11) in 1971. In total he earned 1 Gold, 22 Silvers and 19 bronze.

The race number 1 was first presented to Zulu Wade in the original 1921 event, and next used by Frances Hayward who amazingly, as a woman, had been officially accepted into the 1923 race.

The next seven appearances of number 1 were on the vest of historian Morris Alexander, who completed seven races over the war years of 1939 to 1952.

Clive was given the number on his debut in 1957 and has worn it with pride and dignity ever since.

Clive’s adventures were not restricted to running, and he was one of the pioneering groups in the history of the Duzi Canoe Marathon race from Maritzburg to Durban, and also earned 23 finishes and race number 12 in the Amashova race.

He also took to the mountains conquering many of the world’s peaks including the ascent to Everest base camp.

His early education was at Port Shepstone High School, and most of this working life was with Standard Bank in Durban, before retiring to Underberg where he and wife, Trish, became the driving forces behind the Sani (pass) Stagger marathon.

In 2016 they moved down to Raithby, on Stellenbosch wine route.

Although his running days reduced, he annually cycled his age in kilometres each year.

Clive had battled with leg problems since last year but had returned home where he passed away yesterday.

On May 1 this year, when lockdown restrictions were lifted, the villagers went out to each run varying distances that totalled 89km to celebrate his 89th birthday. Similar actions were undertaken by friends around the world.

Ironically this Comrades Legend ran his first race from Maritzburg City Hall to Kings Park Track. It was the first time that the race had finished there, a distance of 91km.

In only 6 days’ time the cancelled 2020 Comrades, would have been the 95th running and would have followed the same route, but finished 200m shorter in the Moses Mahbida Stadium.

This has been replaced by the Virtual Comrades which has already attracted over 20000 entries: There would be few more fitting acts for the Number 1 ‘Race the Legends’ medal to honour Clive Crawley, Comrades number 1.

Be sure that many will be running in honour of this legend on Sunday 14 June – Rest in Peace Clive Crawley – your journey lives on.

Interesting. As far as I can find there are no SA athletes who come anywhere near sub 8min 3km in 2020 according to ASA lists (on track). The quickest in 2020 is 8min10 by Sipho Mbanjwa. Can't find a list for 2019 for 3000m but in 2018 only one SA athlete ran sub 8min - 7min53 by Ryan Mphahlele.

The SA record is 7min41 and the World record is 7min20 set in 1996 by Kenyan, Daniel Komen.

Edited by b-rad

Don't think it will be on the track as the last word is "ROAD" so therefore it won't be official and will probably cause as much discussion as his 5k did. Either way he looks in tip top form and must be hating on Covid right now.

Don't think it will be on the track as the last word is "ROAD" so therefore it won't be official and will probably cause as much discussion as his 5k did. Either way he looks in tip top form and must be hating on Covid right now.

Aha I missed that Post edited

Anyone doing the Virtual Comrades? Honestly I didn’t feel like going through the admin of entering. Would be interesting to see how many runners do the 90km in their suburbs.

Only doing the half marathon on Sunday. No ways I would run 90km and then alone with no spectators - no ways!

Only doing the half marathon on Sunday. No ways I would run 90km and then alone with no spectators - no ways!

22,000 people registered so far (across all distances)....you won't be alone out there.

Anyone doing the Virtual Comrades? Honestly I didn’t feel like going through the admin of entering. Would be interesting to see how many runners do the 90km in their suburbs.

My wife and i are in..........The only time we will be able to say we did the comrades marathon. But we have only registered for the 21km. 

Its the same stretch of road he did the 5km on, he'll just stop at 3km this time.

Next month - 4 min mile.... not sure if that needs comic sans