ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2014 Expedition Africa on the Wild Coast, I contracted Typhoid... on what I assume was day 2 during a 115km Trek leg from Port Edward to Port St Johns.

I spent the next 4 days having to make emergency pit stops during the race all the time. I ran out of wet wipes, I ran out of everything so spent the last 24 hours riding my bike with runny poop all over me.

It wasn't pretty........ But we finished and it is now funny. 

The stories out of that race :mellow:

What do you guys use for running metrics? I seem to have the indoor cycling set up. 

Now turning to my treadmill, I have the Garmin fenix 6x (with HRM dual) and apple watch series 5, both of which I believe I can use. However inaccurate. 

Looking at footpods the stryd looks like first prize, but cant find one for love or money at the moment.

The wahoo tickr x came up, as well as the wahoo rpm kit, not sure if the cadence sensor I got with kickr will work. But prepared to look at either option that offerscvalue, and hopefully I can source easily.

Garmin footpods seem common but the least recommended from what I can find. 

Do any of you use footpods, and find value in them? 

What do you guys use for running metrics? I seem to have the indoor cycling set up. 

Now turning to my treadmill, I have the Garmin fenix 6x (with HRM dual) and apple watch series 5, both of which I believe I can use. However inaccurate. 

Looking at footpods the stryd looks like first prize, but cant find one for love or money at the moment.

The wahoo tickr x came up, as well as the wahoo rpm kit, not sure if the cadence sensor I got with kickr will work. But prepared to look at either option that offerscvalue, and hopefully I can source easily.

I have the Fenix 3 with HRM Run and the metrics I get from there is sufficient for my use as it does Cadence as well as Ground Contact Time which were the two main things I focused on when getting back into running to ensure I minimise impact on my joints. 

These days I just have to glance at my cadence  while running to know that I am in the ballpark.

I think the next revolution will be running with power, but those devices are still few and far between so might still be a while before I jump onto that.

I have run with a Stryd footpod for the last 2 years, has changed the way I run for both training and racing.  Training as I can dial in which zones to hit for certain intervals and definitely pacing when it comes to a race.  I run purely on target power these days rather than pace or HR.  My HR generally relates to power, so I know if I stay to certain power zones, my HR will correspond accordingly.

Stryd pod you can get https://www.dinamic-coaching.com/shop/.  It is not cheap and there are alternatives and work around:

For training, many now train on pace and a percentage of your lactate threshold pace rather than HR.

Garmin not long ago introduced on the Fenix and 945 "PacePro" https://www.garmin.com/en-US/performance-data/wearable-maps/pacepro-feature/ If you have a GPX file for a race you are doing, you can input all the data and your desired race finish time and PacePro will do the rest, taking into account changes in elevation etc and advising what pace to run accordingly.  So if you struggle to pace properly or burn matches by attacking hills, it is something to consider.

As for TickrX and garmin run pod, cannot comment as have not used, but am sure DC Rainmaker will have indepth write up on them.

So CapeTown Marathon has been cancelled.  4 months notice and a full refund.  They going to do a virtual race on the day.  Doubt there will be any races this year!!

Have seen similar with some of the elites in big marathons and Comrades. Sometimes stopping is not on their agenda

At Dublin marathon last year.. The 3:10 bus caught up with me in the last 3 miles and I held on for dear life to try join them home... For 1.5 miles I ran behind the balloon guy who had somewhere on route had an accident and now there was a long dried crusty streak running down his leg.... That's commitment to the bus!

In 2014 Expedition Africa on the Wild Coast, I contracted Typhoid... on what I assume was day 2 during a 115km Trek leg from Port Edward to Port St Johns.

I spent the next 4 days having to make emergency pit stops during the race all the time. I ran out of wet wipes, I ran out of everything so spent the last 24 hours riding my bike with runny poop all over me.

It wasn't pretty........ But we finished and it is now funny. 

