ScottCM

Don't expect Comrades association to do anything about it.

This questionable result from 2018 is still there and valid despite me raising it with them. I provided proof that there were no photographs of him between Winston park and the finish as well as highlighting these splits to them and nothing was done

attachicon.gifsachin.JPG

Such a shame. This type of person shouldn't ever be allowed to enter Comrades and there should be a worldwide cheat blacklist that blocks any attempted entry to any race by such an individual.

Mark Dowdeswell has uncovered a number of cheats in Comrades by using splits, picture evidence etc. and yet very little seems to be done after it is bought to the attention of the CMA. Take a stance on cheats. That's all we ask of CMA and all other organisers.

It's not just a SA thing. Lots of cheating goes on worldwide it seems with average runners cheating to try obtain the various time standards in order to enter the big marathons like Boston. Why??

I reported a cheat to New York Road Runners association after passing a runner close to the finish line and noticing he was definitely not capable of running anything close to the time he was finishing. I searched through many pictures and submitted these as proof. He was running with a homemade copy of another runners number who finished legitimately. Why? To get a medal and boast to his clueless mates that he'd run NY Marathon. Who knows.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People cheat in physical races... there were always going to be a few more doing so in a virtual race that's near on impossible to police.

The age old question remains... Why? What do you honestly get out of such a brainfart, except for praise for something you didn't do, and therefore surely you can't value the praise anyway...  :ph34r:  :stupid:

It's also very clear that those submitting false times actually have no clue just how unrealistic their submitted times are. They may be runners/joggers now and then but have likely never actually watched a race of any kind and have no idea of what a real legitimate top class time is. Hence some of the world record type times we are seeing for this event.

And I say it again!! ELAPSED TIMES NOT moving times!!

I must say, after uploading my gpx file, I think the problem may be due to technology. I did a 2hr 21km,but when I uploaded it, I finished with a time of 1:49. Not too sure how that works.

Such a shame. This type of person shouldn't ever be allowed to enter Comrades and there should be a worldwide cheat blacklist that blocks any attempted entry to any race by such an individual.

Mark Dowdeswell has uncovered a number of cheats in Comrades by using splits, picture evidence etc. and yet very little seems to be done after it is bought to the attention of the CMA. Take a stance on cheats. That's all we ask of CMA and all other organisers.

It's not just a SA thing. Lots of cheating goes on worldwide it seems with average runners cheating to try obtain the various time standards in order to enter the big marathons like Boston. Why??

I reported a cheat to New York Road Runners association after passing a runner close to the finish line and noticing he was definitely not capable of running anything close to the time he was finishing. I searched through many pictures and submitted these as proof. He was running with a homemade copy of another runners number who finished legitimately. Why? To get a medal and boast to his clueless mates that he'd run NY Marathon. Who knows.

It drives me nuts. That chap that I reported really pissed me off at the time. I even had a discussion with him on Facebook and he just brushed it off. I couldn't even run on West Street that particular year my legs were so knackered.. Yet this chap just strolls in for a similar time as me...grrrrr

It's also very clear that those submitting false times actually have no clue just how unrealistic their submitted times are. They may be runners/joggers now and then but have likely never actually watched a race of any kind and have no idea of what a real legitimate top class time is. Hence some of the world record type times we are seeing for this event.

And I say it again!! ELAPSED TIMES NOT moving times!!

I think a lot of them were either clueless.. Or downgraded to a shorter distance and didn't change their entered distance

It's lekker to have your name in a Comrades result sheet

I must say, after uploading my gpx file, I think the problem may be due to technology. I did a 2hr 21km,but when I uploaded it, I finished with a time of 1:49. Not too sure how that works.

Did you pause your watch at all in the run or maybe have it on automatic pause when stationery? The other reason for this is that you ran more than the 21.1km and they then adjust the time down

Did you pause your watch at all in the run or maybe have it on automatic pause when stationery? The other reason for this is that you ran more than the 21.1km and they then adjust the time down

I'm guessing this is the case. I ran around 13km but entered the 10km and when I uploaded my file it just cut it down to the 10km mark.

Im soooo bleak..one of the best events, Lynford 50km trail,  that I have been working myself up to, ive only dont the 2 day version, has been cancelled.  I dont know why I didn't anticipate it, figured maybe because its such a small event and in Sept, that it would happen but sadly another one falls. 

Im soooo bleak..one of the best events, Lynford 50km trail,  that I have been working myself up to, ive only dont the 2 day version, has been cancelled.  I dont know why I didn't anticipate it, figured maybe because its such a small event and in Sept, that it would happen but sadly another one falls. 

I think it is safe to say there will be no racing this year. I know KK100 and Skyrun are still holding out at least.

Coach put us onto chasing pb's which is a good way to stay motivated.

I think it is a good chance to go find just awesome runs to do for fun and enjoyment.

The KZN folk are lucky, you can go do the Mnweni marathon route for fun. Or Parts of the traverse. Go run Karkloof trails.

Capetonians also lucky with things like 13 peaks to run(even if you do 2 a week for a few weeks.

Here in GP it is a bit s*** but we trying at least.

I'm sitting wondering the same thing about SeweweeksPoort. Contactless sport or not...

And I've already made up my mind that even if Cape Town does (somehow) NOT get cancelled, there's a snowman's hope that I'll take a sachet from somebody's hand as early as October.

Weve been doing a lot of orienteering...havent had so much fun in ages! Thank goodness we have some amazing areas here to keep ourselves sane.

We also hoping cape town marathon doesnt get cancelled but I think most events will be until 2021.

Im very keen to see the new cricket format that these guys have come up with...3 teams with 8 players.  2 teams fielding and 1 team batting, last batsman can stay in, just need to run 2s ..

I'm sitting wondering the same thing about SeweweeksPoort. Contactless sport or not...

And I've already made up my mind that even if Cape Town does (somehow) NOT get cancelled, there's a snowman's hope that I'll take a sachet from somebody's hand as early as October.

Since Sunday I have been pondering this. I done the Virtual Half Comrades using my hydration backpack and it was horrible. My calves and shoulders definitely felt it. Yet I don’t see any other way of doing things going forward? The carry my own movement is definitely going to pick up steam going forward.

Since Sunday I have been pondering this. I done the Virtual Half Comrades using my hydration backpack and it was horrible. My calves and shoulders definitely felt it. Yet I don’t see any other way of doing things going forward? The carry my own movement is definitely going to pick up steam going forward.

Backpack or hydration vest? Big difference. Backpacks are not made for running. You won't even notice a hydration vest with 2x 500ml bottles.

Backpack or hydration vest? Big difference. Backpacks are not made for running. You won't even notice a hydration vest with 2x 500ml bottles.

Backpack with a 1.5l bladder. Pre lockdown I had actually started shopping for a vest as I had come to the same conclusion. Either way getting a vest now will not be a waste.

I did the 45km with a friend. Was so nice running and not chacing a time. Just doing the distance in a comfortable fashion. Had serious FOMO as 7 of mates went the full distance.