MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

So for anyone hoping to ride at Jonkers in the near future, where can we find up-to-date information on whether the trails are open or not? Tried Cape Nature and a few other sites without any luck. I was there last weekend and the road up to Saaltjie had big 'closed' signs on it for logging. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for anyone hoping to ride at Jonkers in the near future, where can we find up-to-date information on whether the trails are open or not? Tried Cape Nature and a few other sites without any luck. I was there last weekend and the road up to Saaltjie had big 'closed' signs on it for logging. 

The MTO facebook page

I find this behavior beyond disgusting.

Everyone feels that they are entitled to everything and will destroy everything in their path to get it.

I am fully in support of the protest against the protest bike ride with our privilege and all.

It is time to take a stand against this destruction.

If nothing gets done and we just sit back and watch things unfold, nothing will stop Jonkershoek nature reserve turning into a squatter camp

Charges of entitlement? Strong whiff of irony there based on how you choose to define the problem there. That type of thinking is exactly how this thing is going to inflame the situation. Did you ever consider looking at the heart of the argument and supporting that, and ask them to tone down the violence so more of rich fat okes on bikes can join the legitimate protest? or is service delivery not your problem?

Charges of entitlement? Strong whiff of irony there based on how you choose to define the problem there. That type of thinking is exactly how this thing is going to inflame the situation. Did you ever consider looking at the heart of the argument and supporting that, and ask them to tone down the violence so more of rich fat okes on bikes can join the legitimate protest? or is service delivery not your problem?

Where has the "heart" of the argument been expounded? I'd like to try and understand what the issues are. Right now I have little sympathy for people who break and vandalize SA's limited resources and infrastructure to make a point that perhaps isn't even valid...

Where has the "heart" of the argument been expounded? I'd like to try and understand what the issues are. Right now I have little sympathy for people who break and vandalize SA's limited resources and infrastructure to make a point that perhaps isn't even valid...

Would also like to know. The story I've heard is that it's not even the locals that are protesting and making the demands on property.

I do realise that I have very strong opinions that are not always politically correct and that I will generate a lot of criticism for speaking my mind. You are also entitled to your opinion and try to shape mine.

I do feel sympathy for poor people. I don't feel sympathy for poor people with 5 kids.

I feel sympathy for people trying to improve their circumstances in their communities. I don't feel sympathy for them if their solution to this is to burn everything down to the ground.

I don't agree with land expropriation and everyone gets a free house built by government, free medical aid, free university, etc.

In my mind I cannot see a positive outcome to that. It's the same as when we give money at the robots to beggars, we are not helping or empowering them, instead we keep them begging there.

Same as me saying I support the counter protest. Probably not the safest idea to spend your Saturday morning...

"But with all of us sitting idly by and having sympathy for the cause has not gotten us very much either", he said as he walked over the ashes of another burnt down hospital wondering if things ever truly would get better...

Broadly there appears to be an issue with supplying what amounts to a public works project and service delivery, on land which is being leased by one entity – and in principle belongs to a national government agency. An agency which serves to protect ecology – an aim usually diametrically opposed to housing projects.

The Jonkershoek valley has a low saturation point for absorbing relatively unskilled labour – here aren’t any massive fruit farms, for instance. And in the hierarchy of demand, there are a great deal more people who are clustered together in a more serviceable scale, and have been waiting far longer, for homes and service delivery, on the other side of Stellenbosch. Priority for local government is to serve the need on the north western side of town, not in the Jonkershoek valley.

That last issue undoes much of the claim currently being tabled by the protesting faction. A faction which also appears to have no community cohesion – and is resorting to extreme tactics in an attempt to elicit any response from stakeholders who control resources. A very uncomfortable impasse.

I don’t think a mountain biking show of force would do any good – and I’m a daily Jonkershoek rider. The only solution will be found between community leaders, MTO, Cape Nature, local government and the private land owners who border the informal settlement. We hope for resolution, as the Jonkershoek nature reserve in itself, does serve as a relief zone for many outdoor enthusiasts.  

Edited by Lance Cruz

Thanks for that Lance. Are the vandals people who have arrived recently to the area or long standing residents who have been waiting for some form of security of tenure or housing for years and years? 

I wonder how local businesses are affected? The Ride Inn must lose business and possibly employees as a result... 

My understanding is that a small group of radicals are holding the community hostage, with the promise of undeliverable expectations. 

The uncomfortable truth, if you matrix the housing issue in Stellenbosch, is that the Jonkershoek informal community simply don't have the numbers, or location, to be a priority for local government. 

Will Cape Nature allow a housing project on its land, bordering a nature reserve? If an angel investor and NGO manages to deliver the swift miracle housing solution, considering how few people there actually are, does this trigger massive protests on the other side of town? 

All I know is, it's been a very cold winter here. Which we are grateful for, in terms of the water table, but living in an informal home, in the shadow of those peaks, creates horrible TB conditions. And people who are desperate, will be lead astray by radicals promising the undeliverable. 

There are some very clever people who live in the valley and have a better understanding of the issues, and more resources, than most of us. We hope they enter the debate to mediate. 

Edited by Lance Cruz

• 1 month later...

So I saw a post on IG about Status Quo and am keen to have a look but not sure where it is, can anyone describe the best route to the trailhead?

So I saw a post on IG about Status Quo and am keen to have a look but not sure where it is, can anyone describe the best route to the trailhead?

It’s just before the start of armageddon by Saaltjie. Take some balls of steel with, it’s a bit steep. [emoji38]

You... At jonkershoek haha, I'll pay to see that!