"finished?"  i remember seeing your team near the end and you had taken to sampling some of the local product by that stage.....

The stories out of that race :mellow:

indeed. read mine here

i got tickbite fever from this one...

I have run with a Stryd footpod for the last 2 years, has changed the way I run for both training and racing.  Training as I can dial in which zones to hit for certain intervals and definitely pacing when it comes to a race.  I run purely on target power these days rather than pace or HR.  My HR generally relates to power, so I know if I stay to certain power zones, my HR will correspond accordingly.

Stryd pod you can get https://www.dinamic-coaching.com/shop/.  It is not cheap and there are alternatives and work around:

For training, many now train on pace and a percentage of your lactate threshold pace rather than HR.

Garmin not long ago introduced on the Fenix and 945 "PacePro" https://www.garmin.com/en-US/performance-data/wearable-maps/pacepro-feature/ If you have a GPX file for a race you are doing, you can input all the data and your desired race finish time and PacePro will do the rest, taking into account changes in elevation etc and advising what pace to run accordingly.  So if you struggle to pace properly or burn matches by attacking hills, it is something to consider.

As for TickrX and garmin run pod, cannot comment as have not used, but am sure DC Rainmaker will have indepth write up on them.

appreciated, spoke to Neil now, and snapped up a Stryd V3, they will send it up here tomorrow. Rather do it once and properly, I have been going over review over review, and seems like a worthwhile investment in the long run, no pun intended lol 

i fo$$en shoot myself before i invest time and money into treadmill training (granted i live in kaapstad)

i fo$$en shoot myself before i invest time and money into treadmill training (granted i live in kaapstad)

Lol fair point, will be doing that on the weekends, wish I was down in the cape!

Right now getting a solid ass whipping hiding on this learning curve today was just more fun and games and cleats falling off, clearly there's more to setting them up,but got my workout in the bag for the day, so theirs that

Lol fair point, will be doing that on the weekends, wish I was down in the cape!

Right now getting a solid ass whipping hiding on this learning curve today was just more fun and games and cleats falling off, clearly there's more to setting them up,but got my workout in the bag for the day, so theirs that

So power numbers settled down now that bike is clamped in the Kickr properly?

You may want to invest in a bike setup for correct cleat positions as well as bike fit.  Especially with the back issues. Try https://www.cyclefit.co.za/

You may want to invest in a bike setup for correct cleat positions as well as bike fit.  Especially with the back issues. Try https://www.cyclefit.co.za/

Bike setup for me is still the most important 'upgrade' you can make to your performance... being setup well obviously ensures optimum efficiency on the bike, but also reducing injuries is money well spent.

It should be the first thing anyone does when they get a new bike, but it generally seems to be an afterthought for most.

Marco and Arran at CycleFit are very good at what they do  :thumbup:

Bike setup for me is still the most important 'upgrade' you can make to your performance... being setup well obviously ensures optimum efficiency on the bike, but also reducing injuries is money well spent.

It should be the first thing anyone does when they get a new bike, but it generally seems to be an afterthought for most.

Marco and Arran at CycleFit are very good at what they do  :thumbup:

Going to contact them and book first thing tomorrow, hopefully iron out these last few technical hiccups .may need new road pedals first, as I put mtb pedals on mine, the spd cleat didn't hold well to the roadshoe. 

Bikefit it is ASAP 

It looks like Hamburg Marathon and half marathon will go ahead on September 13. The race was meant to take place in April.

10000 runners in the marathon starting in batches of about 1000 every 10 minutes and only 30 elites. Athletes from higher risk countries will not be able to participate (same for elites) and elites will need to be tested.

4000 runners in the half marathon also in batch starts.

Separate start and finish areas for the 42 and 21 and other procedures.

Let's hope it's a start for more big events to carry on with their events.

We are the Gauteng Agents for Stryd and we do have one unit left.  I had bought it for myself to replace my original non-wind unit which is going on 3 years old now, but If you are serious then we can sell it to you.